“the return was still impressive” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
15% off + Webcome Package
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Ontario
“the return was still impressive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Upon returning to The Lady Hamilton-Palladium resort in Jamaica (Jan.25-Feb.1, 2013), after a 2 year absence, we were still impressed by the level of service, quality of food, and keen, friendly nature of the staff. Yes there were some hiccups in small requests, but the outcome was very satisfying.
If anything, we found the entertainment better than previous (which was hard to beleive).
My compliments on a resort that is maintained and to a staff that is very accomodating.
It was worth the return.
Thanks.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (946)
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have been to GPLH twice in the last two years and we are going back soon. Having been to Jamaica at least 6 times(Sunset Beach, Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, Holiday Inn Sunpree, Wexford Hotel), I have to say GPLH is an excellent value. Here is an unbiased review

Location from Montego Bay:
It is about a 45 minute ride to the resort. We always book transfers with JTL Travel and have never had a problem getting to the resort or stood around waiting for the bus to come and take us back to the airport. Also our bus is always the one headed towards Negril so the people staying at the Grand Palladium are the first stop before continuing on the resorts in Negril. Very reliable and relaxing! Yes as soon as you are getting your bags to depart the airport, the men who can transport your bags come up to you to pick up your bags and direct you to your bus or cab. Some may say they are pushy - this is their job and I don't mind tipping them for the service.

Resort:
It is huge. There are 2 sides. Jamaica vs Lady Hamilton. We always stay on the Lady Hamilton. The Lady Hamilton is pricier and closer to most of the beaches and spa/workout facility. If you don't mind walking to al ot of the amenities and want to save a few dollars you can stay on Jamaica side.

Restaurants:
There are several restaurants on the property. 2 closed air buffets open for breakfast,lunch, dinner- Negril and Mobay. They have an omelett chef every morning. The variety is great. Also for lunch there is a pasta chef. Quite tasty as well. you will not go hungry. Also there is an open air buffet facility as well next to Italian restaurant for breakfast and maybe lunch. We always do the closed buffets for breakfast - just a preference.
There are many a la carte restaurants - no reservations take. First come first serve unless you have a different color bracelet(red I believe which you get from being returning patron or club member, etc).
Yes all the restaurants are not open every night. but all you have to do is walk around the resort and go the the different restaurants to see the nights they are open. Pretty simple.
I have eaten at the Indian, Poisedon, Italian, and Mexican - all were really good. There is a long wait for the Bubba's steakhouse so plan accordingly. Usually if you go early- around 5:30pm, there is less wait.

There are 5 pools -
Infinity pool is the main pool where the music is going all day, water aerobics, daily sports competitions, dance classes, etc. It is quite loud so if you like a quieter atmosphere you may want to go off to the beach or one of the other pools.
Roselle pool is a small pool with a bar on the Jamaica side - quiet.
Coral pool is an adult only pool on the Lady Hamilton side - havent been there - we travel with kids.
Kiddie pool at Kids club - very small and shallow
Spa has a lazy river pool

Jr suite vs 1 Bedroom Ste.
I have stayed in both. The jr suite is one room with small sitting area next to the bed. There is a pullout couch that 2 kids can sleep on comfortably. 1 Tv in the room and 1 balcony.
1 Bedroom Ste. has 2 separate rooms. When you enter there is a sitting area with tv and a balcony. The couch is a pull out couch that 2 kids can sleep on comfortably.
The bedroom has a King size bed and tv and I believe table and chair with another balcony. I like this room because kids can have a separate tv to watch. The cost difference is at least $200.00 for the stay. The bathroom are huge. The shower head faces towards the glass door so you have to maneuver it so water doesnt come out of the shower. Not impossible. There is a deep soaking tub and ample counter space to put toiletries on vanity.

AC
As long as you leave a room key in the slot by the front door - your room will remain cool. If you open the balcony door - the AC shuts off.

The beverage assistants are pretty good about keeping mini-fridge stocked with beverages(water, cola and orange soda, and beer). If you ask nicely, they are usually pretty accomadating about keeping it stocked or if you like one particular item more than another let them know.
Housekeeping:
I have stayed in the same building both times and my housekeeper was amazing. Shot out to Hyacinth. She was always friendly and meticulous about the room. Also no room service or bringing food back to your room.

Sports Bar
Usually quite hot - AC must not work properly. There are TVs in there usually on ESPN or another sports channel. They have table tennis, fusball, and pool tables in there. I have found sometimes balls are missing so we bring our on stuff. Not a big deal. The kids like the sports bar because there are endless amounts of Nachos, Self serve ice cream, and popcorn to enjoy. Also you can order burgers, beer/chicken patties, or sports bar type foods. The people at the bar work hard there so be kind and patient. They will get to you.

Beaches
Several beaches - Las Brisas,Gully, Coral, and Sunset Cove
Coral is adults only
Las Brisas is in front of the Main Infinity Pool
We have mostly gone to the Sunset Cove where the water sports are located - paddle boats - free, banana boats - I belive there is a charge, etc. It is next to Poisedon which has a bar. Also the Jerk Hut is located at Sunset Cove where you can eat paella and jerk chicken - very good and not to be missed. Limited hours for the jerk hut - I think they are open 12-3pm.

Kids Club
Very good crew. Barbie, Bubbles, etc. My son liked it the first year but the second year he had kind of found other interest. They have scheduled activities each day. And they will take the kids to lunch at the buffet daily. They have the kids practice dance moves or prep them for a fashion show and in the evening there is a kids show. The kids show is right before the nightly entertainment. I feel that my son is safe when I leave him at the kids club and he wants to go(first time). I would ask him what he wanted to do and he would always say, just drop me off at the kids club.

There are tennis courts, putt-putt, basketball goals, archery, and soccer field. A bit worn but usuable.

There is so much to do at this resort.

Side note last year my son stepped on a tack in the bathroom - the managers and resort nurse were extremely helpful making sure he received the care he needed. They allowed me to call home to the states to talk to his doctor, get on the internet to review his records, etc.

Each year I always want to try somewhere new for vacation, but once I look around, I always come back to the the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Six months ago we were at this hotel and absolutely loved it, so much we went back six months later. First of all we go to Jamaica every March usually the 3rd week. This time we went the first week and found the weather to be spectacular but the pool water cold and the ocean colder than we like it. Ok about the ocean on this property. In September of 2012 there were tons of rocks you could only get in the water in this small area near the bungalows. Which was fine we enjoyed that. This time that area was filled with rocks as well and even with water shoes the rocks hurt your feet. I tried going in and didn't see the rocks and had a hard time getting out. What resort do you go to and not one person is in the Caribbean Ocean? That was so disappointing on so many levels. We were told the other side Sunset Cove you could go in no rocks, no seaweed but that side has way too many cats (I'm petrified of cats). So that being said, I was disappointed about the water. My other complaint this time was the housekeeping. Three days we went back to our room at 5 pm and our room wasn't cleaned yet, no fresh towels. I had to hunt them down for the towels. The food was great as was the first time and the people were so friendly. We loved the atmosphere there. I love all the walking and the beautiful scenery. Hate all the cats!!! LOL. Anyway, I don't think we will be going back because we love to be in the ocean. We suggested many time that they do something about that. We will return to Jamaica again either later this year or again next March, God willing, and try somewhere else. I'll keep you posted. Love hearing other experiences. Safe and Happy Vacations to all traveling!!!!

Room Tip: Buildings 37,36,27,26 are the best I think.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
FiestaJamaica, Food and Beverage Director at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Kathy P:

We appreciate the time which you have taken to share your vacation experience while at our beautiful Resort.
Thanks specially for your good comments about the food at our Hotel. I'm sorry about the temperature of the water at the pool and beaches, I think this is cause because of the season that you visit us.
About the cats, sometimes its very challenging, since we have some animal lovers that feed them, and it's a permanent issue. We will try the best to keep everyone happy about this.
Thank you very much about your comments, this helps us to impove every day and get better and better.

Best regards
Eugenia Santos
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed at GPLH from Feb 23 –Mar 2 in a group in 16. We had a great trip.

The Junior Suite was plenty big for the two of us, we got the king sized bed we asked for and it was clean. The maid did a great job everyday, we always had towels and our fridge was always stocked. We did use the door reminder that either said “Do Not Disturb” or if you flipped it over, it says “Please make up room”. Whenever this was in the door, every time we came back, the room was already done. We only got the standard 2 bottle of water, beer and a few bottles of pop each day. Some of our friends got more by asking or leaving a tip in the fridge but we were fine. Our shower never leaked but we had read the reviews so made sure to keep the flow of water from streaming right on the door and never had a flood. The jetted tub was wonderful. Our AC worked great and we left a key in the slot at all times. One room in our group had a bad AC, they called for repair and it was fixed right away. The beds were definitely to be desired. The pillows were definitely flat and the bed was not something you would describe as comfy. One sheet and a thin blanket were on the bed and extra pillows were found in the closet, but they were still the same flat pillows. The pillow menu was there for $3 USD a night per pillow with 5 different selections but we didn’t bother. We were in room 3323 and from our balcony you could see a small part of the water.

Buffets - Breakfast was the same each morning. There was a station where you could get omelettes or just have them cook you a few eggs, scrambled was pre made on the buffet. Hash browns, pancakes, French toast, ham, a few pastries, toast, fruit, yogurt, cereal, fruit juices and smoothies. It was perfectly fine for me for the week.

Lunch buffets changes daily. The things that stayed the same were breads and lots of them. Rolls, and loafs you could cut. Pasta station, dessert station with fruit. Burger station with fries you could just grab. Some days there was a Panini station and there was always a salad and cheese bar. Then there were hot items that changed daily. We loved lunch and found huge variety here. We did not do supper at the buffet.

We visited 4 restaurants. In order of our favorites, Bubbas, Italian, Mexican, Asian. All were good but the service at the Asian was a not so great. We also visited Poseidon for lunch on afternoon, and that was just ok. The group of 9 we had for lunch all agreed, the buffet was better. Jerk Chicken hut was good, 2 sauce choices, hot and really hot. I opted for no sauce and if you avoided the skin, the chicken was nice and mild.

We only visited the Spa one morning but it was very relaxing and you should go if you want a nice quiet place. We visited the hot tub and the pool there. We did not purchase any services because we found them too expensive. $80 for a 30min massage, yikes.

Drinks were good, not watered down in any way. One in our group had to keep asking for weaker drinks, (not me). Miami Vice and Hummingbird’s were popular among our group. Me being a wine drinker, I was really disappointed with the house wine at the bars and restaurants. YUCK. It tasted like homemade. So each night at dinner, I would splurge and buy a bottle for the table. Most of the restaurants had a special on a particular one and I would get that. $21.90 for a bottle of wine is not bad. Shame though as it is “all inclusive” and I still had to buy it. If you did not finish the bottle you were allowed to leave the restaurant with it and then we would just as a bar tender for wine glasses.

We did frequent the Sports Bar a lot as it was so convenient but not a place we spent a lot of time in at once. Great for a late night snack before bed. Limited menu after a certain time but quick.

The gift shop has tons of stuff so if you forget something or need something, they probably have it. Expensive though. There were even linen pants for men in there.

We used the wi-fi in the lobby. Service was ok. It was hard to ‘facetime’ as the lobby echoes and is loud. It worked the best right in front of the check in desks. If you stepped too far away from there, I lost the signal. They did offer a Premium wi-fi for a charge. It started at $4 for 30min so not bad if you needed access for something important.

The resort was NOT over-run with cats. Yes, we saw them, maybe 10 all week. They never approached you and most were just basking in the sun. A complete non-issue for us.

All of the staff was great and even when some were cranky, we considered the fact they deal with thousands of people day in and day out and not all of them are sober or polite I’m sure. No one was overly rude or purposefully mean or inconsiderate of us as a guest. 90% would bend over backwards to make sure you were ok.

The beaches were as the other reviews said, some rocky, Sunset being the best for the sand. Sunset also has all the activities there, paddle boat, snorkeling, etc

The 2 things that would be nice to see at this resort one day would be drink service on the beach and room service to your room.

Overall we had a great trip. Would we go back to this resort, absolutely.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I along with my best friend and her husband stayed from March 7th -12th, 2013. The hotel is beautiful; we had a lovely time; the service was good. We had small mishaps like the phone went out for over 5 hours, and we purchase four days of internet service which it only really work for one day. The tech wrote on my receipt that I should receive a credit for 2 of the four days which I was told at checkout they could not issue until a later date. The biggest disappointment for us was the food; it was not edible; it was never warm or hot; no matter what restaurant you ate at on the resort. The bread was stale, the potatoes were old, there was not a wide variety of vegetables or meat. Enjoyed time with other couples visiting the resorts who shared the same opinion regarding the food. We've stayed over the years at a number of resorts Mexico, DR, Venezula, Uruguay, and the Bahamas; however none with food this bad.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Assistant Food & Beverage Director at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Linda McArt,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments based on your recent vacation spent at our Resort. I am sorry we were unable to meet your expectations. We are grateful for your positive comments about the facilities and the service.

The internet connection is being repaired due to dificulties with the company wich provide the service. Let me express my apologie for that issue. We have an extensive variety of menu items including the delicious jerk chicken ath the jerk hut which I trust that you have tried during your stay. All our 7 a la carte restaurants and our buffets offer delicious menu items that are sure to please any appetite and will ensure that everyone can be satisfied.

It was our pleasure having you with us and we welcome your future visit.

Best Regards.

Victor Caride
Assistant Food & Beverage Director
St. Catharines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This resort is beautiful.. from the grand staircase upon arrival, the gorgeous ocean views, the spacious rooms with the jetted tubs,large sitting areas & welcoming balconies... to the spectacular pools with stunning white columns rising from them.. The many beaches on this large resort are all well-maintained and there is no lack of 'welcoming' lounges to lay back and escape on. The glorious sunsets are especially breathtaking from the main beach at 'Sunset Cove'..The villas are primarily located on a 'point' so you have the ocean on both sides .. Enjoying your morning coffee or an evening cocktail on your balcony while listening to the ocean waves is heaven..
The food outlets were impressive.. We dined at a different a la carte restaurant each evening of our week long stay. "Bubba's Steakhouse" had a scrumptious Beef Tenderloin and the Italian "Reggaetoni" restaurant had delicious pasta dishes served up 'al fresco' overlooking the ocean.
My lovely niece wed her soul-mate at a beautiful ceremony that took place in a gazebo adorned with seashells, hydrangeas and flowing tulle, with the ocean as a backdrop.. It was absolutely one of the most memorable 'snapshot moments' in my life.. Incredible venue, Impeccable service, Great Attention to detail.. What's not to Love!.. Would Love to return!!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sudbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The room and view from the room was fantastic. (10 out of 10) We had the upstairs suite (2nd floor) with my buddy and his wife beside us. These 2 story buildings all face the ocean. EXCELLENT. We like being here because it was quite and near the adult pool and bar (open from 10 to 10)

The beaches are ok. (7 out of 10) Lot’s of sea eartchins so I would recommend water shoes. We saw at least 5 people with stings. I did a bit of snorkelling around the resort and it was very good. I liked the ideo of doing this at the resort instead of going on a boat. Lots and lots of fish. They have lots of chairs and umbrellas availableif you go before 9.

The food was good (8 out of 10). They had lobster tails one night at the buffet. The water, beer food and wine were all good.

The service and cleanliness in the restaurants (10 out of 10) was excellent.

The pools are all excellent ( 9 out of 10). I liked the adult pool because of the shade and great bar and towel service.

The entertainment was bad (3 out of 10). Things started at 10:30 most nights. From 7 untill about 9 then they played movies like the Bee Movie, Pirates of the Caribbean (only a few kids watched each night). I got them to play a couple of Bob Marley Videos and that was great, next night back to Bee movie. No Reggae bands. In the lounge they played jazz music. This was a real disappointment for me.

We did a 4 hour round trip to Rick’s cafe with a local guy which was very good.

We did a swim with the dolphins which was excellent. It was a real barging at $52 each. This was only 5 minutes from the resort and you did not have to take a boat to it. They also had a free swim with a sting ray and for $50 more you can swim with a Nurse Shark.

I loved the people of Jamaica, they have a spirt like nowhere in the world. We have been to Jamaica 4 times now and we will continue to return ever few years with trips elsewhere in between

Room Tip: We had 3054 and my buddy 3053
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!