“What are you all complaining about??” 4 of 5 stars

You added Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lucea 8800, Jamaica   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Lucea
“What are you all complaining about??”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband and I recently got back from a great stay at this hotel. We had really good time and would encourage everyone to give this hotel a try. The room was lovely, spacious and clean. Staff were really friend and the food excellent. Inspite of the fact that the hotel was busy over the festive period the longest we had to wait to get into one of the restauarants was 45 minutes which I doubt anyone can find intolerable. This was for Bubba's steak restaurant which was by far the busiest.

This place is nice as it is secluded and a bit different from other holiday resorts which lends to the piece and quite. I am sure that in ten years time there will be a lot more hotels in this part of Jamaica but if you want piece and quite you can't ask for much better. It is nice the way the hotel is built along the cliffs and gives you a choice of three beaches to go to. The fact that there are a bit rough sand wise makes them natural.

I must also mention Amoy and the other girl (whos name escapes me) as being brilliant. They both work in Miss Lou's bar. Also Barrington in the Italian restaurant was a real sweetie.

2,899 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (767)
  • Polish first
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Just got back from the gplh resort, we arrived on the 28th - Jan 4th. The resort was beautiful, food was excellent, drinks where great ( I am afraid I probably was one of the loud Canadians mentioned in previous reviews, but I am not appologising for having a good time!) The New Years festivities where quite disapointing, no music till 11:30, and the MC missed the count down by 5 minutes, but hey who really cares. The overall service was not very good, and It was true as mentioned in past reviews that women do get a cold shoulder from female staff more so than men. The best place for service and entertainment was by far the pool bar, with Martin, Alex and Sean, these guys where a absolute blast. Would I go again, probably not.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Mississauga, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

As someone who has been to Jamaica several times before, I was very disapointed with this resort. On top of the unfriendly wait staff, poor restuarant meals, and bugs in our rooms, I was the victim of a robbery. While my family and I were out on an excursion for the day, someone with a key to my room made their way into my room, stole my blackberry, ipod, and cash, right out of my purse which was stupidly not in the safe. They also took my sister's cash from her purse which was inside her luggage, and my boyfriend's iphone, and $350 head phones. Interestingly enough they took the time to put my sister's purse, passport, and jewelry in the safe and lock it, only to mess with our heads wondering why they would do such a thing. When we arrived at the resort after a fabulous day out at Rick's Cafe, we came back to the room to discover the lock had been tampered with and stuffed with toilet paper and cardboard, so it was impossible to get into the room without having security replace the lock entirely. Later we were informed that usually they are able to find out which keys have been used on the doors, but because the lock was broken this was not possible. How convenient. The security was less than helpful, and even accused us of making this story up completely. They didn't compensate us in any way, and continuosly treated us as if we did this to ourselves. I have never in my life seen such poor customer service, and hope that everyone will learn from our mistakes and NEVER go to this resort.

Oh and not to mention another gentleman in the lobby speaking to the security manager ahead of me explaining his camera was stolen from his chair at the wedding he had attended, and his friend's cell phone was stolen right off the dinner table. His wife called the phone, and guess where it was? In the waiter's pocket. These stories as well as having my own personal space invaded ruined my trip and my family's trip, and made us feel completely unsafe.

Room Tip: Rooms at a different resort where you don't have to worry about getting stolen from.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Edenbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here for 11 nights over Christmas and had a wonderful time. The staff were friendly, the rooms were clean and spacious, the food delicious and the weather fantastic! We enjoyed the a la carte dining- the Italian was our favourite. We enjoyed spending the days on Coral Beach(Adults only) as we found it to be quiet. We did one trip to the Dunns River Falls which was enjoyable but it is a good two and half/three hours trip there! A great hotel for a relaxing break away in the sun.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

We are still at the hotel checking out tomorrow. Appart the beach which indeed is nice everything else is a total flop. Food is awful at its best, of bad quality completely tasteless.

Service is not existing literally is not known as a word in here, everything is jo man, no problem, whazzz up and all these affirmations bad no attention nothing. You feel like they are making. you a favor to get an extra coffee around here.

I would strongly suggest to avoid coming here, get somewhere else that will respect more your money.

Details:

Rooms are moldy and smelly
Badly mainted bathrooms with broken or stinky tiles
At the restaurant you ask for olive oil for salad and you get a reply sorry man its finished go ask the chef if he wants to give some from the kitchen ( at poseidon restaurant)
Go at the speciality restaurants, no reservation system you go there and they inform you that "we have 26!! tables waiting list, please wait"" its a joke!
Give clothes for dry cleaning and get back the dirty bag after 24 hours with a note sorry dry cleaning machine is broken
Go for towels at the beach at 09:30 no one is at his post reply from a safeguard (who was sleeping all day) jo man maybe she got asleep :-) for my 700 $ per night sorry man its not acceptable
Taking a nap at the room is out of question all the cleaning personnel is watching tv next to our room which probably just got empty.
It is way out of 5 stars, its all a big trap i am tired even to write more... there are more but i think its clear to those who are interested in this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
I am terribly sorry about the facts you describe.Due to the fact that rooms are close to the sea, humidity is always present. Jamaica as a Caribbean and tropical island is very humid.
We have beepers in the busiest Restaurants available for the guests,they can have a drink in one of our bars or relax walking around our beautiful gardens.
Our policy of a la carte Restaurant is fist-come first-served, as such our guests are unlimited to dinner a la carte Restaurant as much as they want.

I am sorry we were unable to meet your expectations.We welcome your visit in the near future as we will be more than happy to host you once more.

Best regards.
east yorkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

First let me give you a bit of background. We are a well travelled middle aged couple, who belive you get what you pay for. Eighty five percent of the reviews we have posted have been positive
This one isn't because the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton fell well short of value for money.
We stayed 24th Nov to 8th Dec, and the hotel was at max 60% full. The management decided this was cause to lay off half the staff and close half the a la carte restaurants, to the detriment of the paying guests. Due to the gross under-staffing and the closure of half the restaurants each evening, the avarage wait for a table was an hour, complaints were met with the response, "go early at 6pm when they open" (We like to eat when WE are ready, not to order.) When we finaly got a table the services fell well short of 5* again due to the lack of personnel. Each waiter/waitress having far to many tables to cover resulted in long waits with empty glasses and meals being launched at the table as they hurried past. The AI wine served in the restaurants was of very poor quality, more suited to a 2* hotel in Benidorm. (but guests could purchase slightly better quality wine at 44$ a bottle). When out and about round the hotel bars, sparkling wine was available if you where quick, cheap but drinkable Cava was on offer (sometimes) as we were regularly told "none left". Not we have run out, I will go and get you some more, just "none left".Once again nowhere near 5* service The jerk hut by one of the beaches was supposed to serve jerk chicken and pork; the three times we tried it there was "no pork".

Getting on to the beaches, the state of the sunloungers was disgusting. The fabric of the beds were covered in black oily stains and the legs of the beds covered in green algae (see photos).
Also the access and egress to some of the pools where covered in black grime (see photos). Not one of the Jacuzzis in the main pool which appear in every brochure and promotional shot of the hotel was in working order.

Rubble and rubbish were left in piles on some of the beaches for days on end (see photos).

My wife visited the spa for a massage. The whole of the conversation with the 'friendly' staff went
word for word -
"In there" "clothes off" "Lie down" "Turn over" "Finish"
We went back to the spa to enquire about a hairdressing appointment, we were told to "sit and wait for a hairdresser". After being ignored for 15 minutes whilst the staff gossiped amongst themselves we got up to leave, only to be ordered to "COME HERE" as we approched the exit.
We politely declined their kind offer...

All in all this hotel falls FAR short of 5* and comes nowhere near being VALUE FOR MONEY.
We have had far better sevice paying £300 for a week in Turkey.

Please dont take this as a slur on the front of house staff, as many of them are genuinely doing their best (spa excluded) and are very pleasant. It is a penny pinching management issue that needs addressing.

One other thing the diving franchise is a dissater waiting to happen. I wont go into technical issues, but I am a very experienced diver. I had one dive with them and it terrified me

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Walrus55
Thanks for your review, we really appreciate you take the time to let us know about your holidays with us.
I´m sorry you never enjoyed the house wine, however the range of prices for our manager´s wine menu goes from 19,90 usd (Chardonnay and/or Merlot) up to 110 usd. For reasonable prices, you can choose from a list of 50 different types of wine. As well, we don´t really receive bad comments about our house wine, anyhow, it´s an opinion, that we do appreciate.
Let me mention about the condition of the sunloungers, we have way more that 2500 sunloungers, so it may happen than in 2500 units you may find some damaged, I really think that it´s reasonable, again thanks for telling us we will remove right now the 3 sunloungers that you post in your pictures.
I would like to point out that at the Jerk Hut by the Poseidon Sunset Cove we don´t serve pork , just chicken, and we have done so since 2008. However a few meters beside, the Restaurant Sunset Cove, has pork as part of the menu.
About the waiting list for the a la carte Restaurants, well, it may happen. Bubbas Steakhouse and the Italian Restaurant have a wait, but we are happy and confident that we don´t limit our guests to 2 or 3 nights going to the a la carte Restaurants, you can go as much as you want. Some guests they prefer to wait and go 3 times to the Steakhouse. Anyhow, beepers are available in order for no guests to be at the door desesperate for a table.
Last , about the Spa, we think a massage it´s not really to chat, but for relax , but we pass the information to the relevant departments in order to make it better the next time, because we really want our guests to feel comfortable and wellcome to our Resorts. We know you just want to make your money valued and have a great expirience and vacation, sorry if it was not the case.
I apologize for the facts that you describe, we take good note of them and we will analize them and we will make sure to fix them if that was the case.
Best regards.
Eugenia
Food and Beverage Director
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed from 22 - 29 December to take in the Christmas period - we have travelled extensively and have enjoyed several all inclusive hotels in Mexico and the Caribbean including Sandals - this is our honest opinion:

The Hotel

Overall an excellent choice - staff were extremely pleasant and not once were we approached for tips. There are so many wonderful staff - simply too many to mention but those deserving a special note are Andray in the Negril Buffet, who was always smiling, cheerful and would go out of his way to ensure that you were well looked after. Onar (hope I spelt that right!) from the main pool bar - this man is an excellent bar man who made superb cocktails! Thanks to Laura Lopez for sorting our room requests.

The grounds are immaculate - 10/10 for the gardeners who work so hard to keep this vast place looking good.

Gorgeous pools and a lovely looking spa - we decided against having any treatments as unfortunately the peaceful atmosphere is ruined by Americans/Canadians who feel the need to screech at every opportunity. You can use the hydrotherapy areas without booking a treatment - this is lovely. Time it right to avoid those guests who feel the need to use the spa pool to play ball/race one another - this is another thing that the hotel should address - it spoils the nature of what a Spa should be.

The Room(s)

The 2 x junior suites that we had were in villa 37 and were well maintained, spacious and clean. The only disappointment here was the sleep quality. The bed’s were far too firm for us and the pillows were awful. Yes you can pay extra for better pillows but I do not agree with this, the hotel let themselves down by exploiting their guests decent night sleep to make a few extra bucks - decent bedding should be standard not an extra. The noise in the morning is unavoidable - yes the cleaners do start early, however, the main noise pollution comes from inconsiderate guests who feel it necessary to slam doors and yell down the corridors.

No problems with Air Con or Housekeeping but my mother's key card was cancelled twice in a week.

The hot tub was OK - very noisy and not in the room as depicted in the Thomson brochure.

Restaurants

We never struggled to get into a restaurant of our choice - provided you are in just before 19.30 you shouldn’t have a problem. Even if you do have to wait its not very long - go to the bar, get a cocktail and chill!!

The main issue for us was the temperature of the food. It is tepid at best and on occasion stone cold. This has been mentioned on tripadvisor before and the hotel should take note, basically it mars the enjoyment of what would otherwise be high quality food. We left all of our meal in the Oriental restaurant because it was stone cold. The variety and quality is excellent but they let themselves down by not correcting this. I completed a survey in the Oriental restaurant afterwards - this was after complaining to a waitress (this was the only time we were approached to do so).

We went to the following restaurants:

Mexican - Excellent but food tepid
Jamaican - Probably the best, food and service good.
Oriental - lovely looking, nice menu, cold food.
Italian - Superb meal - apart from some items being a bit on the tepid side. Good Service.
Bubba’s - Disappointing, my fillet mignon was very undercooked but was changed quickly, it looked and tasted more like rump steak rather than the fillet’s you get in the UK. Husband thought his T-Bone was tasteless. Lamb chops good though.
Negril Buffet - Excellent, nice choice, plus quite a few freshly cooked in front of you dishes.
Mo’Bay Buffet - not as good as Negril in terms of staff and service (our opinion)
Possidon - lunchtime only as we found the service poor and the whole place seemed a bit grubby.
Indian - Didn’t go to this as we are not into Indian Food.

If you’re thinking about going for next Christmas the meal is served on Christmas evening in the buffet. They put on a wonderful spread - just about everything you can think of.

Entertainment:

We didn’t go to any of the shows but that’s because they are not really our thing. The Infinity Bar in the evening has some great live bands on - very comfortable seating area. There is a lovely waitress who sings with a band in the evening - they were excellent, as were the band who played on the 27 December!!!

Tips:

We stayed in Villa 37 - good location, far enough away from entertainment but close enough for all of the restaurants and main pool.

Put a couple of dollars in the fridge with a note of any extras you want

If you travel with Thomson’s don’t forget to pay £15 per head departure tax at the airport, they omitted to tell us that bit!

Yes I would recommend this hotel - it’s got a few minor flaws but we had an excellent holiday.

Room Tip: Villa 37 is a nice choice - far enough away from the entertainment but close enough to the amenities...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!