“great resort” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Lucea
hertfordshire
“great resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was our second to an all inclusive as the first one in Mexico went so well.
the lady hamilton is a little in need of a face lift but given the excellent restaurants and fantastic swimming in the cove on there private beach we think this won us over.

Room Tip: try and get into a block near the beach rooms in the 80;s do the job exelent
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Food and Bverage Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We are elated that you have had such an amazing vacation at our wonderful Resort! We appreciate all your positive comments about our restaurants and beach .
It is a delight to know that you enjoyed the live nightly entertainment. It was our pleasure hosting you and we look forward to hosting you in the near future. Until then, take care.

2,877 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Polish first
St. Catharines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Well we have been to this property 3 times now and after visiting a few properties in Jamaica we decided to pick this place for our 25 year vow renewal. I can't say anything bad about this property we had five rooms booked and being their we knew exactly where we wanted to be and we did receive the rooms that we wanted and everything was great. That being said however the ceremony was not so great. We paid 1400 us and some extras and the ceremony being a vow renewal was so short and that was even with us saying our own vows. We finished in 5 minutes and right as soon as we were done they started to take the chairs down and away so my guests had to stand or sit on the cement wall all dressed up while we took some pictures. There was no music playing just our two songs that we chose. They handed us some champagne and I didn't get to mine right away because of the pictures and the girl collecting the glasses kept telling us to hurry up for she needed to collect the glasses. I planned this for a year and was very disappointed in the whole ceremony and wouldn't recommend it for this reason. It was like 20 minutes later you would of never guessed there was a ceremony at the beach at all. Alot of money for 20minutes if you ask me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

This review covers our trip from the 14th to the 21 of October.
Check-in went smooth. Actually the best I've experienced so far. Internet is free in the lobby but it's slow as I did a speed test with my tablet and it worked out to around 150 kps. It's really only good for email. Oh! there are 2 computers in the lobby for your use. I purchased 7 days of unlimited internet property wide for $70.00 US with the speed test showing 1000+ kps which made it pretty good for Skype.
The first problem was getting to our room. With 30-35 people waiting they had only 1 mini bus operating with limited luggage space. Took us almost an hour before we got settled. My wife is somewhat handicapped and has trouble walking any distance, so I emailed the hotel in advance to see if they could locate us in a building close to the main building. They obliged us with building 27, which was a short walk and it worked out quite well. The room was an upgrade to a 1 bedroom. Well appointed with 2 flat screen TV's, a fridge, a stand alone shower and a jacuzzi. In all nothing to complain about. If you like walking great distances and climbing stairs you will enjoy this resort as there is a lot of that to do. The only thing wrong with the accomodation was the entrance door was not a good fit. There was a half inch gap down the lock side so anyone could look into the room.
There are many bars but if you want premium liquor you will have to restrict yourself to Miss Lou's. I'm a Jack Daniels man and this is the only bar that serves it. They do stock the other bars with Jim Beam though, which I do drink in a pinch. If you are a Rye drinker, you are in trouble. They stock a brand called Canadian LTD. It's made in Kentucky. I looked it up on the Internet and the reviews used language that I'm sure I can't use on trip advisor. I'm sure you get the idea. Look it up for yourself. What I could not understand was Miss Lou's is connected to the outside bar and when I ordered a strawberry daiquiri for my wife in there they had to go to the outside bar to make it. Why did they not stock Jack Daniels at this outside bar as well? While sitting on the veranda with our party I had to walk into Miss Lou's to get my drink while the rest could order from the server.
By far Sunset Beach is the best. Somewhat secluded, lots of shade and this is where the water activities are. There is also a bar and restaurant there. The big problem is the beach is about 30 feet lower so again you have stairs to climb getting off the beach or going to the bar/restaurant/facilities. The resort did have a good idea inhaving most of the walk ways roofed so you can walk in the shade most places. Without those, getting around would be difficult in the hot sun. It was very humid which is one of the reasons I spent a lot of time in Miss Lou's as this bar is air conditioned.
I've read some complaints about the staff. The only problem I experienced was some of the younger serving staff got orders wrong, forgot orders or tended to ignore the fact you were there. The older staff (later 20's and up) were just great. What set the bad mood was the Monday (October 15th) which is a National Holliday in Jamaica (Hero's Day). The hotel sells day passes to the locals. In this instance, the management neglected to open an additional dining room (cost cutting) so the only one open was swamped with people. Could not get near the buffet. It was a mad house. The dining room staff kept coming over to our table and apologizing for the situation. By the Tuesday all was calm again. The food I considered good. Breakfast was the same most days, (as with most places) although I like poached eggs and they only had those 3 days out of the seven. Can't be picky though as I comforted myself with lox and fried eggs instead. Only had lunch one day out of the seven as my wife and I tend to eat only twice a day. They do serve hot dogs and hamburgers which I tried. Not bad. Dinner was varied each night, with a different theme. On Mexican night we opted for the Bubba's steak house. Good beef tenderloin, although the entree's were skimpy and relied more on presentation than substance. I like more than 2 shrimps in a shrimp cocktail. Avoid Asian night if possible. I will say though even on theme nights they do give you alternatives, like an Italian corner. Just as a side note, we all had problems with line jumpers at the cooking stations. I guess they thought they were someone special.
I drink Decaf Coffee because regular coffee upsets my stomach. Day one at breakfast I asked for a decaf. I was told they were out of decaf. That night, same thing. Day 2 breakfast, same thing. Day 3 before I got a cup of decaf in the morning. That night .... out of decaf. Day 4 breakfast no decaf but this time my wife insisted that they must have decaf. Sure enough I got a cup. My guess is they don't like making decaf coffee due to the possible waste involved. I have a solution to this. Buy a jar of instant decaf and bring it to the table with a carafe of hot water. This is not an original idea as other resorts do it this way. In fact 4 out of 5 resorts we have visited do it this way.
The games room... other hotels call it a Casino is small but not crowded. And it has a bar. I won $110.00 US clear the first night which took them the rest of the week to get back. One night I played for 3 hours on one machine with $10.00 before switching machines and loosing it in 5 minutes. LOL
The shows at night were not bad. The performers put a lot of effort into their work but if you go down looking for a Las Vegas review it’s not going to happen.
Do I regret going to the Lady Hamilton. No. Would I go back. No. The place is huge and there is far to much walking and stair climbing. Even going to the washroom is quite a treck. I celebrated my 70th. birthday while there but I'm a very active person. I walk 3 to 4 miles a day. But by choice, not by necessity. The bad feelings we all had about this trip began with the dining room episode on the first day and it kind of stuck with us, so every other thing that happened like running out of Scotch for one of our party became magnified. How do you run out of things when the resort is only 40% occupied?
Poor management seems to be responsible for a lot of the shortcomings of this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hampshire uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Me my partner and 4 friends celabrated my 50th birthday, and my friends 60th birthday here in October 2012, All the staff at the resort were great there were two members of staff that stood out there was Gillian Lewis worked behind the pool bar and Tanisha our house keeper who looked after us very well and nothing was to much trouble.
The food in the Jamaica, Indian, and both buffet restaurants was fantastic. we didnt like the sports bar very much.
We were there when Hurrican sandy came across Jamaica the staff kept us informed of its progress and kept us entertained. I would recommend this hotel to anyone families, couples and groups.

Room Tip: we were in block 3314 to 3336 it was quite right by a adult pool looking out to the sea.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

What an amazing place. We vacationed there the week of October 22-October 27 and yes..that was during 'Sandy!!" I will try to keep this within a reasonable length. Here goes: first glance: It is amazing and HUGE!!! If you have issues with walking distances..make sure you request a room near either of the main areas. We stayed in 3214 and loved it.
Staff: They were ALL great..in all areas! Very friendly, helpful and polite. Their motto seems to be "you are here to have fun and we are here to make sure you do!!"

Property: So huge and beautiful and CLEAN!! Did I mention HUGE?? All public areas were so well maintained even with the heavy winds just preceding and following the storm. The grounds are lovely, the pools clean and well maintained, the lobbies were so lovely, the rest rooms were so very clean!!

Restaurants: Buffets: Good food and prepared as you would expect for a property of this size. There was always plenty to eat and drink and the staff were wonderful and very attentive. The restaurants were so clean...even the outdoor ones (and the kitties that are present are sweet and DO NOT bother the guests!!)

We ate at the Posiedon which servers seafood. This is the only place we had to pay extra and that was for the loberster tail that my husband was jonsing for. I had the grilled salmon and it was sooo tasty!

We also ate at Bubba's! This is the steak house and it shares the building with the Mexican restaurant. Bubba's is a real MUST!!! Great food and service...and no extra charges for special cuts of meat!!!

Pools: We only took advantage of the adult pool because it was closest to our bungalow for my husband who has back problems and can not walk long distances. It is a very nice pool with a great bar and servers. We really liked it and if you go to use the pool...be aware that there are 4 steps down into the pool and if you are under 5 foot tall as I am..the last step is a doozy!! It bottoms out at about 5 foot 6 to 8 inches!!!!

Talking about not being able to walk long distances: This was our greatest surprise and a very wonderful one at that.....they have the BEST shuttle service and are at your ready whenever you need them We used them a lot to take us to and from the main areas and they drivers were all very kind and funny...this is where I want to say a special shout out to: Jimmy..he drives the shuttles in the afternoon/evenings and is so great..."thank you so much, Jimmy..Rick and Susan miss you and remember you..do you still remember us??"

I am getting so chatty and will end my review with these comments:

If you are looking for a great place to vacation without the hassle of being pursued with people trying to get to buy their wares...this is the place!

If you are looking for a great place with a lot to see and do...this is the place!

If you want to feel so pampered that you hate to have to come home...this is the place!

If you have children and want a place where they can do their own thing while you do yours...
this is the place!

Finally, if you want to go someplace that will make you want to return again ...and soon..THIS IS THE PLACE!!!

Spea

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems ask for a room close to either lobby and the main attractions. Also y...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Food and Beverage Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Susi:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review of your stay with us at the Grand Palladium Resort and Spa . I am happy to hear that you enjoyed yourselves and we look forward to your return.

Atherstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks in October 12 and it is exaclty as it is in the brochure. The rooms are very spacious with king size beds, settee chairs and table. Flat screen TV, fridge stocked daily,balcony with comfy reclining chairs. Bathroom with massive jacuzzi bath, hairdryer, lovely big walk in shower and toiletries. All rooms in blocks of 3 storey with open centre and fountain. Very green and well kept gardens and walkways to shade you from the sun and showers. There are 3 beaches and 2 separate pools as well as the large pool that surrounds the hotel. 1 beach and pool is for adults only which is great for peace and quiet, although the beach was never crowded. 11 restaurants which you didnt need to book, just turn up and wait for a table (whilst having an aperitif from one of the 13 bars) and all cooked to order. Just in case you didnt fancy a restaurant you could go to the buffer restaurant where you could get almost anything you could think of. The Hotel was very clean, staff polite and friendly and most of all weather fantastic. Would thoroughly recommend this holiday.

Room Tip: Our room was on 3rd floor which was good and away from the main buildings for quietness
Dear Mrs. Sharpe:

I am happy that you chose us for your vacation, and delighted that you had an awesome time and enjoyed all that the resort had to offer. I want to say thank you for your review and it was our pleasure to have hosted you and hope to see you again soon.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

my husband and i checked into the Palladium on Saturday October 20th. the lobby is stunning as is the pool. we were taken to our room. not quite what i expected. the sofa had a stain on it. 3 pillows on a king size bed. the bathroom did have a jacuzzi tub, but it needed to be painted. we received very small containers of soap and lotion, shampoo and no conditioner. this is a 4 star hotel! the food at the restaurants was okay, as was the buffet. only one bar had even remotely top shelf liquor. the pool was beautiful, but again the bar had no liquor that i'd heard of the beach is man made and the sand is very rough, not like the sand in Negril. on our 3rd day, my husband dove into the water at the sunset cove beach and cut his head. it was a bad scrap, nothing bad, but he did need medical attention. the people on duty at the beach took very good care of him. they recommended that we go see the nurse at the main complex. we were taken there by golf cart, they really went out of there way to take care of us. even the nurse at the medical office was very nice, but informed us that she would have to CHARGE us to see my husband! he got hurt there! when i asked to speak the manager, he was unavailable. the upper management is all from Spain, or Spanish and could not be so bothered with coming to speak to us. the Jamaican staff there was very nice, including Sophia who kept our room clean. it was not cheap, it was over rated and while i will go back to Jamaica, i will never stay at the Palladium again..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!