“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Ajijic, Mexico
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

We were practically the only ones there and still, the service was bad. The food was overpriced and unremarkable. For two months, I lived just a block from this restaurant and never bothered to go back. Too bad as I understand it was once very good.

Visited November 2011

80% Recommend
Fort Mcmurray
“Best food I've had in a long time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

We joined up with another couple staying in La Manzanilla for a dinner out. The dish I had (Coconut shrimp in haf a pineapple) was the best meal I have had in years. The restaurant is up from the beach, tastefully done and the service was excellent. We could have stayed there all night.

• Visited February 2012
Albuquerque
“The best in La Manzanilla”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2010

After having patronized the beach and in-town restaurants extensively, we finally took the short walk to Restaurant Mayahuel (on the main road going into town, past the tire shop). At first glance during the daytime we were not sure about what to expect. The night illuminates the elegance and beauty that you'll find not just in the surroundings but also in the food. There is a nice patio which leads into the main dining room, a large room filled with plants and art. The centerpiece is a large water feature with a handmade waterfall and koi pond surrounded by lush plants. The tables are made of huge slices of tree trunks polished and smooth. The chairs are leather and snug. There is a beautiful bar shrouded in hammered metal. You have a clear view into the beautiful kitchen. The owner was attentive and kind (from Montreal, his wife is the chef). We ate there two nights, and this is the synopsis of our meals: Very good margaritas (60pesos) no salt necessary, an unusual dark Bohemia beer I had never heard of called Bohemia Obscura, and fresh squeezed orange juice for our daughter. Their soups are very good. We had the Soupa Azteca (65 pesos) which was very good simple soup with avocado and pieces of tortilla on the bottom, and a carrot soup which was so delightful in its simplicity, a beautiful buttery base with a carrot puree. A salad comes standard with each meal and it is good and simple, lettuce, carrots, beets and cucumber with a choice of vinaigrette or cream dressing. You also get fresh made bread with the meals. The first night I ordered the chicken mole and it was very very good (so much so that my husband ordered it the next time we visited) which came with steamed veggies and carrot puree pasta on the side and my husband got the house special (a stuffed chile with fish). The next time we visited I got the special of the day, a filet mignon which was cooked perfectly and came with a baked potato and steamed veggies on the side. I have heard that the desserts are very good, home made by the chef so we plan on returning tomorrow night (pasta night - 65 pesos), though we have yet been able to save room for dessert. This restaurant is worth the small walk it takes to get there and the prices (I forget what exactly the entrees were, somewhere around 110-150 pesos) are the slightly lower than what you will find in town, but the food is much better. I like, no LOVE, that they serve so many vegetables with everything (hard to get in Mexico), and the ambiance is really very nice. If you come to this town, come to this restaurant, you won't regret it.

Edmonton, Canada
“The restaurant may not be beach front, but the food makes it worth the visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

We saved this restaurant for our last night in town and we're glad we did. It's a gorgeous place with a friendly, casual atmosphere, fabulous food (killer prawns and did I mention the deserts?) and wonderful staff who were very ok with my terrible spanish. The price was ridiculously reasonable even with us being there during Easter week. We won't miss going back our next time in La Manzanilla