“An Excellent Dining Experience in An Art Garden Setting” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Telluride, Colorado
“An Excellent Dining Experience in An Art Garden Setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Figaro was a pleasant and unexpected surprise in this very small town on the Bahia Tinacatica in the State of Jalisco Mexico. The sculpture garden setting is resplendent with sculptures done by the owner Pino, who is from Milano. The beet salad with cabbage and jicama delicately seasoned with a hint of coriander was excellent. The wines from Chilean vintner Antares were good, as good as one might expect in this tiny place. I took a huge gamble and ordered the pasta carbonara thinking why would one order anything other than fish on the very edge of the Pacific Ocean. The carbonara was actually quite excellent with a subtle hint of nutmeg. I will say that the pasta was slightly overcooked but did not resemble "canned spaghetti" as one reviewer has noted. Hint: If the pasta is not cooked to your satisfaction send it back... they will learn very quickly to do it the way you want. You can get almost anything that you want at a restaurant in Mexico, they are pleased to please you and if you don't get it your way and the whine about it you are a moron. Margaritas are not supposed to be over sweet fruity concoctions, they are supposed to be tart treats like their namesake. I will definitely return to Figaro and if I order pasta tell them I want it al dente and will send it back until they get it right. It is the only way they will ever get it right. Pasta is not exactly on the Mexican national cuisine list. I found the carbonara a refreshing change from the fare I have enjoyed for the last several months of travel. It is a wonder that such a place exists in a little village of around 2500 souls on the edge of the ocean.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver
“Very dissapointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Had dinner and 2 Margaritas very recently,,, without a doubt the worst Margaritas I've had in Mexico,, ordered a second one and it came exactly as the first (way way too much lime) even after I asked the bartender to go easy on the lime,,, I ordered the spagetti with seafood (crab, shrimp etc,) absolutly terrible,,, the crab as small as it was had absolutly no meat in it whatsoever..I was very dissapointed in my whole meal,,,although the service was very good from the waiters..

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Cold food, slow service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We ate at Figaro and had terrible experience. We sat for at least 20 minutes without menus or any service, when we finally ordered,we asked for the days special, shrimp pasta with vodka sauce. Both orders were cold and the spaghetti was mushy. I was reminded of canned spaghetti.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Anacortes, Washington
“Limoncello!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

13 tourists gathered for dinner. Tough to serve so many. But well done. Wine, wonderful dishes, great ambiance, garden entrance with delightful sculpture. Not sure about what to have for dessert, the owner delighted us with complimentary limoncello!
Made our evening. I'm coming back next year, this will be my top restaurant choice.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Guadalajara, Mexico
“Startling and excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We had the pleasure of saving this for our last night in La Manzanilla. Four of us had a great time there. I ordered the penne with vodka sauce, it was pretty good, but apparently the octopus carpaccio, was outstanding.

It was a pre-birthday dinner. The art work and gardens in front of the restaurant which I understand was all done by Pino, are amazing. It's almost like a maze with wonderful imaginative sculptures popping up around every corner.

My husband and I found our pasta to be pretty good only, however we are extremely picky. Don't take our word for it. Do try it yourself. Most of the pasta is homemade I was told.

The menu seemed quite extensive, and we'd all definitely return. In fact our friends who are Swiss Italian love it, and never miss the opportunity. So take their opinion on the pasta. It's a lot better than ours. Trust me.

• Visited January 2013