“Great value in Hellbourg” 4 of 5 stars

L'Orchidee Rose
26, Rue Olivier Manes Hell-Bourg, Salazie 97433, Reunion Island   |
Ranked #12 of 12 Salazie B&B and Inns
london, england
“Great value in Hellbourg”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Very good value- short walk to village centre. High in the mountains of Reunion. Room perfectly adequate, evening meal good value. Self service breakfast included. Owners do not speak English but were very helpful

Room Tip: Slightly extra for terrace/mountain view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I find the low reviews of the others rather inexplicable. This place is pretty much a guesthouse, a gite, and as such it is very inexpensive. You get what you pay for. My expectations were not high.

The room was sparsely furnished and rather tacky looking. The bathroom was on the small side and rather cold. There was serviceable wifi and it was free. There is parking available on the grounds.

I had their dinner and it was one of the few times on the island that I got to sample Reunionaise creole cuisine. I can't say I loved it because Indian Ocean creole cooking isn't my thing. But it was nice and portions were plentiful, which was great because I was really hungry. They gave me their pineapple confiture which was great for me because local confitures is something I actively try to buy whereever I go. Though the proprietors didn't speak any English, we managed to communicate, and this level of English competency is something I expected in Reunion.

Hell-Bourg being a very small town everything is within walking distance, including trail heads.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Prague, Czech Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

we spent the 1 night, however the lady (I guess the owner) doesn't speak at all English. I booked the accommodation through Agoda booking portal, however after arrival the lady wanted to pay again. At the end, after difficult discussion french vs. english, I showed a printed reservation email from Agoda and everything turned to right way. The room was small but enough for one night oversleep.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

L’Orchidee Rose is not quite a hotel, as is mentioned on its website, but rather a guesthouse. The place looks nice and was good enough for the two nights we spent there. I had a room with very large bathroom while my friend had a smaller room and an even bigger shower. The rooms weren’t aired when we arrived, so we needed to keep the windows open to get some fresh air. At night I needed an extra blanket because it was too cold (keeping the window open). We had chosen not to eat in the ‘hotel’, but to try our luck in other restaurants in Hell Bourg (one good advice: book for dinner in advance because every restaurant is either closed or full!). I think this was a good choice. Breakfast wasn’t very good. There was hardly any choice (French bread, hard butter, some exotic jams and cheese spread + drinks) and it was a do-it-yourself concept: take the plate out of the cupboard, get what you need out of the fridge… in a way it looks like a buffet-type of breakfast but since the owners asked us at which time we’d have breakfast, they could at least put the plates on the table as well. Later on we went to the bakery in town to get some decent breakfast. Some positive points of this guesthouse are the private parking space and a very fast wifi connection. It’s a good place to sleep for anyone who doesn’t require luxury. The owner of this guesthouse was friendly but talked a little too much (as is also mentioned in earlier reviews).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to L'Orchidee Rose? Share your experiences!