“Orchids Galore” 4 of 5 stars

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Orchids Galore”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Never knew there were so many fantastic species. Event hough I am not a no way near a gardener or a flower person, I must say, if I had to have a gift or a bouquet given to me, please only give me orchids. Its a nice to do - educational, a lovely morning thing to do and its all about when you expect less, you might just get more ;)

Visited July 2012

Pattaya, Thailand
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“A visit with a genius who enjoys showing you his hobby.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is a wonderful way to spend a half/whole day. Eric is super knowledgeable and very personable at the same time. He has a great sense of humor and can answer even the questions posted by myself, by far the lest knowledgeable member of the group. We had a plant specialist from China, 2 americans traveling Asia learning about gardens, a Korean teacher and a Thai lady with a broad knowledge of plants. I am an engineer sorely lacking in this sort of knowledge but I love plants and information.

We planed on 1-2 hours but spent most of the day including lunch and were sad to leave.
It is difficult to find, I used the GPS for the nearest golf course to find the location, which is so far off the beaten path that there is no path.....

Lunch was great and the entire visit wonderful, and we had just come from spending then entire day at the Royal Flora next to the Night Safari in Chiang Mai.

Visited January 2013
Ohio
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Worthwhile, educational, and off the tourist track”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We were looking for activities in Chiang Mai of the "non-bungee jumping" variety and came across Dokmai Gardens and Eric. We spent an entire day with him and truly enjoyed the botanical and cultural education we gained. Eric is a PhD botanist by training, and he is sought after by tropical plant experts worldwide. As a long-term expat who is married to a Thai woman, he offers a great interpretation of Thai culture as well.

Our day with him began with a thorough tour of a real Thai market without tourists or t-shirt sellers. Eric can explain all of the plant and animal products being sold which may seem odd to western eyes. This is NOT like any type of tour you might get with a cooking class; Eric knows the English terms for everything and can explain which fruits and veggies are comparable to their western counterparts. You will sample, smell, feel, taste, and learn beyond comprehension. This experience alone is worth the price of the day.

We then went out to Dokmai Garden to see his work. The welcome hibiscus drink is amazing. The garden itself is gorgeous and well-planned. Eric explains the hows and whys of everything, and we tasted and smelled more fruits and plants as he pulled random things off of trees, etc. It was fascinating. The food cooked by his mother-in-law was outstanding. The work he does in his orchid hospital is impressive. After lunch we visited a small Thai village up in the hills.

Again, Eric is a true plant expert. Anyone who wanted to spend a day or week or month with him discussing only bananas or bamboo or orchids will not be disappointed. Eric can take visitors on treks into the hills to discover new plants or visit hill tribes. Any of these experiences can be tailored to the visitor's interests.

We truly enjoyed our time with Eric and felt that our money supported a worthwhile endeavor. This experience really gave us a greater context for the rest of our experiences in Thailand.

I would recommend a day with Eric to anyone who is looking for a deeper understanding of Thai plants and culture.

Visited November 2012
Muscat, Oman
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“A really interesting botanic garden, plus great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Eric and his wife Kate set up the garden 5 years ago. Eric takes you on the tour himself and as he planted every tree and shrub he really knows about the plants. Kate provided a lovely lunch and home-made fruit juice made from hibiscus which was a perfect thirst quencher. We had intended to spend a few hours there but spent most of the day there and a few days later we went back for cuttings. Eric also acts as a guide to the jungles of the national parks, you can arrange day trips or longer. Eric's information and knowledge me really appreciate the tropical vegetation. While I was there a family with 3 young children arrived and there was plenty for the children to see and do and taste.

Visited November 2012
Luang Prabang, Laos
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A great insight into plants and culture of the area.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

After reading Eric’s blogs for a year now I was suitably impressed with the amount of knowledge I could pick up visiting the place. It gave me a great understanding of the plants I have been seeing daily in my home town Luang Prabang and Ketsanee was a great host. Her mother’s rosella juice is the perfect finish to a long stroll around the impressive garden.

Visited October 2012