Was hesitant to award it 3 stars, as due to atmosphere i still liked it and it probably deserved 3 1/2 star but giving it 4 with all the negatives would probably be not correct.
1) Service from reception upon arrival was great
2) Service from general staff nice, friendly, not always professional.
3) Room and view nice overall, yet some design faults (see below)
4) Lobby design
5) weather - just loved to get a bit of fresh air
6) beds were good, quite hard, which I personally like (no pillow menu though).
1) Maintenance issues: in the room (paint) and in general as well, need some good run thru maintenance overall. Also in general cleaning issues.
2) Room sink: very low and not convenient at all to clean or shave yourself.
3) the water mixer at sink and shower is difficult to regulate (you can't seem to get low pressure and warm water, only cold with low pressure)
4) few things inside the room did not match the MGallery image in my view (plastic signs for different things in room)
5) The building with elevator going to breakfast - oh good, why can't anybody see that this looks like a parking lot area, not a guest area and it would take just a bit of Gibson board paint and a bit of decor with some plants and paintings and voila...it is presentable.
6) Breakfast - pretty standard, but did not change a bit in 3 days, bread of poor quality, overall rather soso. Nothing special from North or specially for Thai people (who seemed to be some of the main targets).
7) around pool: sunbeds (very few) and nearly all looked very dated and not clean. Same goes for the big breakfast Gazebos - benches were dirty, etc.
8) Just felt that it needs some tender care and some creative ideas, to really market it in the right way. it is small enough to make it more interesting, more creative, more Northern, more boutique.
9) Overstaffed: this might sound silly as a negative: but at breakfast i counted every day around 7-8 waiters and at least 5-6 cooks. problem with this was that all of them not really knew their area (was asked 3 times if i want more coffee). Cooks are there, but not really look if food runs out (which it did a couple of times). With only so few rooms, i felt it should have been better if there were fewer staff, but know what is their job.
10) The light thru the dressing area: we needed to close one of the sliding doors to darken the room, which isn't much of an issue, but at night you don't want to bump into that door going to the restroom....so, just slightly annoying.
11) Ordered pick up from the airport and driver was there on time (not the best dressed person to make first impression). They used a mini van to pick us up (not a limousine) and it smell pretty strong of Northern food. Not a biggie....
12) towels: old looking, greyish instead of white....
Again, i believe it could be a great place, which could attract guests which want more nature, but it would need to go and be more creative how to incorporate the nature and ideas to make it a boutique resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Veranda Chiangmai: The High Resort, is a total Zen experience from the moment of arrival. We located in private valley with rice and tea terraces, natural ponds and orchids. Perfect retreat to relax and indulge yourself in the Spa. Divided into two zones, on one side representing the cultural heritage of the north and the other the Contemporary Veranda style. A boutique northern retreat of just 72 rooms, all guests are ensured of the best personal service, 24 hours a day from our warm and friendly staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Splendia, Priceline, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Veranda High Resort Chiang Mai - MGallery Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Veranda High Resort Chiang Mai Hotel Hang Dong
- Veranda High Resort Chiang Mai - MGallery Collection Chiang Mai Province, Thailand - Hang Dong