“One of a kind” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Dragoer B&B and Inns
Norwich, United Kingdom
“One of a kind”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

This is a ww1 fort and a quirky experience.
Good: location 5km from the airport, beautiful views of the bridge and town from the roof (gun emplacements! Told you it was quirky), the room slept 19 soldiers when it was live and so was massive with a double and 2 single beds, the bedroom, bathrooms and other areas are nicely furnished (chesterfield sofas, classic tables and chairs, big headboards), the bed was very comfortable, a fun place to stay and completely different from the norm, a good price as we booked on the day (£77 per room, the Hilton at the airport could only offer £304 at 15:00 that afternoon), friendly owners.

Down sides; smells a little bit musty, decoration still looks a bit military bunker.

To be fair I loved it and I am not sure that the down sides really are that because this adds to the sense of staying in a fort and if it was decorated like a Hilton hotel it would be wrong and out of keeping with a piece of history.

If you are not sure then try it just for the fun of it especially if you have children they will love exploring the outside.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

What a find! This great place is a genuine fortifiacation for the city of Copenhagen, just bursting with historical artifacts. The room I had was large, immaculate with the most comfortable bed I've slept on in a long while. Huge clean shower room was a little basic, but in order to keep the place original, it was definitely in keeping.
The staff were really friendly and helpful, showing me all over the building, and explaining the reasons it was built, the renovations etc. They opened the great old doors to show the machine rooms and artillery storage rooms. The corridors still have the old communal wash troughs lining them, the place is fascinating.
A short walk up to the top of the fortification gives great views of the bridge to Sweden. In the other direction is the ancient fishing village of Dragor with beautiful architecture and some pretty cafes and restaurants.
I'd recommend this to anyone who hates being comfined in a corporate cell.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I loved this hotel! From the top of the hotel you have a great view of the bridge linking Denmark and Sweden, the location is close to the Copenhagen Airport, the rooms large and airy and the owner is fabulous. He gave us free drinks at night and proved to be a great conversationalist in English. A very pleasant personality, warm, hospitable, helpful, knowledgeable and very generous. We are Canadians who spent 2 weeks in another hotel in Copenhagen where the service was impeccable but the staff was cold. The owner of Dragor Fort compensated for the stiffness of some Danish people by being warm and generous. He is GREAT!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Clean, simple rooms are some of the biggest in Europe! New bathrooms, and small touches such as slippers, make this a great value. Walk through a fort/war era museum to get to your room, and don't miss walking on the ramparts to see the view of the Oresund Bridge!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We came across this hotel only days before we arrived. We could not find a hotel in Copenhagen with vacancy, but by e-mail we were told they had availability in their 7 rooms. I I have to admit, my expectations were low. Even lower when the taxi driver had no idea where it was, but what a great find!
Remember it is a fort, but I don't camp. So think rustic, but expect comfortable with human creature comforts.
You walk in and there is no reception area. It appears to be more of a special event or banquet site. We said hi at the bar and stated who we were. While being escorted to our large room, I was dryly informed that women could wash up in the troughs outside the room at quarter after and men at half after. When we entered the room, I was informed that there was a shower, but that it was extra. The proprietor finally admitted he was pulling me leg - he seemed serious to me! After a long plane ride to Copenhagen this ended up being the perfect accommodations for me and my young adult sons. The beds looked lumpy - but they were incredibly comfortable! The area was quiet, but friendly. My son went to find coffee around four in the morning and came back with an invitation to fish on someone's boat. I ran along the waterfront and enjoyed the manicured town.
This was a great place to relax after our long journey. Take the #35 bus to the airport (or town).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lymington, Hampshire,England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

I was staying as a guest of the local sailing club who had taken over the whole fort during a regatta.

There are only 7 rooms but they are really large and nicely fitted out. I think that each of the rooms was probably one of the soldiers barracks, They are entered from big internal corridors which must at one stage been the soldiers wash areas. It's really quite extraordinary to go into what was a working fort - like walking back into history. The generators which were used to power the gun turrets are still in working order - and powered up to show off to visitors.

I can't really comment on the food because we were eating with regatta basics. Bread, local meats and cheeses for breakfast, we made our own packed lunch to take on the water and dinner was a rushed affair whilst attending to the post race administration. The final prize-giving dinner was pretty good though.

Very quiet, right next door to the marina and a lovely beach just round the corner.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to Dragor Fort Hotel? Share your experiences!