“Great value tasty meal” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
North Yorks
“Great value tasty meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

Taken here by friends for the £6 meal before 5pm offer. I didn't expect much so was pleasantly surprised at the quality and quantity. All were served on huge plates, I had the garlic mushroom & tarragon bake which came with garlic bread. Lots of garlic which I loved! My friends had the herby dumplings with chicken and the ham? & eggs with chips which was a huge portion. All were thoroughly enjoyed. My friends go often.

Visited December 2013

63% Recommend
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Top notch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We've recently had the "Festive Menu". Can't praise it enough. As opposed to a lot of the "Brake Brothers heat'm & serve'm" meals one can tend to get in tied pubs, this tasted about as fresh as you're going to get.
My wife had the goats cheese and pumpkin ravioli, while I went for the terrine - absolutely bang on. The terrine was a little meaty for my wife (we tend to swap tasters) - which meant for my palate it was excellent.
Simple braised lump (and I mean a decent portion) of beef with nicely al dente red cabbage for my main, while Mrs P plumped for the cod/pancetta combination, with a wonderfully rich bisque; to quote Masterchef - the flavour was really packed in. Top job from the chef. I must admit to being surprised to read comments about "lacking flavour" - this is the second time we've eaten there and both times have been excellent.
Desserts of a bitter chocolate mousse and a pear and almond tart to finish. If I was being uber-critical I could say the tart lacked as much pear as I would like - but I am really splitting hairs there. Mrs P certainly enjoyed her mousse.
Good wine to go with it (I gather), and nice to find an alcohol free (I don't drink) beer that wasn't Becks Blue (Bitburger Drive).
To summarise, as foodies it ticked our boxes. Many thanks to Martin and the team for a splendid evening - waitress service that was attentive, friendly but never overbearing.

Simply, go there.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
berwick
“Overpriced and underwelmed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

After reading fab review we were looking foward to eating here, but the five of us ended up feeling very disapointed the food lacked flavour and seasoning and more or less tastless! The price was too high considering the standard of food we received!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Great Xmas Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Booked in November for our office xmas party. Food was preordered. Staff amazing food brilliant and great value. All of us would visit again. Brilliant all round.

Great Missenden, United Kingdom
“Fantastic wedding reception!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

We booked our reception here after discussing what type of event we wanted with Sam. We had a few subsequent meetings and basically the whole event was geared round what we wanted. The night itself was great, everyone really enjoyed it. Lots of guests commented (unprompted) about how good the food was. We had gone for a buffet and the spread was fabulous, the salmon and meat were favourites of most. During the event the staff were always busy, clearing, re-laying etc but never got in the way and always cheerful. We couldn't have had a better evening. Thanks to Sam and all the staff for making it such a successful evening.

• Visited November 2013