“Want to go back already .....” 4 of 5 stars

Bel & The Dragon
4.0 of 5 Inn   |   High Street, Cookham SL6 9SQ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Cookham B&B and Inns
Ipswich
“Want to go back already .....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Just spent a night at this delightful "pub with rooms" in Cookham. We were going to a family evening wedding and so unfortunately did not manage to sample the food apart from breakfast which was spot on. Creamy scrambled eggs just how I like and salty crispy bacon. Fresh orange juice and excellent service. Some might find the menu choice limited but it means what they do, they do well.
The rooms were quirky with plenty of books to read and interesting art; the beds, were unusually high but very comfortable. Our room quaintly called "Mrs Baggett" had the sweetest little "cubby" room off the shower room - perfect for a child travelling with his parents. They would love it! Sadly my son now too tall for the bed......and you do need to watch your head as you enter the room - even me!
The landing tea and coffee facilities and the decanters of whisky are generous touches; as is the sloe gin in the room. You really feel they want you to feel welcome....and you do!
My only niggle - hence a 4 and not a 5 - is that this room looks across the roof and you get a lot of noise from what I believe are the kitchen extractors. But of course they're're not on at night and so we slept well until breakfast service the next day.
But all in all, a really lovely experience and I would very much like to go back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Loughton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stayed overnight at this lovely historic inn while attending a birthday celebration in their restaurant. We were really taken with the exceptional hospitality and service culture which appears endemic amongst all the staff. The food, which is of a very high quality, is locally sourced and delicious. The bread at breakfast was baked on the premises and almost out of the oven. The dinner served for 50+ people was amazing, and despite the number of guests, the food was hot, plentiful, super tasty and served with a smile. Our room was small but charming and interesting with a very comfy bed. Great shower (decent size, shower head etc) and high quality towels.
Generous hospitality provided to guests with complimentary single malt whisky on the landing and sloe gin in the room! If we are ever need a room in the area again, I will definitely look to try and book again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Lewes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is the best pub hotel I've ever stayed in. I travel and stay away a lot with work, so much so that I am a Hilton Diamond member(to those who don't know, that means I'm away, a lot), so I get to see a lot of hotels. The Bel & Dragon is lovely, the heritage building has been lovingly restored, it tastefully marries it's antiquity with understated designer style. My room was comfortable and charming, it had a delightful little ensuite child's room (the doorway is only 4'6" high, the bed the same in length) with a selection of children's books to read, which would be great for a family with a small child. The bed had a good decent mattress. The food in the restaurant is really superb, a real pleasure, and the staff are attentive and discrete. I'm here in November so it's dark when I return work, but it looks like the surrounding area is also lovely, there is the River Thames a few minutes walk, and it's ridiculously picturesque even at this tie of year, it looks like there are probably some lovely walks along it. The complimentary whisky on the guest landing is a real treat, proper 12 year old malts, and good ones too! Cheers!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Had a lovely stay - room was very comfortable and clean, small but well-appointed shower room and the added bonus of a bottle of damson vodka in the room and a choice of two malt whiskies to sample on the windowsill halfway down the stairs!
Dinner was excellent and breakfast delicious but the overriding quality of Bel and the Dragon is the fantastic service – the staff are knowledgeable, charming and efficient and nothing is too much trouble.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Leeds UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip, as I am bored bored bored of the chain hotels and their identikit rooms and lacklustre service.

The room I had was small, but with incredible decor, it is plain but perfect. The feature of my room was the large shower and exceptional bathroom.

The quality of the fixtures & fittings is first class, and just the little things, like properly fluffy towels, high quality bedding and being able to open a window are literally a breathe of fresh air.

Lost a star due to there not being allergy free bedding in the room, it may have been available, but as I didn't notice until late at night, I had to deal with it. Its a shame I'm allergic, as the bedding wash incredible quality.

A lovely stay, and I'll be back when on business, and won't be over sharing about this hotel, as it's small and I want to make sure I can get in!

Room Tip: A little quirky, but a wonderful change from the usual grim business hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I recently spent a night at this wonderful country pub and restaurant. My daughter took me for a birthday treat. We knew the chef from our visits to Claridges in London, and wanted to experience his food in a country setting. We were not disappointed. It was the best slow cooked belly of pork I have ever eaten. Every dish was fabulous, the breakfast amazing. The rooms, only five in total, are beautifully decorated, and the bathrooms bang up to date. There is even complimentary Sloe Gin in all the rooms. The gardens are very relaxing, and because the weather was so good, we were able to have dinner outside on the terrace. We will certainly return soon.

Room Tip: One of the rooms has a perfect little hobbit room attached for a child, it is magical
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

I had eaten here before several times and liked it very much but this time we booked in to stay the night for a friends surprise birthday dinner. They have made many changes. The restaurant is more open than before with lovely decor and it feels comfortable and homely. The service was excellent and staff were really friendly and very helpful. The food was good but quite pricey. We were most impressed with our twin room which immediately felt warm and inviting and despite being at the back and only having a view of the roof. The bathroom was amazing with a huge walk in rain shower and white tiled walls and floor. It has obviously been recently upgraded. Breakfast had a wide choice including a few hot dishes and lovely bread. Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Bel & The Dragon? Share your experiences!