“Excellent tea” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wivenhoe
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Three of us visited the hotel this afternoon to celebrate a birthday. I had pre booked & it was all exceptionally good. The tea was super, lovely sandwiches & cakes, we couldn't eat all the scones so they were boxed up for us to take away.
We decided to round it off with a glass of fizz, courtesy of the hotel...a lovely touch.
The staff were very attentive without being overbearing. It was so pleasing to get good service, not always so these days.
I would certainly recommend it. The setting is lovely, a plus being the sun was shining & the daffodils in full bloom.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Damir T, General Manager at Wivenhoe House, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thank you writing such fantastic feedback and for celebrating the start of spring with us here at Wivenhoe House. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your afternoon tea with us and recognise our ambition to be the best in Essex. Your comments will certainly be appreciated by our lounge and pastry kitchen teams and will further increase their motivation before the start of a hopefully very busy afternoon tea season. We look forward to seeing you back. Regards, Damir Terzic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

This is a truly good hotel if you need to work and / or study at the University of Essex for a few days. I recommend it thoroughly. The breakfast is of good quality and the rooms are far from the occasionally noisy students that live in another part of the campus.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for finding the time and writing a short but wonderful review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to Essex. Regards, Damir Terzic
Bude, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I stayed here for two nights as I had an all-day interview at the University, so the location was perfect. My room was in the Garden Wing and so it had a gorgeous view. The room itself was comfortable, clean and very stylish and the iMac was a lovely touch and got a lot of a use! Breakfast and the meals I ordered from room service were both delicious. Unfortunately, upon check out, the hotel charged my debit card twice for my stay. However, the staff members I spoke to were very apologetic and acted as quickly as they could to remedy the situation, as well as offering me compensation.

As for downsides: although the staff were polite, you could tell which members were still in training — especially when I checked in, as I had to wait fifteen minutes (after a very long day of traveling through tube strikes from the South West) to be issued with a room key while they sorted out details that they had incorrectly entered into the system. I also felt a bit cheated that I was charged £125 for a second night's stay when the same room type on Booking.com was going for £110 that night.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for writing an online review about your Wivenhoe House experience. I have read your comments with great interest. Thank you for your very constructive points that we will certainly follow up internally with the respective departments involved. I am glad to hear that you "mostly" enjoyed your stay and very much hope that your interviews on campus went well. We look forward to seeing you back in Colchester soon. Regards, Damir Terzic
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

We stayed here in August last year and were determined to return having had such an enjoyable stay. We were not disappointed and were pleased that the hotel has continued to maintain its high standards. The rooms are very comfortable and well appointed, with service of a similarly high quality. The staff are friendly, helpful and engaging. We ate excellent meals (dinner and breakfast) in the brasserie, where the staff were knowledgable about the food and the wine. Breakfast was freshly cooked, rather than what can sometimes be quite awful serve yourself buffets.

All in all, highly recommended and I hope that Wivenhoe continues to maintain its excellent standards such that it remains one of our favourite hotels.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your wonderful and encouraging feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your return visit to Wivenhoe House. Professionals and students are working tremendously hard on ensuring a consistent high level of service. Thank you for sharing your experience with us which will most certainly boost morale amongst the entire team. We look forward to seeing you back in the near future. Regards, Damir Terzic
Derby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

We booked the Wivenhoe as we had a long drive to view the adjacent university campus.
We called the hotel first to make sure the suite was suitable for 3 adults and were told 'yes' so we booked for 3 people, through this site, using booking.com where the suite we booked was stated as being for 4 max persons.
On arrival, when given a card stating '2 people' we pointed out there were 3 of us, that we had booked for 3, that we had called to check it was OK for 3 and the website said max 4 persons. "Oh it should say 2 adults and 2 children but it's ok you can still have it for the same price" we were told.
Half the lighting in the ceiling of our room (The Rebow Suit) did not work so we reported this at the desk, with great difficulty, as the staff on duty could not understand "the recessed lights set into the ceiling are not working" but said they would have it looked into. Later they said the electricians could not look at it until tomorrow so they had put a table lamp next to the Mac/TV.
The Mac/TV would not work as the central line on the keyboard (a-l) did not work. Small thing easy to fix.
There was a hair drier in the room (as advertised) but it had a short lead and could not be plugged in anywhere near a mirror. I had to unplug the Mac and stand 12 feet from the mirror, in poor light due to the aforesaid broken lighting, to attempt to do my hair. Small thing easy to fix.
In the bathroom, turning one of the taps made the whole fixture move, the shower control moved in and out of the wall and the bin was set under a sloping wall out of reach. Small things easily fixed.
There were no light controls on one side of the bed.
At breakfast we were sat in an arctic draught in the Brasserie and although we were all served at the same time, albeit by someone in very stained clothing, my bacon was like card whereas my husband's was ok.
On departure we were not asked if we had enjoyed our stay so we re-iterated that the lighting did not work and that we had not been able to use the Mac/TV due to the keyboard being broken. Our money was then taken and, as a trite afterthought as we walked out, we were told "I sincerely apologise" with a smile.
So I will not be returning and could not, due to the appalling lack of attention to details and lack of care by the staff on duty, recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Do not stay here, but if you must, avoid the Rebow Suite!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Anita,

thank you for taking the time and writing an online review. I am truly disappointed to hear did not enjoy your experience with us. Thank you for highlighting some of the issues in your bedroom which are currently following up with our housekeeping and maintenance departments. I agree with you that hotel designers may as well test some of their designs before opening the hotel. On the night I am sure my staff would have offered you an alternative bedroom if that was available at the time, but I am not certain whether you had considered that option. It is such a shame to read you left so disappointed as I am sure we would have managed to rectify most things during your stay there and then, but also making you leave with a smile and satisfaction, wanting to return in the future. Your comments have certainly been shared with the team and I would hope that you do give us another opportunity to prove our true quality in the future. Regards, Damir Terzic
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Had lunch here last week and the food from the main a la carte menu in the Brasserie is excellent. As others have mentioned, many of the staff are students taking degrees in Hotel Management. In general the service was superb, and better than I've had from waiting staff at other similar quality establishments. Just one very slightly sour note. When leaving, we'd left cash on the table in the wallet that the bill came in. As we then walked out, someone stopped us and asked us if we'd paid. Slightly rude - I always leave cash with the bill in restaurants and have never once been asked this before. And we weren't exactly running - could easily have checked the table and then come after us if need be!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Damir T, General Manager at Wivenhoe House, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Thank you very much for your review following your visit in the brasserie. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience but also thank you for your constructive comments which we will internally address. Your feedback on the level of service and performance of our students is very encouraging and re-enforces the message to all members of staff involved that we can be very pleased with the progress to date. We very much look forward to seeing you back. Regards, Damir Terzic
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed here for the valentines weekend. Had afternoon tea on arrival and later that evening had a delicious meal in the restaurant. Our room was in the main house and had a great view. Very high standard of items in the room ...proper coffee maker and a kettle for tea .....an Apple Mac computer which doubled up as a TV. The bathroom was spotlessly clean and very modern finishes. Staff very friendly and couldn't do enough for you. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your positive review. I am really delighted to hear that you enjoyed your weekend with us at Wivenhoe House. Your comments will certainly help boost morale amongst the entire team. We look forward to seeing you back. Regards, Damir Terzic

Been to Wivenhoe House? Share your experiences!