“Yes,yes,yes,yes etc” 4 of 5 stars
Review of King's Country Bar & Restaurant

King's Country Bar & Restaurant
Pinkmead Farm Equestrian Centre | King's Corner, Botley, Southampton SO30 2HA, England
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 11 Restaurants in Botley
Cuisines: English
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Southampton
“Yes,yes,yes,yes etc”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Yes,you can get a whiff of the riding school, --but--that's where it is. Yes, you always get a pleasant greeting from the staff which includes the owners---lovely guys. Yes, the menu is great--- so many choices of favourite dishes but with a twist, e.g. "Flying toad in the hole" sausage with pigeon breast in yorkshire pudding. On offer, at the moment, a bottle of wine with your meal for under £10. Yes-- we have dined here at least 7 or 8 times in the past 5 years, family celebrations, plus cosy twos' and never been disappointed. November-- a roaring log fire,, in the summer a pleasant outdoor patio with open aspect across the horse fields.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

North Slough
“Hard to please!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My disabled mum and I are probably a bit hard to please for this restaurant to delight us, so here it is...the good and the bits we found less enjoyable.
It was a flat walk from the car park, which was lucky, because for my Mum and her zimmer it was too far. It was exactly the length of an indoor riding school in fact, as our table was at the back of the restaurant, and the restaurant runs along the side of the school. (Should have brought the wheelchair).
The restaurant was enthusiastically decorated for Halloween, life size cackling witches and all. One young lad was delighted that she talked to people as they walked past. But as a diner, 2 hours listening to the screeches announcing each arriving guest, with a kind of faint white noise as background music, was a bit much. Sort of sets your teeth on edge.
My Mum had duck with figs in bacon. Now my Mum did ask the waiter (who was very polite and efficient) if the duck was very tender, and he assured her it was, but she couldn't eat any of it (false teeeth!!!) We didn't complain at the time, as there is a 25 minute wait for duck and Mum would have been too tired to wait for an alternative. And there was plenty of other food on the plate. I have to say I was a bit surprised when the waiter chose to believ that she 'couldn't eat it' because she was full, rather than very having difficulties with the texture. Mum had a couple of goes at getting the message across, but he was a much more experienced waiter than she was as guest (which motivated me to give a full explanation here). I tried it and it wasn't so much tough as 'dense', but not 'really tender'. In retrospect, I wonder if it had been microwaved before frying??? I think so because even the pink bits were solid. However, Mum really enjoyed the figs in bacon, and the cheese cake dessert.
My rump steak was much better value, and my teeth were, thankfully, up to the job.
No one rushed to help us as we managed our zimmer, coats, chairs and doors. I guess the duck incident had cooled our welcome.
Tip for disabled visitors...ask for the key to the loo before treking back down the corridor.
Tip for the restaurant, managing disability is really tough, a bit of genuine tenderness would have been very welcome.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Excellent Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Excellent service by management and staff on the 3 occassions I have visited. Food is great.
My only complaint would be that I emailed management via the website firstly saying how great our evening had been but also to say I had twisted my ankle rather badly on broken stones in the walkway together with 2 other people who had problems with it on the same evening. Just thought I would have received an answer!! I did return last week for a meal but didn't want to spoil the lunchtime of my company I was with. Needless to say I avoided the broken stones.
Restaurant can smell of horse manure.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Best carvery I've ever had”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I am not a fan of carverys. I always imagine the meat sitting there for hours with kids sneezing bacteria all over it. I didn’t choose to go to this place but I was pleasantly surprised. The restaurant is attached to an equestrian shed, which I think is slightly dangerous because strong whiffs of horse manure generally doesn’t run up an appetite. However, I think it worked really well. A novel factor that boosted the standing of this small, remote restaurant. The food was warm, well cooked and I didn’t find myself with a cold the next day. Everything you wouldn’t expect from a carvery.

A really nice family atmosphere complimented by the friendly staff makes it a good place for a big family meal.

I was very impressed with this place and would definitely visit again.

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fareham, United Kingdom
“Good food, good service, and Cliff the superstar behind the bar is the ultimate host.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We used to go to marks expensives at hedge end, but this knocks marks into a cocked hat. The breakfasts are a pick and mix so you can have as little or as much as you need. The indoor equestrian centre is viewable from the restaurant so there is always something to look at. The views of the surrounding countryside are lovely. Big fire in the hearth with sofas and magazines if you just pop in for a cappuccino.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere