“Very welcoming, and just as much care taken of afternoon tea visitors as of full hotel guests” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amberley Castle

Save Saved
You added Amberley Castle to your Saves list
Amberley Castle
Church Street, Amberley BN18 9ND, England   |
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

The facilities are as luxurious as indicated in all the other reviews, but just wanted to make the point that as a family group visiting for 'high tea' we received just as attentive a service as someone checking in to the hotel or coming for full dinner, which I think is a credit to the hotel.

As a family group of 10 we were given a medium sized private drawing room to basically colonise for the entire afternoon, were never rushed even with small children running about the lawns and a chess game in progress, and the staff went out of their way to make everyone welcome including helping us move the furniture around to suit our group.

The relaxed and helpful approach meant it felt like renting a part of the castle for half a day, rather than just being given a table and being served sandwiches and scones, which makes it good value for a special occasion.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

203 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Haslemere, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

First class service and an excellent location. Our room was cosy but at the same time luxurious. The spa bath was like a small swimming pool! The waiting staff and maitre D were very knowledgable and nothing was too much of a problem. I don't eat meat and they happily swapped the ham for smoked salmon in the Eggs Benedict. I would definitely recommend this as a place to stay for a special treat or a quiet retreat. The white peacock strutting his stuff whilst we were having a pre-dinner drink in the luxuriant gardens made us smile and the alpacas are hilarious to watch. It made my birthday treat even more special when the staff presented me with a toy alpaca at breakfast on my birthday. Looking forward to the next visit ...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Macau, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed at Amberley for 3 nights, in the ground floor Bodliam room. First impressions are great, and generally the property lived up to the expectations created. It is not the place to go if you are looking for marble bathrooms, spa and fitness services and gracious public areas. It is what it is...a circa 900 year old property, which has been added to over the centuries, and left as original as practicable. The atmosphere and ambience of the property is what you are paying for, and is best soaked up by embracing it, with a game of croquet, a walk to the duckpond and treehouse, and pre-dinner drinks on the lawn.
The dining room is of baronial proportions, and the food both plentiful and first class. The atmosphere could be described as monastic, but you should not be over-awed by it. Couples whispered to each other as though they were in cloisters; refinement doesn't require virtual silence! Kelvin is a top rate sommelier, and surprised us on our last night with a wine we had not tasted previously.
The one slight downer was the 18 hole golf putting green, which was in poor condition when we arrived, though it was cut before our last "round". The concept is excellent, and the course is a challenge altogether different to tricked-up mini-golf courses.
You can drive through the portcullis and into a turning circle, which is the best way of unloading cases. We had a walk of only 25 metres to our room. It is not necessary to make the rather longer walk from the carpark, though that is where cars must be left if they are not loading.
All up, a fascinating experience. It is, though, fully priced when considered against its competition...think Glenapp Castle, for example.
If you must, there is free Wi-Fi available!

Room Tip: Suggest ground floor; there are no lifts. South side preferred, as it gives a view across the front...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I had always wanted to stay here, and so stay here, we did!
A fab stay. The room was a little too hot, but better that than cold in January (when the weather was unseasonably warm, after all). The food in the dining room was excellent, and the attentiveness of the serving staff could not be faulted. I am somewhat fussy, and this was handled with no discernable effort.
The cheeseboard I remember as being really very delicious and varied.
The grounds were lovely, as was the surrounding hamlet, which we explored.
Just one more in a suite of wonderful places that I shall never forget.
Always meant to come back to the tree house for a birthday tea, but never got around to it, sadly.
I will console myself with the fact that sometimes memories are best preserved intact :-)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Great setting, great rooms. I had a suite just outside the portcullis. Very comfortable.

I attended for a private dinner and overnight stay. Dinner was excellent, well prepared and served in a very ornate room. Drinks on the patio afterwards was great but obviously weather permitting.

The only small gripe was service. This wasn't up to 5 star standards especially when considering the price of over £600 per night. I ordered breakfast in my room and the wrong items were delivered, despite the person I spoke to calling me back to check he'd got it right.

My wife left her glasses in the room and, when I called to see if found, I was told Housekeeping was out and I would be called the following morning. No call came. When I called again the conversation went from no glasses found to yes we think they are here to we have posted them. I was promised a call back to confirm. No call came.

I have just called and been told the glasses are still there, nearly a week later, and will be posted today.

To summarise. Would have got 5 stars if we had been made to feel special like my experience at The Savoy. At this price, service is the key point.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

nearly impossible to find after dark, we finally found the castle after cruising a blackened village of amberley. One knows now what the blitz meant.complete darkness.
The castle is a delightful place and the rooms are very nice.
It comes with a hefty price tag though although it lacks what stressed clients need sometimes, a pool or a wellness area.the breakfast was superb although it took a while to be served.
one has access to the roof of the castle from the room and a brilliant view of the gardens and surroundings.
ask ahead though if there is not a wedding going on.it could spoil everything.asw it was too late for dinner i could not say how the restaurant works.
but put some efforts into signalling the place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
chichester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I had afternoon tea with 6 family members earlier this week and the attention to detail was poor i.e. had to wait 20 mins before the first service of sandwiches/cakes was served with no explanation of what things were. We fully expected the rest of the food to be brought straight out but we had to request same! There was no clotted cream but there was an explanation of the food! I did complain and the Gentleman in charge did apologise and gave us a bottle of fizz - this was appreciated but the gesture didn't improve the service. We had to ask 3 times for spoons for the small desserts to no avail so ended up using our teaspoons. Little things like the tea not being poured all added to our disapointment - previous visits have always been wonderful. I did feel like we had the 'B' team on duty and at £30 per head felt let down particularly as this was a special visit to celebrate my daughter just getting married and headig off on honeymoon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Amber1103, General Manager at Amberley Castle, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Theresa
Thank you for your resent post regarding your visit to Amberley Castle for tea; I will be looking into this and will come back to you directly. If I can be of any further assistance in the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me at the castle.
Kind Regards
Oliver Smith
General Manger

Been to Amberley Castle? Share your experiences!