“Good place to celebrate anniversary etc for the over 60s” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Bosham
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: The Millstream Hotel and Restaurant is located in Bosham, a stones throw from Bosham Creek in the Chichester Harbour and surrounded by the stunning Sussex downs. Millstream is a haven from the hustle and bustle, and its country-style interior and award-winning modern British menu provides a tranquil setting for long lunches and romantic evening meals. Popular dishes include the seared Shetland scallops with pea and mint purée, pancetta and foie gras cream; stuffed breast of guinea fowl with celeriac gratin, leek purée and honey roasted squash foam; and the fine selection of British cheeses served with biscuits, walnut bread, fruit chutney, celery and grapes. The bar, with its cosy fireside setting, is ideal for pre/post dinner drinks.
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Good place to celebrate anniversary etc for the over 60s”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We celebrated a 70th birthday with lunch at this stylish restaurant. It's not exactly a place for young people but it is great for special family centred events of mixed ages. We were a party of 6 and enjoyed the calm relaxing environment and very lovely staff. The meal was excellent and they served our birthday cup cakes that we brought along in style.
This was our second visit and we will definitely go again. After the meal we walked to Bosham Key before setting off home.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Chichester, United Kingdom
“Good " old-fashioned " service and wonderful food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Friendly, welcoming and comfortable.
The food is of superior quality.
The rooms are lovely and individually decorated. There is even a cottage in the garden!

Visited May 2013
Rhoon
“Very disapointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Visited the restaurant last June. Looked forward to it but we were very disapointed. Wrong seating at the back of the restaurant. We chose the tasting menu, with wine pack. 80 GBP p.p. Champagne and wine comes in cheep glasses. Staff was constantly running left and right from our table. The food was alright but not of a high standard. After the first 2 courses we had to wait 40 minutes before the next course was served. Staff didn't bother to ask if everything was oké and in the meanwhile we were sitting there with 6 empty wine glasses on our table. All of a sudden one of the waitresses looked at us and I think she saw, by the look of our faces, that we were not amused or happy at that table. Then suddenly there was a glass of spoom for us with excuses from that waitress for waiting so long for the next course. By the time the next course was served we were very angry and asked for the manager but there was no manager and the man at our table said in a very arrogant way that he was in charge and that's it. He said to me and my partner that there are always long intervals between courses because of the amount of wine that comes with the wine pack. We said that was nonsense because we just had two very small courses from the tasting menu and his colleage just made excuses for waiting that long. It all was a miserable experience. We are expirienced diners so we know all about tasting menu's. They just can't handle the pressure and to many customers with that little staff. So that was once but never again. By the time we left the restaurant we were almost in tears. There was a compensation when we paid the girl at the reception. We did not have to pay for the champagne we ordered extra.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“I've never felt so alive”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I'd like to take this opportunity to warn people away from this tawdry hotel. Firstly the pricing here can only really be described as fantastical... it's not far off London rates, and comes replete with lethargic, hap hazard and often upsetting service. Your first impression will be of the duct tape holding down the carpets upstairs, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Then you'll notice that your bedroom is probably heated to somewhere north of the recommended temperature for cooking oven pizzas, although if you're lucky you'll have a noisy and precariously placed air con unit balancing above your bed to mitigate that.

Given that my air con unit was far too loud to sleep underneath, I had to leave my window open for the whole time I stayed here in a desperate attempt to generate some air flow. Therefore on my 3rd night here I was treated to a (literally) horrifying experience where a local cat had climbed in through my window and woke me up by miaowing in my face (presumably because it needed me to let it back out of my room). As you can imagine that was unsettling, and I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about it since.

Moving on to the restaurant, all I can say is that it's best to eat at the Marwick brasserie tacked on to the hotel, rather than avail yourself of their in-house offering. Approaching Marwick's through the hotel proper is a bit like walking back in time; you'll notice nearly all of the clientele are 60+ and not conversing with each other. The food in Marwicks is fairly edible, so that's something. Give serious consideration to ordering an early breakfast to your room if you miss being made to feel like an inconvenience, and the night porter will duly oblige you with a sneer, to go with your morning greasy meat and stale bread.

Any hotel with carpeting in the bathroom has serious questions to answer, given how notoriously hard the stuff is to clean with any real purpose. On reflection I think it actually serves as a neat metaphor for the overall experience offered here. Given the prices, and availability of far more acceptable hotels a short hop away, this is definitely one to avoid. 1/5 and lucky that I can't work out how to give zero.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Bristol
“A traditional restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

We ate here twice while staying in the hotel. All the food we had was excellent. The menu was varied and tasty and cooked and presented well. The staff were very helpful and polite and overall the service was very good too. I would describe this as a traditional 'posh' restaurant with white table linen, slightly over attentive waiters, hushed voices and even a live pianist on Saturday night. The hotel seems to attract a slightly older crowd. All in all the dining experience was much better than I expected for a hotel.

• Visited June 2013