“Mystic place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Borobudur
Zurich, Switzerland
“Mystic place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

The Amanjiwo is located in the middle of rice paddies, far away from everything, on a hill, close to mountains, very quiet, with stunning views of Borobudur, the most impressive temple in Java. In the evening you hear the muezims from the nearby mosques, paired with the view a great atmosphere. Sometimes you can even see one of the biggest volcanos in Java (best in the early morning, the view is best then - great). Hotel architecture very nice, almost always views of Borobudur. Rooms very nice decor. Staff is very friendly.

Some downsides: Food varies, sometimes good, but not excellent. Service is very very friendly, but slow (e.g. had to wait 20 minutes for a soda) and sometimes missing english language skills. Well, do not get me wrong, it is still a very good hotel, but for a hotel in this category you could expect a higher standard of service and food (but this is unfortunately the same with all Aman Resorts, at least the ones I know).

I can really recommend this hotel as one of the best locations in South East Asia for a long weekend, very romantic, very quiet and relaxing! I recommend to ride a bike to the nearby villages, very interesting and rural, very good experience! You can spend time at the temple, walk through rice paddies etc. etc. - so relaxing!

• Liked — great location
  • Disliked — food and service not top (OK, but could be improved)
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

Amanjiwo was a dream i've turned on reality a few weeks ago and to stay in this incredible resort looking like a fabulous and serene temple has been an unforgettable experience.
From the arrival to the departure, everything has exceeded all our expectations. The staff is great, always smily and attentive and they're providing one thousand little attentions to make of your stay a memorable time. "Taking care" is more than anywhere else (apart of the other Amanresorts), their main objective.
At our arrival, we have been greeted with showers of rose petals and a delicious drink. The amazing GM, Sean waited for us and escorted us to our incredible suite: The Dalem Jiwo Suite...
The architecture is breathtaking. Around a circular limestone monolith centered by a soaring, there are 36 suites including the Dalem Jiwo. It's like a compound with two ultra large and comfy bedrooms, a magical rotunda for lounging and dining and this suite is completed by a 15 meters private pool with stunning views on Borobudur and the vulcanoes.
The design of the rooms and the common areas is simply beautiful, chic, elegant and with this unique javanese touch. The silver leaf ceiling of the main restaurant is impressive and you'll feel in your room like in a peaceful paradise.
The food at jiwo is absolutely delicious. We have had a private BBQ in our suite with dance performance and all the dishes were just irresistible. Moreover, we'll keep this dinner experience in our memory for lifetime because our two butlers made a superb decoration full of flowers and candles.
But at Amanjiwo, many other things don't have to be missed like an excursion at Borobudur at dawn and a return back to the resort by andong; the sunset martinis at Menoreh hill or in the rice fields (i've never drink a so good martini) ; some trekkings in the beautiful surroundings areas with a private guide; a javanese massage, the best we have never had before and simply relax in this so special atmosphere.
We'll never forget our stay at Jiwo, the smiles of all the employees and their great kindness, the very nice javanese population, the beauty of the resort and the GM, Sean Flakelar who is doing a great job.
Merci... It was fabulous....

• Liked — EVERYTHING: staff, design, food, outdoor adventure...
  • Disliked — impossible question...
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

Stayed there 2 nights in March, 2008. Loved every moment of it. I wished I could stay longer. The surrounding volcanoes were so beautiful that I felt like I was in a dream. The staff were all incredible. Borobudur is a must-see.

• Liked — The service, the architecture, the surroundings
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2008

This place is absolutely amazing.
There is something mystical about it. Probably a combination of its architecture, the omnipresent view of Borobodur (the temple a couple of miles away) and the volcanos which surround the valley.
The service was impeccable yet not excessively formal, the suite was majestic and the excursions made for unforgettable experiences (Borobodur at dawn is a must and the elephant safari is amazing). Make sure you have a bit of time to enjoy the hotel and the restaurant as well. You just may leave feeling that this is how the Zeus on the Olymp must have lived...

• Liked — The magical feeling of the place
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

I had heard so much about the Aman hotels that I was almost worried that the experience would be anti-climactic. Now that I've been, let's just say that it met all my expectations & more. It is truly one of the most beautiful places on earth. Approaching the hotel, the magnificent architecture is awe-inspiring, with coloseum like columns and a 'moat' filled with beautiful lotus flowers. Flower girls shower you with rose petals at the entrance while the homemade iced ginger beer awaits. The pool suite we stayed in was absolutely divine, so much so that we hardly left the room!But the icing on the cake must be the sunrise trip to Borobudur. Having special access as Aman guests, we watched the sun rise over the Merapi volcano from the pinnacle of the temple, together with no more than 20 people in all.It was magical. As for the other aspects, in our opinion, the service & staff were excellent in every way & the food overall was pleasant. Also,the hotel provides so many options for outdoor activities. They have a beautiful library, if you didn't bring your own book & they also provide paint, brushes & drawing paper if you're so inclined.There being no tv nor gym was not a problem at all. After all, with such a beautiful place, why would you want to do the same things that you would at home? I think the Aman has got their philosophy correct. Providing television & a gym would run contrary to the essence of Amanjiwo, the focus being the soul & peace.Savor the place for what it is as it is truly a unique experience.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2008

Borobudur has been on my husband’s must see list and so when we made another trip to SE Asia, I made it a point to visit Central Java. During my research, I found that two hotels gave you special access to the temple before the doors open to the general public – Amanjiwo and Manohara. I read about Manohara – and it didn’t appeal to me. I went to the Amanjiwo website… and the rest is history.

Reservation Process
I called the main reservation number (in Singapore) – fast and easy. Prior to making the reservation, I had some general questions/concerns about the hotel and Sean (the GM) replied to my emails in a very timely manner.

Arrival Process
We landed at Solo City – it is a 2 hour car ride to the resort from there. There are two routes to the hotel – using the main roads or through the mountains. The mountain route is the faster one BUT BUT BUT it is not for anyone who is prone to motion sickness. We’re talking about narrow windy roads.. I felt very sick, I had to tell the driver to stop at the halfway point – if he had continued on, I would have hurled my breakfast. Even my husband who is not prone to motion-sickness was feeling a little sick. (Maybe it was our driver too? At times I felt like taking over from him.) My husband and I walked for 10 minutes to shake off that yucky feeling while our driver followed closely behind us. When we finally arrived, we were greeted by the guest manager and our personal manager – who is responsible for organizing our activities etc.

Our Suite
We had a garden villa with the view of Borobudur. It’s really nice… I don’t think I would have enjoyed the stay as much if I was staring at the mountain slopes. (I believe Menorah Hills). We enjoyed having breakfast outside our room in the morning… so peaceful just looking towards Borobudur and the mountains and watching the farmers tend their rice field.

The outdoor tub is nice. (Especially nice at night with candles and petals…)

There isn’t a TV in the room. But we weren’t bored. The library has lots of magazines and some interesting books. They have a decent CD collection where you can borrow the CDs and bring it back to your room.

For those of you that can’t peel away from technology, there is WIFI all over the resort. The WIFI signal is strong BUT what good is it when the connection to the internet is so-so.

The Staff
The staff made our stay incredible. They pay so much attention to details. Since a service charge is added to the nightly rate, tipping is not required – this makes things so much easier.

Food was decent, some things better than others. I had the soursop Martini; Amanjiwo secret recipe…, I didn’t find anything special about it.. However I loved the local snacks they have in the cars, and suite!!!

Activites
We had the massage at the spa. My only complaint is the layout of the massage tables. We also did the sunrise at Borobudur – it was peaceful until the gates opened to the public. Enjoy the quiet for the first hour of so… once the school kids on their field trip come you’ll want to get out fast. We also made a trip to Selogriyo… it’s the drive and the walk that makes this memorable. And also the highly recommended meal at Pak Parno’s home where his wife will prepare some local favorite dishes. Apparently Pak Parno is a tennis instructor at Amanjiwo. We also had makan-malam, which is the Javanese feast.

Summary
This is a place for relaxation – if it rains there isn’t much you can do. If you don’t know how to relax, you will be bored. I know many of us balk at the price per night, but hey, if you can afford it, I highly recommend it. Absolutely no regrets. We’re planning for the next Aman stay…

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — Some of the meals were uninspiring
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Manchester, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2008

The Amanjiwo is undoubtedly a great hotel, but was not what the other reviews on trip advisor led us to believe. Below are the ups and downs of Amanjiwo:

+ The rooms are beautifully appointed and have wonderful views.
+ The hotel setting is abolsutely gorgeous and the views unrivalled.
+ The service is spot on.
+ The spa treatments are fantastic.
+ There are hundreads of activities to do.

- The coordination of the activities seemed disorganised and haphazard. A volcano trek was recommended to us, only for the manager to inform us it wasa gruelling 7 hour trek the day before we set off.
- We drove 2 hours for an excursion only to reach the temple and discover our guide could not tell us one tiny bit of information about it.
- The food was not good, unimaginative and limited.
- We went on a two hour bike trek, and one of the bikes was given to us when we set off with a flat tyre.
- There are no TVs in the rooms (this is a 5* hotel, even if it is meant to be relaxing, the option of television would be appreciated).
- There is no gym. With so little to entertain throughout the rainy afternoons at the resort, the addition of a fitness room would be greatly appreciated.

This resort really is very remote and is fantastic for the active sort. We did enjoy it, but were disappointed by certain aspects. I feel the fact we went in the rainy season somewhat tainted our opinion of the resort. Don't go in the rainy season if at all possible, it really does affect your stay as it rules out most activities and there is little else to do other than these...

Stayed December 2007

Been to Amanjiwo Resorts? Share your experiences!