“Amazing place, amazing staff but could do with a few repairs” 4 of 5 stars

Amanjiwo Resorts
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Ds. Majaksingi, Borobudur 56553, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Borobudur
Singapore, Singapore
“Amazing place, amazing staff but could do with a few repairs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed at the Aman Jiwo for three nights from the 8th-11th August. Initially booked into a Garden suite but upon arrival were upgraded two notches to a Garden Pool Suite (number 4). The pick up at the airport was seamless and the staff were all amazing. Special thanks to Deni who accompanied us on our excursions. His local knowledge and easy going nature made the trips totally worthwhile. Mark the manager was also on hand and seemed to appear out of nowhere to ensure that our needs were being taken care of and to give us some tips on the area and the history. He even gave us the recipe for the fantastic homemade ginger beer at the hotel!

We took three exusrsions during our stay. The first was a guided cycle tour around some of the local villages and art dealers. Deni took us to a pottery in the middle of nowhere and two great off the beaten track art galleries where we were welcomed by the owner into their houses to see the artwork. This then lead onto a Tofu maker and you have to try it along with a fresh Javanese Chilli. The highlight was the lunch picnic on the cliffs overlooking the meeting of two local rivers. Magical experience and the food as ever was perfect. The cycle back after the tour was uphill and the hotel would have arranged a car to pick us up but we took the more fun route of struggling back up the hill by pedal power.

We then took an afternoon guided tour of the monument. This is a must do as the guide was fantastic and told us more about the reliefs and the story of buddha than any book could do in such a short time.

The third trip was a sunset tour to Borobudur and a picnic breakfast at Dagi hill afterwards. This was fantastic and again we had Deni escorting us. He let us wander around freely and answered any questions we had for him. The breakfast on the hill was incredible as we saw the mist in the valley and views of volcanoes around us. The preying mantis that came to join us on the seat was a welcome visitor. Armed with bug spray we escaped with just a couple of mosquito bites each. We even got to feed some elephants that some other guests had arranged to travel up the hill on.

Now the bad part....
The resort is 16 or 17 years old. It is spotlessly clean and the facilities are great but the rooms are starting to show their age. Lightswitches not working properly or not attached to the wall properly for example. The sink kept blocking and then the plug snapped. There was also no complimentary tea or coffee in the room and when paying US$1000+ a night that should be there. Room service was slow and we ended up carrying our own luggage for checkout as despite calling reception twice, nobody came to collect the bags. A lot of the cushions on the terrace seating were worn away and fraying.
The spa was just a normal suite with the bed removed and two massage tables put in there instead. The sarong I was given to wear also was ripped with a large hole in it. The massages were fantastic but it wasnt a real spa experience.

You are clearly paying a premium for the amazing location and we would consider returning but please Aman, if you read this review give the rooms a modernise!

Room Tip: Go for the garden pool suite. Totally private. We had #4
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We've stayed at quite a few Amans over the years, and Amanjiwo just might be our favorate Aman of them all.

The property is stunning and full of character, there are plenty of things to see and do, and service is right up there with the best of the Bali Amans.

Everything from the airport transportation to dining to our activities were flawlessly executed, and all done with a wide smile. Everything we asked for was tended to promptly and in a friendly but professional manner. When we requested a specific dish for lunch, they delivered in spades - and they were all delicious. Our guide was just engaging enough to be interesting but discreet enough to stay out of our way when it was OUR time. Our room was refreshed each and every time we stepped out... even for a quick dip in the pool or for a snack in the dining area.

The architecture itself is fabulous. Amanjiwo drew inspiration from nearby Borobudur Temple, but it has its own identity and charm. Given that it's over a decade and a half old with nary a single refurbishment to the property, you would think it's overdue for an update.. far from it. It's stood the test of time, and it's still as fresh, modern and clean as any new property that I've stayed at. And the rooms - very spacious, bright and functional. We stayed at a Borobudur Pool Suite, which gave us great views of Borobudur itself as well as the surrounding countryside and mountains.

Activities wise, dinner at Pak Bilal's is an experience not to be missed. Prambanan Temple is a worthy detour (it's best to do it on the way from or to Yogyakarta Airport, given its proximity). A tour of the surrounding village on an "Andong" (i.e. horse cart) is a wonderful way to soak in the atmosphere as well as get an up close and personal look at the daily lives of the people in this part of Java. The definite highlight, of course, is a early morning visit to Borobudur to catch the sunrise there; what a majestic experience and one not to be missed!

Amanjiwo has better service and soul than Amantaka, more cultural activities than Amanusa and Amanpulo, and the service is on par with Amanpulo, Amanpuri and Amankila. In other words, it has an unbeatable combination of everything someone looks for in a high-end resort that is far away from home.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Shanghai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

This was my second Aman experience (after the Amanfayun in Hangzhou) and third US$1,000+ a night property that I had stayed in over the past 6 months and it is really in relation to the latter that I am judging the property.

Let me say that overall the experience was fantastic and I would strongly recommend anyone going to Borobodur to stay here if they can afford it. There is nothing else comparable in terms of accommodation in the area and the property is quite special. I would also suggest paying the extra US$100 a night and getting a Borobodur view suite.

The positives of the property are:

1. The setting: The hotel has a truly special location about 10 minutes drive from Borobodur Temple with views of the temple itself from some of the rooms.

2. Service: As has been mentioned in other reviews you are assigned the same driver/guide for your entire stay and I had specifically requested Didit. He was simply fantastic and would highly recommend asking for him. He has been with the hotel since it opened and is one of their most experienced and knowledgeable guides. Nothing was too much trouble for Didit (and the other staff) and what I like about the Aman style of service is that anything is possible unlike so many other places.

3.F&B: I found the food and drink to be excellent and would highly recommend trying the soursop martinis and the homemade ginger beer. One point to note is that alcohol (especially wine) is terribly expensive which is due partly to import taxes but be prepared to pay upwards of US$100 for an average bottle of wine that would cost a fraction of that in Europe.

4. Excursions: Even though they don't like the word 'excursions', the hotel has a number of these and we participated in 3 - Borobodur at Dawn, dinner at Pak Bilal's and the Dagi Hill breakfast. All were extremely well organised but I would not recommend the Dagi Hill breakfast. When we arrived for breakfast (after our Dawn Tour of Borobodur) our food was completely cold (I think they should organise it better so that the food is not there ages before the guests arrive) and I was bitten to death by mosquitoes. Given the breakfast is served in a grassy area they should have a mosquito coil to burn to keep away the mosquitoes. The dinner at Pak Bilal's on the other hand was worth every penny. While some people have complained that the quality of the food was not worth the price, the food while simple was delicious and there was so much that we could not finish it.

On the areas for improvement I think there are a few, especially given the prices charged:

1. While the property is well maintained despite being over 15 years old, the rooms could do with an upgrade. The sliding doors and mosquito screens in our room did not close completely so that insects could still come into the room. The sliding doors to the shower and bathroom were difficult to close too. When you are paying US$1000+ per a night you expect the doors to open/close without issue and the windows to shut fully.

2. The room did not have any tea/coffee facilities. At these prices as others have pointed out the room should really have a Nespresso machine.

3. Check-in Process. Unlike the Amarvilas where we were checked in en route from the train station to the hotel, we spent a 2.5 hour journey from the airport to the hotel that could have been used to plan our itinerary for our stay and check us in. Instead when we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by the GM who explained everything to us about the property when this could have been done in the car and, after a long and tiring journey, I just wanted to get to my room.

4. Poor Communication between Reservation Centre and Hotel: Despite booking months in advance and specifying on what dates I wanted to do the various activities I was told when I got to the hotel that my dinner at Pak Bilal's would not be possible on the night I wanted it but the next night was available. I don't know if the hotel 'bumped' me or if there was a lack of communication between the hotel and the reservation centre and I didn't raise a fuss since the next day worked for me but I would have expected better from the Aman. There was no apology given or any attempt made to make up for this inconvenience (e.g. a fruit basket or a complimentary drink as a gesture).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bali, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My girlfriend and I choose to experience the Borobudur and was recommended to stay in Aman Jiwo.

The hotel is placed in the most quiet and amazing location, the space and view are spectacular.

I love they arrival when the driver stops on the middle of the hill to show you the Borobudur through the lobby of the hotel, that was an amazing experience.

We did sunrise in Borobudur walking through and getting this spiritual feeling around us was just a pleasure followed by morning picnic in the forest overlooking the Borobudur.. wow, so fresh and nice.

Not to forget the traditional Javanese massage which I got by this old man, he was so strong and it was a bit painful but you knew that the pain was him repairing your body. wow I will never forget that!

Can definitely be recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Gatos, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We had a lovely stay at Amanjiwo. The hotels provides an oasis of luxury in a very remote area. The activities are all terrific. The staff is friendly and welcoming.
However, this is an extremely expensive resort. It does not provide the level of service and attention to detail we experienced at other Amans, such as Amansara and Amankila, and the dining experience in the restaurant really needs improving. But this is the resort to stay at if you are visiting Borobudur and don't mind the prices.
First the good:
The architecture is heavenly. Loads of creamy marble set between green fields, hills and a village with Borobudur in the background. We requested a garden pool suite and were upgraded to the Borobudur pool suite. Fabulous room with pool terrace and great attention to detail in the room--snacks, ice, water colors and brushes, candles, flowers, even a purse and hat. Everything is well maintained. The grounds included a long pool overlooking a field--perfect for laps. Great pool service.
The entire staff was very friendly and cheerful. We enjoyed all of the activities--horse cart and market tour, Borobudur at dawn and elephant ride, guided bike ride to the villages, hill trek, Dinner at Pak Bilal's home and the morning meditation class.
The not so good:
The food and food service have room for improvement. For example, one night we had cocktails on the terrace. After a long wait we ordered drinks, my son and husband were finally given their drinks and I was given an empty wine glass. We thought someone would come back to fill the glass, they left and never came by to check on us. Finally we found a manager and I got my wine. By the way, a glass of wine, a mixed drink and a fruit drink are about $50 here. A steep price for such bad service. Meals should have been a terrific experience in the killer restaurant (like other Amans), but the service was so slow after our first breakfast and dinner in the restaurant we switched to private dining in our room for every meal (the staff providing room service was outstanding!)
The dinner food on the European menu was crazy expensive, just OK and had very small portions. We stuck to the Indonesian menu, which was tastier and better priced.
One bit of advise, we were on the package with "three specially created Aman activities". If you do this package you might want to find out which of the activities are the free ones when you are signing up. I was surprised by which ones were the free ones and which ones were not at check out (the cheaper ones are the free ones, like the stop off at Prambana on the way to the airport). But I suppose if you staying at Amanjiwa, what is another 5 million rupees?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

As I said in previous reviews, I'm addicted to Aman Rsorts: in Bhutan, in Sri Lanka, and now in Indonesia's Central Java. We arrived at Yogyakarta's airport (the nearest one to the Borobudur Temples) nearly dead, after a over 30 hours straight trip, that started in Tangalle (in Southern Sri Lanka), passed through Colombo, Singapore, Jakarta, Yogyakarta and ended at Amanjiwo's portic in Borobudur. The service provided by Aman's team was so perfect: they nearly rescued us at the plane's door at Yogyakarta's airport, took us to a vip lounge and drove us straight to Amanjiwo's premises. Wonderful! I won't write much about Amanjiwo, as there are already so many reviews praising the hotel and its services. I'll just say: they are all true! You can trust them, as I did! Staff, management, gastronomy, body therapists, guides and excursions organized by, rooms, gardens, pool facilities, Wi-Fi technology (even inside the hotel cars), architecture, environment, view of Borobudur Temple from the Hotel, design and personel uniforms: all perfect. Expensive? Yes, but extremely rewarding. And happiness and wellness have no price. Enjoy! It's Heaven! Thank you Mark and the Amanjiwo Family, you made our holidays unforgettable!

Room Tip: My room was Nr. 23. A lovely room, very comfortable, with a gazebo overlooking the plain and Borobud...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bangkok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

If you can afford it, dont look any further, it is still a great place to stay. Villas are huge, romantic, wonderfull, terraces are great. Food is the weak point again, and so is the english and the ability of some of the stafrf. Most are very friendly, whiich helps, but the restaurant needs a trained restaurant manager to be on the spot all time. For this price of the Villa, the service is not good enough, after all it is one of the most expensive Hotels in Indonesia.

Room Tip: Take a private pool Villa
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Amanjiwo Resorts? Share your experiences!