“Best by Chidambaram standards” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Saradharam

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chidambaram
Hotel Saradharam
You added Hotel Saradharam to your Saves list
19 V.G.P. St.,Opposite to Chidambaram Bus Station, Chidambaram 608001, India   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Chidambaram
chicago il
“Best by Chidambaram standards”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

I visited Chidambaram with my aged parents in December 2011. We had booked a room at the Hotel Akshaya. But after the drama we had to endure there, we stopped by Sharadaram the next day and inquired about available rooms. They had a couple and offered us the option of viewing both rooms before we booked either one. After we picked one of the rooms shown, we discovered that the geyser did not work. The bell boy who helped us with the luggage, promptly brought the electrician and the manager and they fixed it right away. The infrastructure of the hotel is pretty old, but we had a great experience. The cleanliness is not of the best standard, but it was still better than most other hotels in that area that I had seen. The A/C is old, but functional and the staff are polite and courteous. I wouldn't rate this as the best hotel I have stayed in, but given Chidambaram's other hotels, this is pretty good.

Room Tip: If you are there in person, ask to see the room before you book it.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Hotel S, Manager at Hotel Saradharam, responded to this review, April 29, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kind response. I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and I assure you that we will work smarter in near future to do our best and to make our guest stay much more pleasant and wonderful.

Thank you once again and hope to welcome you soon.

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
chennai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

though very well knowing the fact that this lodge( not hotel) does not provide mosquito repellant mat in every room,receptionist enquiring about mat during our check out was the height of idiocy of the staffs and the mentor who trained them!!!!!shelling out rs 3000/ inr per day for a room ( so called suite) that does not have power supply from 9 to 1pm and 3 to 6pm was the height of idiocy on my part! suffered a lot without fan or proper ventilation during peak summer.manager, its easy to blame your government for the power supply and pass the buck.my personal opinion is that the management shud run generator during these hours.
house keeping NON EXISTENT..Room and toilet not cleaned even once during our 3 days stay.repeated calls to reception and house keeping fell on deaf ears.didnt even have the courtesy to visit room when we complained about non-functioning geyser.
only consolation was the food @ anu pallavi .
heard that other hotels are even worse...known devil is better than unknown angel.
travel desk is jus for name-sake.arranging cars from outside travel agents for want of kick-backs

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Hotel S, Manager at Hotel Saradharam, responded to this review, April 1, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kind response and I wish to inform you that I am replying to this issue after conducting a thorough inquiry in all the respective departments.

With regards to the Power Supply & the Geyser I assure you that it was well informed at the time of Check-in that it is on a temporary basis only and also due to our maintenance issues. Also due to the heavy occupancy we had to accommodate you in that room. Apart from it Hot Water was provided upon request without failure.

All the rooms have been provided with the mosquito Mat and I am very sure we would not miss the suite rooms as the Room inspection checklist and the records indicate that the Mat was provided and also at the time of providing occupied service & the check-out inspection the staff had found it in your room. Thus I conclude that you were not aware of where it is being placed in the room.

I also wish to inform you that our House Keeping and Reception does operate round the clock and I am sure in case of any inconvenience it would have brought to the Manager's notice immediately.

I find that it is my responsibility to explain that our records and our systems are very clear yet my sincere apologies in case of any disappointments during your stay. I certainly assure you that we always do our best to make everyone's stay the most memorable & pleasant. We shall work even better to do so in the future. Thank you.

Chennai (Madras), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I have stayed in Saradaram hotel for a night on 03 March, 2012. Reserved through online, got the proper reply and reservation was done. I came on 3rd March at 10:00 and I was asked to wait for 20-30 mins as the room was getting cleaned. The horrible thing was there is no power supply from 10:00 to 12:00 and 15:00 to 17:00. I agree that this is due to government electricity problem. But I would like to know that the hotel is charging lumpsome of money from the people like us but cannot afford a generator or an inverter for the fans and lift. We had to walk by steps to the 3rd floor with our luggage. The funniest thing I have noticed on the room was a notice warning about the monkeys, the guest should not open the windows otherwise monkeys will snatch things. Without power supply for 4 hrs in the hot place like that how one can survive with opening windows.
During the summer it would be horrible to stay in that place without even a fan. Also a/c was not cooling properly as it was an old make of 1960's with a very loud noise with which you will not be able to sleep.
The room was of very ordinary condition not worthy to the rate they were charging it for. There was no proper lighting in the room. The room service was horrible; you had to call them 4-5 times to get your things.
Morning breakfast at Anu Pallavi restaurant was the only good thing I found there with a sufficient south Indian items, fruit salad, and continental breakfast menu.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Hotel S, Manager at Hotel Saradharam, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Dear Sir,

First of all I would like to thank you for staying with us and also sharing your comments.

Secondly, I would like to remind here that in our emails we have clearly stated that your reservation was only on a provisional basis and if you wish to confirm it then we did request you to make a refundable deposit amount if the cancellation was made prior to 28hrs. Since there was no response from your side and thus upon arrival we did our best to get the rooms clean and tidy and the earliest.

Also with regards to the power issues, the government has issued us the Power Holiday notice and also there has been frequent power failures recently all over the state. In spite of these issues, considering the comfort of all our guest we are operating Genset through out the day and night except for certain minimal hours during the day only as it cannot be operated 24hours.

Finally, I wish to bring to your kind attention that we do our best to make our guests stay as much as comfortable we can and shall certainly do much better in near future.

doha
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

i have stayed there for a night on 25 Feb,2012. Reserved through online, got the proper reply and reservation was done. Upon reaching the hotel, the doorman was very pleasant person but the receptionist and other staff should still learn how to smile and greet the guests. The room no i was staying in was 307 - it was an A/c room. When i have plugged in my cell phone charger smoke came out of the plug due to improper earthing. The room was of very ordinary condition not worthy to the rate they were charging it for. The bellman who escorted us to the room has told us that the mineral water bottle is a complimentary from the hotel. There was no fluorescent lighting in the room, lighting was rather improper, i was unable to read my documents which i was supposed to complete by the morning. Room service menu was like a table calendar which was not organized rather it was confusing. The room service only serves between 7.00 am till 10.30 pm. If you require anything after 10.30 pm should depend upon the street side vendors and local tea shops. Reception is also not fully functional in the night. I saw two guys sleeping in the counter early morning. Bathrooms are not suitable for so called three star grading. A broken bucket and a handle less mug was served in the room. In the WC it was written that "hygienically cleaned". taps were stained, and the water pressure especially in the WC faucet was too low. A/c was not cooling properly as there was no control knob over there. Morning break fast at Anu Pallavi restaurant was good with a sufficient south indian items, fruit salad, and continental breakfast menu, but the young waiter was only interested in collecting the breakfast coupon from us. He neither greeted us nor asked do we require anything? Upon asking for coffee he did not even stayed there on his way beside our table, but he brought the coffee and placed on the table as if it was in the local tea shop. upon check out, i have seen another guest complaining that his room was not cleaned for last two days. The funniest thing i have noticed on the room was a notice warning about the monkeys. the guest should not open the windows other wise monkeys will snacth things. There are lot of monkeys in Chidambaram area. Best part i have seen was the rooms were non smoking and there is a designated area for smokers in each three floors.

Room Tip: always ask for a good room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Hotel S, Manager at Hotel Saradharam, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Dear Sir,

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback as it is most valued to us.

Secondly, I would certainly look into those issues you have pointed out and will ensure that the responsible people are being informed about this and also necessary actions will be taken to improve our standards in the near future. I also will address this issue in our training sessions.

Finally, I would like to welcome you once again at our Hotel to experience a much more pleasant and comfortable stay.

Chennai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

We had made reservations for a one night stay (2 suites) in this hotel for last week and we called a day before to reconfirm the reservation and also 2 hours before we checked in to tell them that we'd be there by 2 PM. We had lunch on the way and we got to the hotel exactly at 2 PM. We were curtly told by the front desk that the rooms were being 'cleaned' and it would take 20-30 minutes.

We had 3 sleepy and cranky children with us under the age of 4 and we had been driving from Chennai since 6:30 AM. Also considering that we had informed them at 11:00 AM that we would be arriving at 2:00 PM, I was taken aback by this response. I asked for at least one room to be given immediately but none of the front desk people were giving me a proper response. I had to raise my voice to get a response, since the children were crying and the hotel staff weren't bothered. The manager, a Mr Rajashekar, came over and told me rudely (& quite loudly) "You have to wait! We cannot give you a room whenever you want". This was quite upsetting and a shouting match ensued, not once did anyone seem apologetic or worried about customer care.

Knowing Chidambaram, I knew we had no choice of other hotels and we had to get the children to sleep, since there was a family function at 4:30 PM, so I had to take the rooms. But even as we walked over to the lift the manager was loudly berating me to someone else there.

The rooms ware far from adequate and the breakfast the next day had extremely charred toast.

If you have to stay in Chidambaram, this is the only choice but I'm sure you stay in Pondicherry or on the road from Pondicherry there are much better options there.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Hotel S, Manager at Hotel Saradharam, responded to this review, January 28, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing Hotel Saradharam, Chidambaram.

Secondly, I wish to inform you that your reservation was only provisionally confirmed as there was no deposit received from you before arrival. Also since we operate on 24hrs check-out basis and have only 3 Executive Suite rooms available, right after we received your call on the day of arrival just before few hours we did our best to give you 1 clean room up on arrival immediately and did request you for only 20mins of your time so then we can give you the 2nd room.

Finally, I wish to inform you that we have always ensured the safety and comfort of all our guests so far and have done our best to make everyone's stay as pleasant as possible. Please do understand that we did our best to accommodate you comfortable as early as possible. I also assure you that we shall certainly do our best to make your stay much more comfortable and pleasant in the near future.

Thanking you.
Management
Chandigarh, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

I stayed here twice for two weeks at a t ime while doing my correspondence course from Annamalai. It was the only decent place in Chidambaram- it was fairly clean and located centrally.

The breakfast buffet was probably the only good part where their food was concerned. They had a great south Indian spread every morning but apart from that, their food was not very decent. There wasnt much to chose from and always left the desire to want more.

After some time we got to know the staff, which was helpful because we could ask them to clean the loos and change the linen. The bathrooms were pretty dirty and could use a real scrub.

The second floor rooms were nicer and newer with cleaner bathrooms, but more expensive.

There is no internet except in their 'business' center and it doesnt always work, and too expensive.

It wasn't my favourite place in the world but it kept me comfortable enough for the two weeks I spent there.

Room Tip: The second floor rooms are newer and nicer. Cleaner bathrooms.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Dear Sir,

We thank you so much for choosing Hotel Saradharam, Chidambaram.

I hope that you had a comfortable stay with us. Since due to some technical difficulties the business center was not able to function for a while but we have rectified it now.

We also would like to inform you that we shall certainly do our best in all aspects to ensure the satisfaction of all our guests. We thank you once again and hope to welcome you in the near future.

Kyoto, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

We stayed for only two nights here, and spent most of our time outside the hotel. The room was clean, but of course
Pros:
1. Fantastic little restaurant called Pallavi connected to the hotel. The food was stellar, and super-inexpensive. I recommend the parotta, the paper roast (eat it like the locals, with your hands), Indian tea, and vegetable rice. Do NOT eat at Anupallavi, another restaurant that sits behind the hotel, accessible through the same entrance as Pallavi. Anupallavi serves very expensive not-so-good food, and the A/C was cranked to the max.
2. The staff were very friendly, especially the women behind the desk. They answered questions about different things to do, helped set up an appointment with a Vedic astrologer, and even let us use the front desk phone for free to make a couple of local calls. They also were quite accomodating when we requested a bucket of hot water for our showers.

Cons:
1. No hot water. However, you can call down to the front desk and they will send up a good-sized bucket of very hot water.
2. We had a room facing the east side of the city. There was very loud music and voices from what sounded like movies playing late into the night from somewhere outside the hotel. We managed to sleep fine, but if you have trouble sleeping with any type of loud noise, it could be a problem.

Overall, a good experience.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam,

We thank you so much for choosing Hotel Saradharam, Chidambaram.

We are glad that you had a wonderful stay with us and we shall certainly take necessary steps to enhance our facilities in the near future. We assure you that we will do our best to ensure your stay much more comfortable and pleasant during your next visits.

Manager

Been to Hotel Saradharam? Share your experiences!