“Grand” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in El Albir
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Grand”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Hotel was nice but it echoed every pin drop. However, it is away from the main street so it wasn't too bad if your neighbours are considerate. Would advise getting a room facing towards the beach - the inner side rooms overlooks the pool which gets a bit noisy, but mainly for the fact that the view is quite something!
Food was low grade, the chefs did well with what they had, we went half board which we drifted away from quite early on.
The staff were really really lovely, i couldn't fault them, they appeared very hardworking but cheery and friendly.
I was a bit miffed that the spa had to be paid for - if we had wanted to use it every day for a week, it would have added an extra é210 to our stay (é15 pp/pd), which slightly defeated the purpose of paying so much for the hotel... heyho, it did look nice though.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Teresa A, Guest Relations Manager at Sun Palace Albir & Spa, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Sir,
We are really very happy for the comments throught trip advisor, on behalf of Sun Palace Human Team we want to thank your words, your opinion help us to continue working and making all the necessary efforts in order to get the satisfaction of all our guests.
We want to add we have taken some measures following your advise about the noise to avoid this problem. We hope to see you again in a near future to test our changes.
Thanks a lot and best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
Cahir, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed three nights at the Sun Palace. It was clean, the staff were friendly and there was a lot to do. A very large pool surrounded by 4 storeys of rooms, a games room, restaurant, bar, patio areas etc. There were quite a few families there and the pool was a great attraction for the kids. There is a spa area, for which one pays extra but I didn't use it. Breakfast was included but average really! Music is played at the pool in the mornings for exercise classes and in the evening. I have to say I enjoy music but this was very loud and the same music repeated over and over, very tedious!! Lots of Europeans from outside Spain there, Russian, Polish and only a few Spanish, some Irish (us) and British. The hotel itself is noisy as the bedroom we had overlooked the main games/bar area. It is up the hill on the fringes of Albir. It is about a 15 minute walk to Albir beach which is very attractive with lots of bars and restaurants. Albir is an attractive enough area near Benidorm but with few if any night clubs or really busy bars. I might consider returning but found it too noisy in general.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Teresa A, Guest Relations Manager at Sun Palace Albir & Spa, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear customer, thanks in advance to choose Sun Palace Albir for your stay. We are really very proud to contribute in offering you a good holiday days during your stay at our facilities. I would like to take advantage of this media to comment you for the next time, we have a free transfer to the beach for all our customer from 9:00 hours to 20:00 hours and working during the whole year.
I regret your comments about the noise and I want to inform you we have taken some additional measures in order to solve this problem that will be done very soon.
Slough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Let's start with the good bits: helpful friendly staff, rooms a reasonable size and very clean as was the bathroom, good free internet access (two step process to access and requires a new ticket from reception for each device),

Location is a little outside the main area, up the hill, but still walkable. Lots of loud, occasionally intrusive, aga-do-do-do type music which is perhaps to be expected for a holiday hotel in Spain.

Bad bits: scratchy towels and toilet paper. The breakfast is rubbish; so bad that I didn't bother on the second day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Customer,
Thanks in advance to choose Sun Palace Hotel for your Stay. We really appreciated your comments in order to improve our customer service. We strongly regret your opinion about the quality of our breaksfast and we inmediately transmit your advices/complaints to the corresponding department in order to improve and correct our service in that sense.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

It felt like a friendly, upmarket, family run hotel - for Spaniards.

Large, very clean rooms.

Friendly helpful staff, but spoke little English.

95% of guests were Spanish. Nice to get away from other Brits !

Tasty food and good range. Not what I would expect from a 4* hotel though. Geared to Spanish taste I would imagine.

Entertainment very loud and garish until exactly midnight.
I moved rooms because of the noise.
Would score Excellent, but for the noise.
I would book again, but for the noise.

Room Tip: The hotel being U shaped . . . Rooms facing away from the centre of the U, and generally away from...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Teresa A, Guest Relations Manager at Sun Palace Albir & Spa, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thanks in advance for your comments. Your opinion is really very important to help us to improve in order to get our best standard of quality and service for our guest.
I inform you we take note of all the details to report the corresponding departments.
Finally, I take this opportunity to thanks again your stay in Sun Palace. We are here to serve you.
Regards.
Grenoble
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I spent a long week-end there with my fiancée and we found out many pros and cons about the Sun Palace**** at Albir, but overall I must admit the stay was over-average and very enjoyable.

The hotel is situated up a slope and is quite distant from the sea (5 to 10 minutes drive). While driving through Albir to find out the hotel, we found out many signs to bring us near our destination... Unfortunately the "Hercules Calle" isn't well posted, so we drove past it to completely uphill... In fact, it's just on your right while driving up - that's the big white block, can't miss it !!! Oh, and taxis CAN drop you in front (saw someone wrote the contrary!).

The hotel is huge (again, that's Spain). When entering, it smells of spa / water (guess you know what I mean). Most of the visitors are old people... Hopefully, there were some young couples too! The entertainment in the afternoon was the old guys learning some moves which they were happy and proud to show during the night "senior dancing". Well, we weren't there for the entertainement hopefully :-)

The rooms were very spacious (even in terms of Spanish standards) and we were on the right wing, a bit outside from the central part of pool and entertainment... which was a good thing as it was silent. I guess all rooms are air-conditioned and Satellite TV is available. We had a nice large individual balcony where we could put towels and suits to dry up! There was a table with 2 chairs out there... And of course, if you're lucky enough like we were to have a room at the ends of the hotel, you'd have a stunning view from the balcony on Albir.

The rooms are clean, a bit old ans rusty by places, but clean!

The food was a blow for me... Being in Spain, I expected a lot of local fresh fruits and vegetables... but for the FREE breakfast, the rashes of bacon were fat and oily. The fruit juice was def not "natural". You can choose among a wide variety of English breakfast (saussage, bacon, eggs...) and French pastries and pancakes... or have it all like the greedy me! For the drinks, you could have flavored tea (unfortunately no black tea) and coffee (from instant powder :-( well, as I said I was upset with the quality, but hey, it was all free)! Well, the good thing was that you can go to any local café nearby and ask for a "zumo de najanya natural" (freshly squeezed orange juice)! I'd say that the breakfast was more about quantity than quality :-(

On our arrival, we rented a car at Alicante airport (that's 30 minutes drive only). We booked through Booking.com and It turned out that our parking space for the 4 days was included (or offered), that was a nice surprise :-)

The spa was exceptional. And funny thing is that the few couples were all there, I asked myself why but well... whatever! You have to pay an additional 12 euros per person and you get to access a private heated swimming pool with the staff coming to activate the water jets on your body. You also can access the sauna and the hammam. For some extra cost, you could have different massages. I'd reccomend the chocolate, the seaweed and the neck and back massage... the guys there do a great job - I felt like flying on leaving!

The staff is very friendly, smiling and extremely helpful. they were always quick to react in any case (For example: arrived in the busy breakfast restaurant... they cleaned qucikly a table for us)

Room Tip: If you're aiming for an executive room, you'll get 20 % discount as from 3 nights! Get a ro...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear customer,
Thanks in advance for your comments about Sun Palace Albir. Your opinion is really very important for us and a powerful tool to improve our customer service.
We are really very happy to know we get to satisfy your expectatives during your stay in our facilities.
We want to communicate you we have introduced some new changes at our buffet in order to resolve some problems based on the opinion of our customers.
We hope next time in a future, you can test by yourself of our changes.
La Marina, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Personally I think it is a 3 star hotel and is only made a 4 star because of the Spa.
The rooms are nice and spacious, the hotel is nice and the restaurant is a cheap buffet meal anyone could make.
As to the location there isn´t much within a walking distance. You have the smallish town of l´Albir next to it and Benidorm about 15 to 20 minutes away in car.

Overall I would go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear customer,
Thanks in advance for your comments. The opinion of our guest are really very important for us in order to improve our service.
I take advantage of your letter in order to clarify some importan questions in my opinion.
The mark of the four stars stablishment is based not only for having an SPA if not depending of the number of square metros in the rooms.
I really regret your opinion about Sun Palace but I cannot share it with you, specially taking into account we achieve sufficiently with all of the procedures for a 4 stars hotels following the tourism spanish law.
I remember you some other foreign 4 stars hotel, specially in London, perhaps you change your expectatives when you visit one of them.
Finally, if you want to share with us your experience at Sun Palace we will be very happy to attend you.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Great Hotel situated up a fairly steep hill
but only 5 minutes walk from the lovely
seaside town of Albir with lots of shops &
nice restaurants, Great breakfast including a glass of bubbly, the also do full board but we ate out in the evenings
Very popular with the Spanish & we were
the only Brits there which we liked & Benidorm us only 3kms Nightly entertainment & Spa also free Wi-Fi

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Sun Palace Albir & Spa? Share your experiences!