We just stayed at the Bougainvillea for 5 nights... Quite a long stay when on safari. But as we're travelling with two young children (age 2 and 4), we wanted a central location from where we could organise our trips.
Everything went as planned and even better : all our plans could be changed instantly if we needed them to. From the first e-mails I had send to ask for information, to the good-bye's when we left... All was done in a 'hakuna matata'-way! Specials thanks to Daniel and Francis to coordinate our stay there as well as the very proffessional game-drives we did through Lake Manyara NP and Ngorogoro Crater. If our kids were too tired of travelling or sitting in cars, they were able to change the program with a smile! When we arrived, they even gave us the option to still stay in a family room instead of two rooms with connecting doors. This saved us quite some dollars and as we had discussed it differently before, they could have just given us the bigger and more expensive option.
Dinner is always a treat and tastes like home-cooking. Whatever people have written before me (that is positive) about dinner is true...
The entrance/reception/bar/restaurant is a meeting point, where everybody sits at the fireplace in the evening before dinner, looking back at all the great stuff they've seen during the day.
The rooms aren't fancy, but very spacious and clean. And most importantly : they come with a fireplace that will be lit for you upon request. The cold nights (Karatu lies at +- 1400 meters altitude) make this not really a luxury, although the cosyness a fireplace brings makes it feel like one!
We also chose this lodge for the swimming pool. Given the fact that our toddlers would fancy a play-break in the water from time to time, we found it a good choice. We weren't blessed with the warmest weather, but we swam and the pool -as well as all other areas- was well maintained.
The biggest plus of all might even still be the general positive vibe you get when staying here. Everybody is genuinly friendly and interested. The entire staff makes you feel most welcome...
Our guide/driver was Peter. I must say, he defintely added value to our game-drives. He's not only a skilled 4WD operator, he had good knowledge about all the critters we encountered. Which we also did mainly thanks to his well trained eyes!
We'd defintely contact Bougainvillea next time we'd go on a Safari in Tanzania!
- Also Known As:
- Bougainvillea Safari Hotel
- Bougainvillea Safari Hotel Karatu
- Bougainvillea Safari Lodge Tanzania/Karatu
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bougainvillea Safari Lodge, located a few minutes from the Ngorongoro Conservation Area gate, offers comfortable accommodation, excellent food and friendly service at a reasonable price. Manager and executive chef Reggie Bayo has many years of experience and his food is legend on the northern safari circuit. Each comfortable room has a fireplace; family cottages and triples are available. There is a comfortable lounge and bar as well as a swimming pool and gift shop. ... more less