“Above average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sherbourne Guest House

Sherbourne Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kitwe
Sherbourne Guest House
You added Sherbourne Guest House to your Saves list
20 Pamo Avenue | Parklands, Kitwe, Zambia   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Kitwe B&B and Inns
Fredericton, Canada
“Above average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have stayed 3x at Sherbourne over the past 3 years . I like the ambience. Quaint and delightful. Rooms are average and need improvements. . Menu is quite ok but after 3 years could use a change. Check in and slowness to payment etc was a bit painful. I like this place but it has much more potential if it invested more !

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Lorraine B, General Manager at Sherbourne Guest House, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Wow ! What a fantastic review . Thank you so much Mr Paul L for taking the time to say nice things about our place. We have been here for 20 years and are looking to revamp the lodge this year once we open our brand spanking new hotel two streets away. I am sorry about the slowness of our check in procedure. We are looking at a new booking system that will be quicker. It so nice and precious of you to keep on coming back. We love having you and look forward to your next visit. Thank you

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

The Sunday Buffet was absolutely sublime, they offered a hog roast which I loved. The service was good, the staff were friendly, there was an adjacent casino which was full of life. The scenery and the swimming pool was beautiful. Although some reviews complained about noise, when I went I found it very quiet and peaceful as my room was far from the bar/restaurant area

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Lorraine B, General Manager at Sherbourne Guest House, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Sassy girl2014. Thank you so much for your fantastic review. It was a pleasure having you.
We would love to see you again.

Madurai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

The Sherbourne Guesthouse is overflowing in lush greenery - each corner filled with delightful African handwork and knicknacks. The rooms are clean and comfortable.

The breakfast offered is a little dissappointing in that it is a small spread and not much choice.The downside is that the facilities are not always reliable and in working condition. But the staff are quite friendly and helpful, making up for this in a great part.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much Dravilla for your positive review.
We are open to suggestion and criticism .Please come again as it was a pleasure having you. Most importantly if you would like additions to the breakfast, please please, just ask and we will oblige within reason. Thank you so much.

Zambia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Service was atrocious. Waiters rude, refused to serve us breakfast because the manager had gone out and had locked up the eggs! We had to call the manager and offer to go buy our own ingredients. Appalling.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Zed traveler 2012. Thank you so much for taking the time to review our lodge. Firstly, I do apologise for your very bad breakfast experience. In my 20 years of running this place, we have never run out of eggs and I have no idea as to what transpired. I am disappointed at the rude waiter who never brought this to management's attention. I sincerely hope that apart from the eggs issue, you enjoyed your stay with us. You are always welcome.

Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed in room 2 in the Annexe. The manageress at the front desk was friendly and helpful but although she promised to get the air conditioning to work properly, on the 3rd day, it still was not working. A loose connection to the bedside light was corrected, although the habit of putting 2 pin round plugs into sockets designed for 3 pin square plugs causes problems eventually! Rooms are clean and well appointed although the huge bathroom was a bit much! I missed a proper shower here. A simple dinner took far too long to arrive but the menu is fairly good and the service OK. The breakfasts are excellent with plenty of choice and may even remove the need for lunch! For business purposes, its good to be able to start breakfast at 6.30am.....extra points Sherbourne!

Room Tip: Persons coming in later than you may disturb you in the annexe....best stay in rooms 11-20 and there...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you Steffen K for your review. I do apologise for the delay in fixing the air conditioner and the issues in your room. Our resident handyman went off sick and the maintainance suffered a little. All fixed now in room 2. Thank you for staying with us. It was a pleasure.

Lusaka, Zambia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Comfortable and clean room, good service. Convenient access to restaurant, and the new 888 Casino that opened makes the stay more worthwhile due to the entertainment value. I haven't seen a casino this nice anywhere in Zambia other than in Lusaka. The decor is nicely done, the tables and chairs are new and comfortable, and there are more than 20 slot machines that look brand new. They serve drinks and have a friendly staff that is constantly looking after you, no pressure to play. There were around 10 people on the tables and 5-10 on the machines when I was there, so its not overcrowded, but has a nice vibe to it. They offer roulette, blackjack, carribean poker on the tables, and many games on the slots. I overheard some of the groupier talking about a possible addition of hold-em poker room, that would be really fun for cash games and tournaments. Will check them out again next time I'm in town for business.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you Seb S for your wonderful review. We really appreciate. Glad you liked the casino. We hope to see you again. The pleasure is all ours.

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip in April. Although the other reviews mention the noise from the bar, it was fairly quiet the 5 days I stayed here. I was close to the bar but never really did the sound level bother me. The rooms are large enough and the bed comfortable, and fitted with a mosquito net.WiFi was also ok, but it is a lot better the closer you sit to the main reception or outside in the garden at the bar. There is also a pool - very welcome when you consider the Zambian heat. They were busy fixing up the pool during my visit, so di not get to use it.
The water pressure however was dismal and the temperature not consistent. There was one morning without any hot water and the other 4 the pressure was affected hugely by other users, from a slid spray to a few drops all within a few minutes.
I arrived on a Sunday and the only meals available were the buffet - for both lunch and dinner. Considering the food was basically the same for both meals and it cost around $18 per meal it is a pity there are no alternative menu options on a Sunday. I did order food twice in the week, but it was not fantastic. However - breakfast is very good for Kitwe and the hotel packed me a lunch the one day that was also very good. The bar was good and service quick, with abeer costing about $1-$2. All in all not a bad place and worth another visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear vos007. Thank you so much for taking the time to review our lodge. I am sorry about the water pressure issues and lack of a'la carte on a Sunday. This is due to the fact that on Sundays, the kitchen is closed for the weekly spring cleaning and scrubbing of walls . Food preparation is virtually impossible. That is why we have the barbeque with chicken, saugages and hog roast plus a selection of salads and vegetables.The water pressure was caused by a block from the borehole supply which was rectified the same day. We hope that we will have you stay with us again. Thank you.

Lorraine B

Been to Sherbourne Guest House? Share your experiences!