“Horrible stay! What a dump!” 1 of 5 stars

Hostal Tena Naui
Via las Antenas, Tena, Ecuador   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Tena B&B and Inns
Cologne, Germany
“Horrible stay! What a dump!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I don't always prefer small dosshouses, but this time its seems they just messed with me. The prices they told me (before I decided to stay) were different (cheaper) than the exhausted prices they came up with when I had to pay.
I would recommend to negociate the prices and pay imediately.
But keep in mind: the showers are cold, the rooms are big but dusty and dirty. The beds are old and used and the interior has seen better days. The staff is grousy and tends to racist comments. The atmosphere (after complaining about all those deplorable states of affairs) was so tensed that I just couldn't stand it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cusco, Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

To be honest Tena is not the nicest City we visited sofar in our Trip. So we where glad, that we found that nice quiet hostel to stay. Prices are good, breakfast ist cheap and really good. The view from the terrasse is great and the owners are very kind. I can`t agree on the bad reviews about that place at all, everything is clean and tidy. We did a three day tour with them in the jungle and it was really great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hostal_Tena_Naui, Geschäftsführer at Hostal Tena Naui, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for your review, we felt fine that you've been satisfied in our hostel and in our jungle cabins,

have a nice trip,

Team Hostal Tena Ñaui
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

The headline tells my first impression of the Tena Naui. I was tired when I got to this tiny mountain village called Tena. I was just looking for a quiet place to sleep and a girl at the terminal told me she was volunteering there and that the rooms are quite nice. So I took the 10 Minutes Taxi drive to the top of a mountain and checked in. The hotel is middle expensive but the rooms are large. The staff gave me a room in the second storey and I fell asleep immediately. When I woke up at about 5 (because a little child was screaming in the nearby staff room) I had this smell of used rubber in my nose. I checked the pillow and found the leftovers of the former clients. I was way to ashamed to tell the staff about it, so I put the pillow with all its content back where I found it and called a cab at 7. I can't say so much about bathrooms or kitchen. I don't even know if the offer a kitchen but I was quite happy to escape this strange smell of rubber.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
powerman250, Geschäftsführer at Hostal Tena Naui, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Hi there again, the same mobber like in april/ may/ june, this time a very nice joke "we have the intention about surprising our clients with condoms in the pillow", how do you know exactly about the child? Very strange, what will be your next name my german student?
Trondheim, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Well, well, this is the second time I write this... but I'd like to write it again, because I was humiliated by the owers once when me and my friend were "guests" in aforesaid hostel and again via e-mail when I wrote my honest opinion.
The owners are very-very-very keen to erase every critical opinion on this forum not without humiliating their former customers.
Here is my opinion (second time):

Service: Less than half-hearted, the german guy tries, the ecuadorians don't even try. I have never been treated that rude.

Value: The prices have been increased. It is not "cheap" but "average".

Sleep Quality: Depends on how many children clean or scream or enter in your room if you don't lock the door.

Cleanliness: My dad was an alcoholic, he lived in a run-down apartment, but I must admit, his bathroom didn't have a such strong smell of urine than the one I had in "Tena Ñaui".

Location: Somewhere out of town in the ghetto on the hills surrounding Tena.

Rooms: Big and with big windows, but the beds smell like mould.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
powerman250, Geschäftsführer at Hostal Tena Naui, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
This is the same cyber mobber like in march and april 2013. Its a kind of stalking. We know that a german student using this platform with different false identities to make damage to our stuff and to the people of the rainforest. Thank god that 99,9% of the germas a very nice and kind people. The person who is behind all these strong insults to us should think about it. Our message to our german friend is "close you eyes, clear your heart and let it go".
Charlottetown, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

During our check-in at Tena Nawi, we mentioned to Robbie that we would be heading to Papallacta after a few days in the Tena area. He then gave us the bad news that there was a bridge out near Baeza, and the only way to drive to Papallacta would be the long way around via Ambato and Quito. This threw a wrench into our plans, but Robbie went out of his way to help us book alternate accommodations in lieu of staying at Papallacta. We don't speak Spanish, so this was an enormous help to us. In addition to this, at one point when we asked for him to call us a taxi so we could head into town, instead he offered to drive us himself as he was heading that way. We had a very large, clean room at Tena Nawi and we were treated to a spectacular thunderstorm during our night there. Tena Nawi has a great view over the town of Tena from a hill just outside of the town so we had an excellent vantage point to watch the storm. By morning, the weather had cleared and we were treated to a very nice breakfast that was included in the rate. The water in the shower was a little on the cool side but this was only a minor inconvenience that was far outweighed by hospitality we received. I'm not sure if there is any better value in Tena than Tena Nawi.

• Stayed March 2013

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hostal_Tena_Naui, Manager at Hostal Tena Naui, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for staying in our hostel, we're happy, that you felt fine in our hostel, we wish you a good trip, enyoing this beautiful state of Ecuador.

Bischofszell, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I spent two nights here on the recommendation of a friend. The rooms are clean so ist the rest of the house. only the bathroom could use a bit more charm. The hosts are friendly as well as the owner, when he is in the country. You get an insight in thier forest work and get to know the jungle from close. not a place for luxury freaks but a great place to enjoy the country from the cheap side.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hostal_Tena_Naui, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Hostal Tena Naui, responded to this review, April 18, 2013

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We are an Australian couple and we stayed here for 4 nights in January 2013. The rooms were huge, the house was big, clean, light-filled and very homely. Jens (the owner) and Robbie (the manager) were so helpful with anything we needed. I got sick while I was here and they even drove me into town to go to the doctor and made me a soup for free to help me recover. It feels like staying in someone's home, not a hotel. I would highly recommend it.
The breakfast cooked by Robbies' wife is huge and so delicious (she used to work in a breakfast restaurant). They can also arrange tours for you although the guides are not super experienced or that great (although I think this is true for most guides in Tena, not just at Tena Nawi). However, Jens will give you maps and directions for you to do lots of things by yourself (such as go to other towns nearby to go tubing) which is very helpful. Thanks so much Tena Nawi for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in the room called 'Naui' and it was huge! Had a double and single bed and a big b...