I recently spent 11 days at the Meitetsu Inn Kariya while on a business trip, and found the hotel to be clean and modern, the staff to be friendly and helpful, but the rooms to be quite small, even by Japanese standards. The following are points that I noted during my stay:
• Very reasonable rates – JPY 56000 for 10 nights for the Standard Single room.
• Very clean and modern rooms and building.
• Convenient location. Connected to Kariya Train Station. Number of stores and restaurants within walking distance. Two restaurants and a coffee shop located in the building, and a 24 hour Family Mart next door.
• Breakfast provided each morning from 6:30 – 9:30 (including weekends). Food selection does not vary: various rolls (fresh daily), jams, good choice of coffees, 3 types of yogurt, potato salad, hot dogs, and minestrone, onion and cream of corn soup. You can have breakfast and then lunch! Only water to drink. No juice or milk (both available in a vending machine, however).
• Wired internet connection in each room, and two internet stations available 24/7 in the lobby.
• The front desk people all seem to understand at least a little bit of English. I was able to get by with my 10 phrases of Japanese and my Japanese Phrase Book.
• SMALL rooms, yes, even by Japanese standards. I had the smallest of the 4 types of rooms (Standard Single), and the only space I had to lay my suitcase flat was in the corridor between the room door, bathroom door, desk, and “closet”. If I left the suitcase open, I could not open either door. In the room itself, there was 1 ½ foot of space between the bed and desk (no space for a chair) and 10 inches between the bed and the window. I felt very confined each evening. By the end of my 10 night stay, I had no more room for my clothes, except to start stuffing my suitcase with dirty clothes again, as the closet can only hold 4 hangers, and there is precious little space besides.
• Can hear trains go by at night. May be a problem for light sleepers, but with my room being on the 10th floor, it was not an issue for me.
• Cannot make toll-free call from hotel phone, so I could not use my international phone card from my room. I had to get dressed, and walk outside to use it from the phone booth – which also cost a rate 4 times higher than when using a land line. The hotel has a prepaid calling card system, but the rates are quite high (about 45 JPY per minute to the US if calling after 11pm).
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.