“Charming and adictive!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
hamilton
“Charming and adictive!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Moranda is the face of the Traverna...Maximo is the genius chef! Of course Mama (Maximo's) is in the background ensuring all is well. The menu is diverse, ensuring every taste can be well satisfied. Personally my favorite was the Paperdelle with Lamb ragu.....so good I had it twice. My husband and I stumbled upon the trattoria at lunch, returned there for 3 more dinners....and we were in Monticchiello for 6 days...that says alot for the cuisine. The atmosphere is quaint and comfortable. You have privacy and also feel welcome to talk to other guests at other tables. Moranda is a gem, please follow here advice; as she wants you to have the best dining experience as possible. Her knowledge of meal parings is, in my opinion, great. We felt so sorry to be leaving the area, as I can truly say that in the three trips and 8 weeks we have spent in Italy...this was one of the best taverna's we have been fortunate enough to eat in. Yes the steak Florentine is wonderful, but please try as many dishes as you can; you will be hard pressed to eat this well anywhere!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

80% Recommend
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Always a pleasure to return and see what is on the menu!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We have been coming to the taverna in all seasons for several years the food has always been consistently delicious with creative cooking.
It is a shame there is no outside area for summer meals but the cool atmosphere away from the sun is most welcome. In winter it is especially delightful. The service and use of seasonal foods is exceptional.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“I've never smiled so much or been so relaxed in a restaurant before”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I cannot praise this place enough. Of course, the food was amazing- our truffle and ricotta tortelli and sirloin steaks were top quality and served in generous portions, and we could mop up our plates due to a supply of fresh Tuscan-style bread that was topped up throughout the entire meal. The thing I will never forget, though, was the cheesecake, which was so delicious that I had cravings for the rest of the holiday.
When the wonderful food is combined with relaxed and friendly, but attentive and professional service, as well as a homely feel achieved by rustic aesthetics and an owner/waitress who takes time to have a proper chat with her customers, you get a place that stays in your memory.
Amazing, in other words. Simply amazing.

• Visited July 2012
Hutto, Texas, United States
“A Jem in the Heart of Monticchiello”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Taverna di Moranda is not to be missed !! My mother & I recently returned from a wonderful 10-day Tuscan vacation & our home base was Monticchiello!!!! Not only did we completely luck out to have selected Monticchiello but we were truly fortunate that we found three amazing ristorantes to choose from! We tried them all but returned to two...Taverna di Moranda was one of them (La Cantina was the other)! The food was amazing...all of it from the antipasti (liver pate was to die for) to the steak with red wine sauce, which I ordered both times b/c it was delicious, to the most amazing cheesecake ever!!!!! My mother was more adventurous & ordered the duck one night & it was amazing! The owner & his wife were very gracious, but the star of the show is the owners mother, who comes to work with him daily & was so sweet & talkative even though neither of us spoke the same language! Many visitors come to Monticchiello & La Porta Ristorante for the views, & don't get me wrong, the food is good there too, but DON'T miss out on Taverna di Moranda!!! They may not have the view of the Val d'Orcia, but what they lack in an outdoor view, they make up for in the quaintness of the ristorantes interior!!!

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Cozy, welcoming, with outstanding food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012 via mobile

My husband, 3-year-old son, and I had dinner here a few nights ago and had a thoroughly wonderful time. We've been travelling in Northern Italy for nearly 3 weeks and are tiring a bit of meals out with somewhat similar menus. Our experience here stood out both in terms of the quality of the food and the genuine warmth of the service. The owner (?) was congenial and spoke excellent English, but we were even more charmed by his mother, who showered our son with affection and special treats throughout the meal, chattering away in animated Italian and putting up with our limited understanding. She was a delight. The food we had was top-notch, simple yet tasty, with fresh ingredients and terrific combinations. My main course was pork medallions with baked apple and my husband had steak with balsamic vinegar. We kicked off the meal with home-made pasta with cream and leeks, which was excellent, and also had a side salad of ultra fresh greens with goat cheese and bacon. We topped everything off with dessert--a chocolate souffle-style little cake and apple tart--as well as, of course, espresso. I found the food straightforward and unpretentious but still a step above most of the traditional trattoria fare we've had elsewhere. This was our favorite meal of the trip. Go!