“Little Gem!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Old School Keele

The Old School Keele
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Keele
The Old School Keele
You added The Old School Keele to your Saves list
Church Bank, Keele, Newcastle-under-Lyme ST5 5AT, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Keele B&B and Inns
Waterlooville, United Kingdom
“Little Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed here overnight whilst on business just down the road. Val's warm welcome was matched by the comfort of my bedroom and its large well-equipped immaculaetly clean en-suite. The big walk-in shower was exceptonally good. Toiletries were all supplied with bath sheet, hand towel and face flannel all neatly laid out on the rail. The bedroom was well equpped with flatscreen TV and writing table and chair. I was able to plug my laptop in easliy and Val gave me the code for the free WiFi (it's in the handbook too) as she showed me around. You wouldn't want hot drink making facilities in your bedroom as a fantastic selection of teas and coffees are all laid out in the dining room and are available 24/7. I wanted somewhere to eat dinner and Val recommended the Sneyd Arms opposite for honest to goodness pub-grub. And it meant I could have a beer first of all and then a glass of red as it literally was a stone's throw away. Val wasn't exaggerating when she said it was popular with the locals - it was packed. Be warned -Tuesday night is curry night (2 curries for £6 inc naan and mango chutney) and that is really enticing for the Keele Uni undergrads. I went for rib-eye with the usual trimmings which was served quickly and very good - just how I asked for it to be cooked too. The pub was much quieter by the time I left and crossed the road back to The Old School. A coffee from the dining room which I took upstairs to my room, a bit of emailing and into a lovely comfortable bed. Woke up only when my alarm went off, showered, dressed and down to a fabulous breakfast which didn't want for anything. The choice was wide and varied from croissants and fresh fruit to full English and toast and marmalade. When I joined my colleagues for work that morning, some of them had paid £24 more than I had to stay in a chain-hotel with corridor doors opening and closing until the early hours. They now know where to stay next time. Check out Val's B&B - it really is "old-school" hospitality at its best.

Room Tip: Go for the double with the en-suite - excellent value.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Stayed at The Old School for one night in September 2012 as I was attending a dear friends wedding at the Uni.

I travelled alone, which is rare for me, and not something I particularly enjoy. However Val made me feel so welcome, it never felt like an issue. I had the red room, with the separate but private bathroom across the hall. This was fine, as I had so much space to get ready and the bed was RIDICULOUSLY comfy :)

Breakfast was a real highlight, and the nespresso machine in the dining room is much appreciated. When I commented on somebody else having a Staffordshire oatcake at breakfast, Val was more than happy to bring me one out, despite having already finished cooking mine. All this for 45 single, what a bargain!

Can't wait to go back and take my husband sometime. The old School is a real credit and so worthy of such high praise.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights in August and this is the best B&B I have ever stayed in. We stayed in the double room, which was really nice and roomy. The room was lovely and clean and the breakfast was outstanding. Really would recommend the Staffordshire oatcake!

Val who runs the B&B was lovely and really helpful throughout the weekend.

The location was ideal being only a 10 minute walk from Keele university. Easy to get to as well as the 25 bus stops right outside the B&B. There is also a pub just across the road which serves excellent food and drink.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I had the good fortune at staying at this B&B for four nights during my son's visit to Keele University for a soccer tournament. The room I stayed in was large and comfortable. While the bathroom was across the hall, it was large and private. Everything was kept immaculately clean and the facilities were modern.
Val was an excellent hostess. The breakfast was large and excellent. I asked Val if she minded letting my 13 year old son come to breakfast one morning and she not only agreed but had a place set him for at the table the next morning. Val also allowed me to attach my computer to the television in the dining room/study.
The pub across the street was an added plus, as they were very friendly and served good food. I highly recommend the Old School to anyone coming to this area. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: There are only two rooms. I never saw the other bedroom. The room I was in faced the street where th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Rainy North of England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here following a friends wedding and it was absolutely perfect. The rooms are lovely and cosy, absolutely spotless and our bed was really comfortable. Breakfast was fantastic - more than we could eat. Val, the owner, is hospitable and really helpful. This is one of the best B&Bs I've ever stayed in.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

We've booked this B&B 2 nights before, asked to arrive late in the evening as we just used it as a stop on our way to Lake District. There was no problem in arriving late and we could park our car within the "school's" car park. Val is very friendly and our room was very neat, comfortable and had a nice bathroom. Our breakfast in the morning was copious , all fresh (excellent mushroom), strawberries, nespresso,.... wow! I would ilk to thank Val again for our wonderful stay. This is a superb B&B! We'll be back , but for longer this time :-)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Portishead, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Only booked for one night but thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Nothing was too much trouble for Val and she made us feel very welcome, especially as we asked if we could have breakfast a little earlier for our little daughter! The room was warm, clean and cosy and our private bathroom was nice and clean also. There was lots of choice for breakfast and the nespresso coffee machine was excellent. The house is set in idyllic village surroundings and couldn't be nicer. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Old School Keele? Share your experiences!