“Good service poor food” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Ivy House

and 1 more site!
You added The Ivy House to your Saves list
The Ivy House
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   London Rd, Chalfont St. Giles HP8 4RS , England   |
“Good service poor food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Last night we went to the ivy house in chalfont at giles because there was no availability at Gilbys in Amersham. We had heard great stuff about the ivy house, so thought it would be perfect for our annual Xmas date night.

When I first entered the restaurant I found it to be a lovely place and the staff were very warm and friendly. We ordered the antipasti whilst we decided on our mains and to be fair that dish was great value for money. But the menu on a whole was boring, there wasn't anything that made you feel you was on for a great night. My partner asked for the steak and I (on the advise of the staff) chose the pork belly.

This is when the night went downhill. We must have waited about an hour for our meals to come out and then, Much to my disappointment, both meats were over cooked. You could tell the quality of the meat was good, but it was let down by the cooking. We raised the issue with staff and not so much as a free drink was offered as an apology.

As for our dining in the future, we won't be considering the ivy house. Case of once bitten, twice shy

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
AlfieMolinaro, Owner at The Ivy House, responded to this review, 4 days ago
I am really gutted to read about your experience at the Ivy House as this is not the standard that we aim for and my sincere apologies for letting you both down. There is also ian issue with the way we handled the complaint on the night which I will follow up with the team as I have always adopted a policy of removing any food ordered that was not enjoyed from the bill. It is obvious that this was not done and if you would like to phone me I will willingly offer you a full refund as that is what should have happened. I understand that you do not wish to return but should you wish to give us an opportunity to put things right I would be more than happy to invite you as our guests for a meal. My sincere apologies.

Alfie.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
high wycombe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We took 22 staff and volunteers to the Ivy House for lunch on 9th December and we had a brilliant time.
We had the restaurant all to ourselves. Infact the Ivy House did not book in any other large parties on the day so they could ensure an exceptional service and they delivered!
The food was sublime, my roast turkey was gorgeous and plenty of it! If their Christmas lunch is anything to go by, Sunday roast at The Ivy House is a must! Starters and mains were creative and amble and everyone felt very satisfied at the end of the meal.
The staff were so very friendly, helpful and very accommodating and it was great to learn that this is a family effort with son in the kitchen and father and daughter front of house.

We are a small charity which really relies on volunteers to support our work and we see our Christmas lunch as an important way of saying thank you. Many of our loyal volunteers have commented that this has been the best Christmas lunch we have organised.

We will definitely be booking again next year, and early as we suspect The Ivy House's growing reputation will make it a very popular venue for Christmas parties!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
AlfieMolinaro, Owner at The Ivy House, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thnak you for taking the time to give us a WOW!!! it is really kind of you and the whole appreciates it. Happy Christmas to you all and a fantastic New Year.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Just returned home after two very pleasant nights here. Warm welcome from friendly staff on arrival. I would agree with the other reviews that the rooms aren't huge. But they are plenty large enough for a couple of nights, perhaps smaller than you would get in a chain hotel, but they have tonnes of character.
We dined in the bar on the first night, the selection wasn't huge, but it meant that the quality was high. Everything home made and cooked fresh to order and served by friendly staff.
Breakfast in the morning was yummy.
All in all a great little find. As per the previous reviews, it's not perfect, but very much a work in progress, but it would seem that for each of the comments made by previous reviewers, the staff have taken them on board and acted upon them. Definitely worth considering if you are in the area either as a place to stay or a great place to eat.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
AlfieMolinaro, Owner at The Ivy House, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thak you for your positive review about your stay at the Ivy House it is very kind of you to take the time to write. The whole team appreciates the commnets and it definately helps during this busy festive season. Have a Happy Christmas and a great New Year.

Okehampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2014

I stayed for 1 night and am disappointed that my experience does not seem to have been the same as other recent visitors. my room was small and as it was overlooking the car park, there was some noise disturbance. The room was a little basic. The toilet seat was held up by a big lump of white tac and the shower tray was dirty (tide marks and grainy stains). I was not prepared to clean it so did not have a shower.

Then there was the toilet. It made a clicking sound for hours in the night - in the end I had to try to fix it myself.

Breakfast - I asked for toast and received a piece of thin white bread. I had been expecting fresh maybe locally made bread.

I did mention all of this to the staff before I left. i will not stay here again on business.

I have given it average as it was low cost and I suppose on this basis my expectations should have been lower. Good thing was that I was offered a free coffee when I arrived late evening after a difficult journey.

Room Tip: not overlooking road or car park
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
AlfieMolinaro, Owner at The Ivy House, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Thank you for your feedback and I do apologise for all the issues you found. I have no excuses but can assure you that what can be actioned will be.

1. The Fairways room is usually the quietest as it is away from the road so if you could give me a call or drop me an e-mail it will help me to understand where the noise came from.
2. The white tac for the toilet seat was placed there as the seat was recently replaced but with a self closing one which was not working as well as it should.....especially when male guests used the bath room. This is being replaced.
3. No excuses about the shower tray which is marked with lime scale. All shower trays are in the process of being descaled.
4. the cistern has been changed as the noise was due to water leaking through the gasket.
5. Good point about the toast which was presliced and we will change.

Once again my apologies but thank you for your comments which will be used to help us improve. If you would like to contact me please do and perhaps you would be prepared to visit us as our guest to see what action we have taken.

Chelmsford, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2014

We stayed for two nights and the rooms are a bit on the small side it was in keeping with a buiolding of this age. The room was very comfortable with everything we required and the new owner and all of hhis staff we excelent. The new chefs certainly know there buisness as the food was superb. We had breakfast (which was included in the room price) and also dinned there at lunch time.If Iwe are in the area again and need to stay at a hotel this is the very top of my llist and would recommend to anyone else to do the same as you just wont find better. I have stayed in many hotels throught the world and this was ojne of the best for freindly staff and food.

Room Tip: The are only 4 rooms and all are very good
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Watford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2014

As the last reviewer noted The Ivy House is now under new management as of 5 weeks ago. We visited on the first weekend they took over and again last weekend. They are working really hard to put the character back into this wonderful pub and succeeding brilliantly. Staff are warm and friendly, decor is being changed to be far warmer and in keeping with the style of the building, Food was really very good and the service was caring and consistent and very nice.

Having visited this pub regularly until it's last managers wrecked it, I am delighted to add this pub back into our regular haunts. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
AlfieMolinaro, Owner at The Ivy House, responded to this review, October 12, 2014
YEs it is early days for us so a big thank you for cheering us on...we need it. We are still painiting and addings bits and pieces but most importantly iit is imporatnt that we are consistent and looking to improve contnuously. Thank you for your comments it makes it all more worthwhile. Yours sincerely Alfie
St Ives, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2014

A small but perfectly formed Pub/Restaurant with rooms. We stayed here by chance as we needed to be in the area at short notice and all our preferred Hotels were full. It turns out this was a real piece of luck as we have now discovered what will in future be our first choice !!! From the moment we arrived until the moment we departed our stay was a joy. The new owners who took over just 2 weeks ago have already transformed the place and they have brought a professional touch with that secret ingredient called HOSPITALITY . Great food good beer fine wine wonderful service and spotlessly clean. The bedrooms are small but fine for a night or two the road outside can be noisy but soon forgotten the gardens are a delight and there is no doubt given more time the new owners will continue their changes and the bedrooms will get some TLC. Good value for this area and all in all somewhere locals will soon discover and fill. We do hope they will have availability next time we visit the area but we suspect they will be full suggest you book now while you can !!!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
My apologies for taking so long to reply but I am now up and registered on Tripadvisor to do so. Thank you for your encouraging comments. We know that the rooms are important to us and that we have much to do to achieve what we have set out to achieve. It is very kind of you to support us and we will do our best to keep improving. Yours sincerely Alfie

Been to The Ivy House? Share your experiences!