“Really enjoyed our stay - would book again” 4 of 5 stars

You added The White Hart Inn to your Saves list
The White Hart Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   Three Households, Chalfont St. Giles HP8 4LP, England   |
Surrey, UK
“Really enjoyed our stay - would book again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

Our stay was booked for us by someone organising an event nearby so we thought we'd check out the accommodation on tripadvisor. Having read earlier reviews we tried to cancel by phone! But we were too late ... and, actually, we're pleased now that we were. During our call we were told the establishment was under new management, new beds had been purchased etc so we 'risked' it. We had room 6, in the separate building to the rear. Our room was great - huge, spacious, clean. The bed, an enormous super-king, was so comfortable I stripped it back the next morning to see the manufacturer's name! The bed linen and duvet were cool and comfortable. There was even an iron and ironingboard in the wardrobe. Our bathroom was huge also. Breakfast was a delight. Served in the comfortable and modern main building there was a selection of fully prepared fresh fruit, cereals galore, yogurts, fruit juices and a full menu of delicious cooked items. My poached eggs were perfectly cooked and served with wholegrain toast.
There were a couple of downsides that can easily be rectified. The shelf on the bathroom wall was loose. The toilet lid would not stay upright (caused a lot of hilarity!). And the spare pillows in the wardrobe did not have pillow cases. The bedside lamp kept flickering but I discovered it was brand new and the wiring card was still over the plug preventing full contact with the power so I rectified that myself! I can't comment on other rooms, of course, but we thought this was great value.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

95 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
South Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

I was very worried after reading the earlier reviews but we were very pleasantly surprised. We had a twin room in the modern building at the back, away from the car park. The accommodation has just been completely refurbished and was clean, bright and spacious not ultra modern but very comfortable with two arm chairs and two other chairs. There was a large bathroom with a full sized bath. It was very quiet and we thought we must be the only people staying until we went in to breakfast. Breakfast was excellent with a great choice of hot dishes cooked to order and thick toast. The staff were great. Only complaint no tissues.
We did not eat any main meals as we were visiting family.
We will certainly stay there again

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
holybud
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

wow wot an exeperiance all for the wrong reasons where do i start well the accomdation is really out dated looks really old and is crumbling away although they were renovating the rooms nxt door with constant drilling which added to my long list of problems the food is is terrible i had to send a burger back 3 times because first it was cold then was burnt then it cam out nearly mooing on my plate also there were other problems with my friends food the wait was ridiculous and the managers are a joke running around with there staff not knowing wot the hell is going on i found it to b a really chaotic enviroment to be in and would definatley not recommend to anyone ovrall 0/10 for everything ps we had chips from chip shop nxt door very nice indeed

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Chalfont St. Giles hotels

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

I last stayed here 5 or 6 years ago and it was excellent then. Sadly much has changed - the restaurant has enlarged and is much "posher" but the quality of the food in no way matches the prices! My colleague chose the steak which you'd expect to be pretty special at £24.50. It wasn't. My lamb shank was nondescript and salty. I've had better in a Wetherspoons for £8 instead of the £18 charged here. The wine list doesn't have much mid range choice. Just some "cheaper" offerings that you probably wouldn't want then a big leap to the more desirable stuff.
I'd agree with the other reviewers regarding the rooms: They're clean and comfortable but could do with a makeover. My shower had plenty of hot water but the drain didn't work too well.
My biggest complaint was the breakfast: On the plus side, the coffee was really excellent. Unfortunately the orange segments were fizzy, the bananas soggy, limited cereal choice and cheap artificial yoghurt. I made the mistake of trying a croissant which was stale and the jam was really cheap tasteless stuff. It would have been poor in a budget hotel but in an Inn which used to have a Le Routier award it was shocking.
The final straw was that the Internet access wasn't working.
I'm reluctant to damn a good pub as we need to protect them. The White Hart is a nice pub but cannot be recommended as a restaurant or Inn.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Dorset
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

We booked in for one night. The Inn itself was reasonably presentable. However, the room we were allocated was tiny with sloping ceilings everywhere and with only one bedside cabinet beside a double bed. The bathroom was very difficult for me to get into without banging my head and the "triangular" shower was impossible unless one left the door open while turning it on and then squeezing in. I asked to change rooms but was told all the others were taken, and as we were with friends had no time find elsewhere to stay. In the morning I complained and was told quite curtly that I should have warned them that I am of ABNORMAL SIZE! I am 6' 5" tall and big build but not fat, and anyway I regard that remark as extremely rude. Do not use the place if you are what they consider "abnormal size"

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

Although the decor of the room we stayed in was a bit dated, all fixtures were in good conditions, clean and well looked after. It would be fair to say that decorative features overall would benefit from updating.

Very friendly, helpful and attentive staff. Recommended.

We also ate dinner at the restaurant. The menu is ambitious and quite pricey - it clearly wants to be a restaurant and not a gastropub. Not sure if it achieved that but my partner's starter, which was a deconstructed parmigiana melanzzane, was excellent and made with the freshest tomato sauce I have tasted for a while. My braised rabbit didn't fare so well, though. However the management took on my comments cheerfully and with good grace which was good.

Our cooked breakfast was fresh and well presented. Very good.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Been to The White Hart Inn? Share your experiences!