“Not as good as it used to be.” 3 of 5 stars

You added The White Hart Inn to your Saves list
The White Hart Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   Three Households, Chalfont St. Giles HP8 4LP, England   |
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
“Not as good as it used to be.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Despite it being a cold November afternoon, there was no heating on in the wooden chalet style room. The room was large with two single beds (we had booked a double) a coffee table, two easy chairs, two dining style chairs, tea making facilities and a small wall mounted tv (intermittent Signal). The carpet was showing signs of age and there was not one picture on the walls, in the lobby area the was two unlocked cupboards, containing spare housekeeping items, plus some dirty socks and used linen. It was not a welcoming place. The bathroom heated towel rail was not on and was icy. The grout was black in places and there was mould on the skirting board, there was plenty of hot water and towels plus a dubious red coloured bottle of toiletries - label unreadable.
The bed was comfortable and the linen clean, but there was a significant blood stain on one pillow.
We did not have an evening meal, so can not comment. Breakfast was good. The staff said the right words but their heart wasn't in it. There did not appear to be effective supervisio of the hotel and its staff.
We had stayed before and had a pleasant stay so were disappointed with this visit. The hotel is so well located and reasonably priced it is a shame.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Manager at The White Hart Inn, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and comments Stuart has taken these on board and has taken time with all the team to correct the issues and make changes where required

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Chalfont St. Giles, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I took 31 diners for an evening of food (3 courses for £12.50!) and drinks. The room could have accommodated 60 diners.

The food had to be pre-ordered to help the restaurant serve us in good time. The service was friendly and efficient and the food was acceptable, given the bargain price. The overall bill at the end of the evening was very reasonable and the ability to close-off the room to the rest of the restaurant helped when we came to speeches at the end. Highly recommended for a group dinner at a budget price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to put your comments online. I am glad that Stuart and the team at White Hart Hotel looked after you and you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed here with my wife on 9 November and I have to say that the welcome was outstanding. We stayed here earlier in the year and do not remember the gentleman who checked us in and showed us to the room.
We decided to eat in the restaurant because we remembered excellent food. Unfortunately the haddock did not add to the previous memory. I always believe that a good chef skins fish and this was not.
The young man that waited on us was very helpful and charming.
We were in room number one and it was pleasant. The bed was comfortable but I could hear the people in the room above us when they moved about due to creaky floorboards.
I had a breakfast with a poached egg and it was ok but the egg could have been drained better. The waitress continued with the excellent standard.
I do like The White Hart and would not hesitate to stay here again because of the staff.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to put your comments online. I am glad that Steve and the team at George Hotel looked after you and you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon
bridgnorth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Average accommodation ,a bit noisy and needed a bit of t.l.c. improved by very helpful and attentive staff new manager obviously working hard to ensure good service its a good location for wembley and london and has a very effecient taxi firm over the road
breakfast very good

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bucks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I was also at the Wedding described below, as I was the Mother of the Groom! I agree whole- heartedly with all that was written. The whole day was so very special - a "never to be forgotten day", made possible by the caring staff and the amazing food that we were served.
You are able to tailor the Wedding Package to meet your requirements and that is exactly what we did.
As locals who often eat at The White Hart, I find it very exciting that Olde English Inns now appear to have appointed a new Manager who will push the pub/hotel to meet it's full potential and allow the staff to reach theirs too.
Having read several not such good reviews, I hope that those writers will now revisit as I feel with Stuart at the helm, things will definitely improve.
Thanks and well done to all concerned for all you did to make the Wedding Reception so special and extra special thanks to Stuart.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We held my daughter's wedding reception here, and several guests stayed overnight. The hotel wedding package is fantastic value, but the quality is worth at least twice as much !! The local florist and my daughter and friends were allowed full access the night before to decorate the venue. The area was split into two areas, the dining room and dance floor, both of which where quite large enough to accommodate all the guests. Stuart, the Manager and his staff made all of us very welcome, especially the Bride and Groom. Dinner was superb, with service running flawlessly, the meals had been pre-ordered and everyone was given the correct food. All the staff seemed to genuinely enjoy the occasion, even though they were working, and we all felt very comfortable and at ease. I cannot thank them enough for making the evening so special. All the staff worked tirelessly all evening, with a very busy bar as you can imagine !!! They were always smiling and willing to chat to the partygoers and there really was a sense that they were loving the occasion, even though they were obviously very tired by the end of the night !!! Our room was large, warm and clean and breakfast the next day was fantastic, nothing like a full fry up after partying all night !!! I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wishes to hold a special occasion.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed at the White Hart Inn on September 10 for one night. I tried to book on line and found a room for 75 Sterling on the website; however, knowing that getting a web rate sometimes the worse room is assigned, I phoned and booked the room for 20 Sterling additional (total 95 Sterling). Maybe this was the best room they have but it was still horrible. There was linen on the little lobby on the bottom of the steps from the time I got there until I checked out. The room was so dirty that I did not take my socks off during my whole stay. See pictures of the wall (stained with coffee all over). The bathroom was a shame. There was a leak going up in the shower (yes going up). I was going to tell the reception but then I realized that the leak must have been there forever as the ceiling was coming down were the water met the roof (see picture). To top it all, the staff was not kind, just the minimum. I asked how to get to Heathrow from there and the lady told me that she was too busy to help me and that she was going to drop the directions in my room, I am still waiting. Fortunately, the staff in the little library on the main road is great and they helped me. The little village is adorable but stay away of this place. When checking out I informed the reception of the status of the room and she told me that she was going to inform the housekeeping. REALLY!!! I thought, you should have informed it already, check the net to see what people think. I checked before and I thought they had taken care of the situation after so many complains but of course not.

Room Tip: My room was terrible and I paid above average, so imagine.