“Good atmosphere and lovely food.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Anderson

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fortrose
The Anderson
You added The Anderson to your Saves list
Union Street, Fortrose IV10 8TD, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fortrose
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Good atmosphere and lovely food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Yes it is a bit old fashioned and a little tatty, but the welcome is warm and the craic is good. The food we had was excellent from a large and varied menu, mostly local produce, and the wine was good too. Room was a bit cramped but the bed was comfortable and clean. It's not cheap but it was fun to stay there. I am not a whisky buff but I can imagine that it would be great if you were! And I thought Jim did a good job. Some Brits just don't like Americans, do they? I am not one of those.

Room Tip: Rooms on the main streeet are noisy in the morning.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
anderjim, Owner at The Anderson, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for the kind words about The Anderson. Re: your comment about Brits & Americans, I’m guessing that you refer to some previous TA reviews. Yeah, I’ve noticed that there’s something about anonymous Internet posting that brings out the racist in some people. You’d think that sort of talk would be filtered out, but happy stories don’t sell newspapers, do they? Hope to see you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Kirriemuir, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Nine of we golfers descended on the Anderson a few days ago. Some of our party who are used to more luxurious places were slightly aprehensive but the food - wonderful, beer --excellent, whisky-- unparalleled choice 266 at last count, atmosphere-- great soon won them over.
This is a wonderful individual place run unconventially by our host Jim.
In a increasingly bland world this is a fabulously different experience

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Just had a meal here. Not great looking from the outside but boy how you can be fooled. Superb meal, superb service, great atmosphere and great value. I can't think of a bad element. This brings the best of US orientated service to a remote venue. The whole place should be very proud. I will be back (not Ernie!) Apart from the food it has a whisky choice of over 250, over 100 beers and a wine menu that I did not explore but if you are after pie and chips with lager, probably not where you want to be but if you want great food and service at a reasonable price, go!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Walking through Fortrose with my family, my Mum was a little unsure about The Anderson from the outside but that first impression didn't last very long at all!!!

When we entered and asked about booking a table for four that evening (a Saturday, the day before Fathers Day) the friendly member of staff gave us a guided tour of the formal dining room, the 'Whiskey Bar' & the main bar (which allows dogs too!). We opted for the Whiskey Bar, which has over 240 single malt whiskeys including some from silent distillery's. They offer 120 continental beers/ lagers & usually 8 real ales!

When we arrived that evening we were greeted very warmly & shown to our table with menu's. What can I say - the food at The Anderson is 5*!!! It showcases the best of Scottish & Black Isle produce often with some interesting international twists. For starters my Mum, Twin sis & I opted for the Baked Oysters & my Dad went for the Squid with Wasabee mayo. I'm a HUGE fan of Oysters but have never had them baked & have to say they were exceptional. I had the Red Venison Fillets for my main, which I asked to be done rare, it came out perfect, lovely & tender.

As we were here for a Fathers Day meal I splashed out on a flight of three double whiseys, the Tullibardine, Glen Mhor & Craigellachie. At £34 they weren't cheap but definitely worth it! Many of the whiskey's are on the chalk board but there's also a book of tasting notes to help with what could be an overwhelming choice! Also a nice touch, the owner (whom the pub is named after) came and chatted with us about our unusual choices!

All three of the dining rooms were exceptionally busy but the amazing atmosphere, tip top staff & service couldn't be faulted.

My family & I will definitely be returning, I can't recommend this gem highly enough!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Homely, child-friendly bar, with a hot stove and a warm welcome. The real surprise is the quality of the food and the care that goes in to it.

The bar couldn't be bettered as a source of fine whiskies and ales.

Even the burgers are great.

• Stayed March 2013
Inverness, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I went out for a meal with my friends and we were really looking forward to the food and drink. We were taken to our table and given menus. I was looking forward to a good cold lager but only had ales which did not taste very nice and the wine tasted like cheep value Plonk. Us and one other table were in and very morbid music was on and let the mood of the group down. We had a look at the menu and it was solving a puzzle, we were flicking from one page to another wondering what were the mains and starters, but eventually solved this puzzle. We had starters which were really nice, mussels, yum. But the atmosphere was like being in a funeral parlour, very dark and creepy. We got our mains, service was slow and waitress was a bit snappy. The food was not great my burger was like the last burger on a BBQ that you forgot about. So just a bun, Salad and coleslaw for me. I think the owner with the beard served us and was extremely rude and made smart remarks about how everyone didn't order starters and how we were like school children and we were not allowed to share " as we should buy our own" I'm sorry but that's what people do when going out for a meal! Not everyone wants a 2/3 course meal! Nice to share! Some of us had pudding and we got cream but its aerosol cream as you can taste the difference! Once we were done we all felt depressed and were dying to leave. We finished our drinks out of manners! We never wanted to complain as we wanted to have a fun good night and not dull the mood anymore! But on the plus side we ended up in the new Allangrange Arms in Munlochy which was bouncing with crack and felt like we were at a wedding reception, not a funeral!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Inverness, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

to start you are greeted by flaking paint and dreery windows a very unclean exterior, on entering a dated interior, whisky selection plenty ales and beers great! quantity over quality for the place the food yes its award winning but when you pop in the ''pub" your occasionaly greeted by a man with a beard who would be better off in an office. no people skills and upon speaking to a member of staff in the local shop we found out it was the owner/manager by the name jim, tip for you jim seek alternative employment! will maybe return if we hear that is the case no vision and a very closed mind, plenty more choice just along the road...

• Stayed February 2013

Been to The Anderson? Share your experiences!