“Best food I*ve eaten all year” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Restaurants in Fortrose
Cuisines: International, Pub
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Best food I*ve eaten all year”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Turbot & scallops was really delicious. Eat so slowly to thoroughly savour it. Stopped in the cooling quriky Anderson bar on mens semi finals day after a sun drenching walk from Rosemarkie along the beach. Great ales - had a strawberry imbued one, friendly staff, nice crowd in the pub, super meal & as we all know Andy came thru against Verdasco. Will use the Cromarty-Nigg ferrry when coming back from further north east now to be sure to stop off for another evening meal.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“People make a difference”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

This is unusual went to eat with friends tonight. Quaint and quirky place with a really nice homely atmosphere. Had a bit of banter with as he stated " the boses husband" from Philadelphia originally no less. Ordered our meal and immediately felt ill. Not the places fault I must add. When the meal arrived, which my friends said was excellent I couldn't face it. We were happy to pay for the meal but our man from Philly would have none of. Your are a gentleman Sir and we will back.
Your place and staff were a pleasure to experience.

• Visited August 2013
Moffat, United Kingdom
“OK but nothing outstanding”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We visited The Anderson whilst holidaying in the area. We found the food a little tough (mussels ultra slimey chewy and the lamb not really falling of the bone as you would expect from a lamb shank recipe, it seemed almost slimey as well. Maybe I chose the wrong courses but it just did not meet my expectations which are really not that high. I was also somewhat upset to be charged for vegetables because I asked for some, otherwise my meal would of amounted to a lump of garlic mashed potato with a lamb shank sat on top and a little red wine sauce poured over it. Not what I would call a balanced meal at all. The owner was very friendly and came to chat and the staff falling over themselves to be super helpful but it does not make up for the lack of a complete, well cooked meal really. We did not bother with deserts. This was also quite expensive compared to others locally and the food they will supply you for less. Maybe they should visit some other restaurants in the area as this may help them to see what is missing. It is also just a little too dark in there.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
anderjim, Owner at The Anderson, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your review of The Anderson. It is always a joy to have an informed assessment of our restaurant from someone so connected with food quality and a gift for putting this knowledge into words. I do appreciate the advice, too, that I should visit some of the other restaurants in the area -- I never thought of that! A note to TA readers: I understand that poor oral hygiene can lead to a slimy sensation in the mouth, and The Anderson cannot be responsible for any pre-existing conditions our customers bring with them. A word to TA readers on vegetables at The Anderson: we love food, and consequently we hate to throw perfectly good food in the bin. When we used to include vegetables with every meal, we binned more than half of them. We then decided to lower our prices and state clearly on the menu that vegetables could be ordered as a supplement, which has reduced our vegetable waste by more than 70%. I am happy that you were pleased that both my staff and I were appreciated for the time we spent with your party, but I'm also vexed that you did not raise your concerns at the time. A word to TA readers about Smiling Assassins: In the Old Days, customer complaints were taken up with Management at the time of the problem, and a mutually-satisfying resolution would be sought. Guests who are given the opportunity to resolve complaints yet do not do so in favour of writing negative commentary anonymously on Internet review sites are effectively lying to the establishment. This behaviour is a serious step backward for human relations and should be carefully considered before leaving the establishment or clicking the Send button.
“Like nowhere else!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I have been so many times and keep going back as it is so friendly and like how the food is not typical pub grub.we always feel so welcome and appreciated and food is outstanding never had a disapointing meal there.service is quick and we never have to wait long for our next course.the range of drinks is fantastic and theres always something new to try also a very good and wide collection of whiskies.

• Visited June 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A drinker's gem and pretty good tuck too.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

The Anderson was one of the most surprising of places. From the outside, and also a quick scan of the main dining room, you could sense the fading seaside Victorian hotel that it must once have been and expect Basil Fawlty to appear from behind reception.

On proceeding through to the whisky bar a sense of a more amenable establishment comes across, a nicely appointed bistro kind of feel. Then you turn to the bar and survey the outstanding blackboard of whiskys available, literally hundreds; the beers on tap - good ales foreign and domestic as well as some German and Belgian wheats and fruits and you start to get the idea that this is not a Tennants and Stella kind of a place.

Basil turns out to be American "Well you look confused" he drawls, a swift confession that this isn't, indeed, what I expected seemed, for now, to get me off the hook. A pint of Veddet hits the spot and feeling a bit peckish we order burgers - cooked to your liking (rare thanks), and simply handmade they were too, the meat nice and loose and squishy, a Weinstephan wasn't really needed to wash it down but why the hell not. Bloody lovely.

• Visited July 2013