“Service was the crowning jewel” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Whitby, Canada
“Service was the crowning jewel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The service was most noteworthy! Our company had a number of dietary restrictions that were well investigated by our server. She was friendly and very accommodating. The menu was limited for a vegan, but I was able to have the 'hearty plate of onion rings'. I will happily go back here next time in Brighton for a pint and a snack. I'm sure a non-vegan would be easily satisfied by their present menu selections.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Trenton, Ontario
“Good Meal But Don't Be In A Hurry”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I'd heard good things about The Smokehouse from others who had eaten there so since our group was planning to be in Brighton we decided to make a reservation and try it out. It was a busy little place on a Friday night and the only table there when we arrived was ours. Glad we reserved ahead as others had to wait.

I started with a Garden Salad which was nice and fresh and a generous size. My entree was the half-chicken and it was pretty tasty. Kinda hard to screw up chicken. My only issue was that there didn't seem to be a whole lot of meat on my bird. But the BBQ sauce was tasty and it was cooked perfectly. A few more fries would have been nice and there was no vegetable served with the meal. I'm not a big veggie fan anyway so I wasn't upset by this however others might be.

Everyone else seemed to enjoy their meals as well which ranged from Ribs to Stir Fry to Fish & Chips. The one complaint I heard from our group was that the meals were not all delivered at the same time. One person in our group had her food at least five minutes ahead of the rest of us and she wouldn't eat until we all had our food.

Service was a bit slow but they were busy. 90+ minutes for a meal there is a bit much as far as I'm concerned when most places we go to in the area you can be in and out in under an hour unless you make a point of taking your time. Should be an hour tops but I'm sure every group is different. The server we had was very friendly and not annoyingly so like some can be. Nothing I hate more when I'm dining out than a server who thinks she's funny and isn't, cracks horrible jokes or tries to talk too much. Be attentive but not in my face or a part of the conversation. Again, that's just how I feel. Others may like that sort of thing.

My one other issue was the size of the table. Eight of us at a narrow table for six makes for a cramped space. We made it work but it was a tight squeeze getting everything on the table.

I will go definitely go back again though and try more items on the menu. I would gladly recommend this place to others based on this experience. The food was good and that's the most important thing with any restaurant. If they keep getting that right, they'll do fine in that location.

• Visited June 2013
Pickering, Canada
“Very Good, Hoping For An Expanded Menu In The Future”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Heard about this place from a family member and was not disappointed. The food was very good and the prices are very reasonable.
If I remember correctly, the only offered smoked food is pork and chicken, which is absolutely wonderful... but was really hoping for maybe a beef brisket meal or sandwich on the menu. The place I think is relatively new, so maybe they will expand their menu in the future. The sides were great, including the fries, soups and salads. The kids menus is pretty well stocked too.
The outdoor patio was not open yet, but it looks like it will be a pretty popular spot once it opens. The only criticism about the decor, was the size of the booths. They could fit four, but if you have another person join the group, it becomes rather crowded quickly with everything on the table.
There wasn't anything that would negate a return visit so if you live in the area, or you're just passing through, check this place out if you can.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Durham, Canada
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The whole visit was wonderful, loved the food, the service, the atmosphere, the prices. Everything was just right. Look forward to returning.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Nice people Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The food is quite good and the people/staff are wonderful. Wings and ribs are best. I would totally recommend this restaurant for a pub style meal!

• Visited March 2013