“A great weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Assago
Bolton, United Kingdom
“A great weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

A fabulous hotel, food was excellent, the rooms were spacious and clean and very well decorated. The staff were friendly and willing to help and spoke better English than my Italian and were happy to talk to us about the Grand Prix the bar was well stocked, though the Peroni was a bit expensive! Lovely grounds to relax and enjoy the weather, all in all a wonderful experience. Can't wait to go back

Room Tip: No issues with any of the rooms from my experience, the hotel is situated in it's own grounds.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

220 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I would scale the hotel as average. It is very dated and far from central Milan. Breakfast is buffet style nothing to exciting (coffee is good, but it is italy). Staff can be a little slow at times and forget to bring items ordered or mix up your orders. (I ordered an Orange Juice and got a sparkling wine)

The major downside for me was the internet access, it is charged at 10 Eur for a day and is very slow and unreliable which while on business is a real pain!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
portland, or
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

In 2 1/2 weeks of moving around Italy, we stayed in at least 10 different hotels. The rooms here are the nicest that we experienced. What absolutely destroyed the experience was the callous indifference to customer service and the nickel and diming. We were arriving on the metro with luggage and wanted to be sure that hauling would be kept to a minimum. So I emailed the hotel a few days before we were to arrive and were told it was simple (that in itself should have been a warning): when you got off the metro, you could see the hotel. But they didn't tell me that the green line splits at the end so you can easily get on a "train" that doesn't go to the correct stop at all. Fortunately, when we boarded the green line train, I noticed that the line split and was able to get help for a local (we were on the wrong train). Anyway, I emailed the hotel back and asked which way I would turn as we left the metro startion and what we needed to do. The reply was just a terse reiteration of what they had already said: the hotel is visible from the metro and is a 5 minute walk away. Well, it turns out there are two different exits from the metro, involving significant stairs. Since most people were exiting in one direction, we did the same. Of course, that was the wrong way, which we discovered when we went into a hotel in that direction. And there are various quirks to getting to the hotel even if we'd started in the right direction in the first place. So this supposed 5 minute walk turned into almost 40, hauling about 100 pounds of luggage in the 75 degree sun. We were to leave fairly early the next morning so wouldn't be able to have the breakfast. I would imagine, from the looks of the preparations the next morning, that it's a very nice spread. When I asked whether or not something could be done since we were missing the breakfast, the best the hotel could come up with was maybe I could get a cup of coffee. Every other hotel that we've ever stayed in that provided breakfast made up box breakfasts to go if you had to leave early. Then I related the fiasco of the metro. They did the typical canned ("sorry for the inconvenience", which to me always translates into "we really don't care but we're trained to give you lip service." I once again asked if something couldn't be done. No. I suggested some offset against the cost of dinner. No. So we go to our room. The hotel was virtually vacant and yet we were given a second floor (first floor in European terms) room overlooking a virtually unlandscaped portion of the grounds. The hotel emphasizes what beautiful grounds it has, and to a great extent this is true. What I don't understand is why they gave us one of the least desirable rooms in the hotel. We needed to find a bank and got not terribly accurate instructions to one a few blocks away. After getting money, we went out to dinner at a local restaurant. Upon returning, the front desk person who checked us in said that he had talked with his assistant manager and they could give us 15% off on our dinner! So now 3 hours after the initial fact, they come up with this pittance. Oh yes, I shouldn't forget that cup of coffee. Then later, when I needed a little bit of assistance with a stapler and was talking once again with that front desk person, an Italian guest comes up, butts into the conversation, and the front desk person talks to him for a couple of minutes, ignoring me. Unbelievable. And then he has the audacity to tell me that things will be better when I next stay there. The grounds are pretty, although they only put flowers in the large urns along the driveways. Lots of ants are present in the patios and walkways outside. A few empty glasses languished on tables both outside and in. Oh yes, wifi was free in every single hotel that we stayed in throughout Italy. Not here. 5E for an hour (and the clock starts ticking when they print out your password) or 10E for a whole day. .

Room Tip: Get one overlooking the landscaped grounds.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Chamonix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Undoubtedly the best possible choice of accommodation for events at the Mediolanum Forum. There is a pedestrian entrance for the hotel which makes the walk to and from the Forum just a few minutes. The Metro station for trains to Milan is just a short further walk over the footbridge, and a little further on is a covered shopping centre.Staff are quite friendly, room was exceptionally quiet, bed comfortable, used our data plan instead of the hotel internet which really should be free. Restaurant food was quite bland, unexciting and lukewarm - we complained. Underground garage worth using even at 15 euros per night - very secure. Overall a pleasant stay despite the disappointing food, the sleep quality and location both made up for it.

Room Tip: We had a mini-suite on the 4th floor, which was a reasonable size and extremely quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Soriano nel Cimino, Lazio, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Unless you have to stay in the heart of Milan, then this should be your destination. Especially if you're going to see an event at the Mediolanum Forum just behind the hotel. Very convenient access via the Metro. Plus there's a huge shopping center on the other side of the Super-Strada that has everything. The accommodations were excellent and the staff was top-notch as well. There is a nice bar/lounge area and they had a happy hour that had a very nice spread of assorted pastas, pizzas, and other appetizers. I did not eat at the restaurant at the hotel, so I can't comment on that, however the room was open and inviting. The Metro is easy to use and gets you everywhere in Milan. The hotel is literally a 5 minute walk from the station. The even have a pedestrian access gate that the front desk can buzz you in from. Considering the costs and conditions of some of the hotels I have seen, I thought that the Royal Garden was definitely worth the extra mile...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

I stayed there for a few days due to business conference.
Hotel is located outside of Milano, which is it's disadvantage, however connection to Milano downtown with metro is excellent, Metro station is 5 minutes walk from the hotel.
Breakfast is rather poor, and needs big improvement. Because I do not eat pork- I was eating eggs for a 3 days in a row.even with pork, selection of foods is very poor.
They have nice bar in the hotel, but unfortunately during my stay it was almost always empty of guests.
Rooms have acceptable design, and cleaniness is on top level. Internet connection in my room was not so good, and dissadvantage is also that you have to take the password at the reception. Channel selection is something that really needs to be improved (only 13 or 15 channels, almost all in Italian), and TV set did not have english instructions.

Nevertheless, positive expirience from RG.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Sibenik, Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

I was looking on the internet for the accommodation nearby Mediolanum Forum at Assago, Milan for one night stay following the Roger Waters concert "The Wall". I came across this nice hotel that is conveniently (and most likely on purpose) located some 100 meters(!) from the venue itself. The hotel is modern 4* building that has got everything one might wish for the brief stay.
It was fairly priced(110 GBP BB) and it offered value for money considering the area and country. Rooms are spacious and nicely furnished, bathroom of very good standard (expected though for that level of price and category)The internet is wireless and it did not work very well in our room, but I did not want to make big fuss about it. Tv had also some problems with reception and I did not like that to much considering I was relaxing with intention to watch Wimbledon final. I don't know whether this is an inherent problem, or one off, but did not investigate further. Hotel staff has arranged a late night snack after the concert. The breakfast was of standard quality, nothing to complain. All in all, a placce to recommend if you're attending any event at Mediolanum Forum. One tip though: It is advisable to book well in advance if the major event takes place at the Forum.

Room Tip: Do not hesitate to request to change a room if TV or Net is of poor quality!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
giadamonrif, Ufficio Commerciale at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
Thank you for your review about Royal Garden Hotel.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and apologize for the problems you had with the internet connection and tv reception.

We suppose there were line problems that day, but we'll check to be sure this won't happen again.
Thank you for informing us, to give us the chance to investigate about this inefficiency.

We hope to have you again as our guest in occasion of a new event at the Mediolanum Forum, or a trip to Italy.

Best regards.

Been to Royal Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!