“Again, nice staff and good dessert” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Fox
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Arizona
“Again, nice staff and good dessert”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I stopped in here for the first time in February 2012, came by again this March to pick up another dessert to go.

Like last time, the staff was very friendly and brought out the dessert tray--I had a question regarding one of the items and they got an answer for me. I tried the Milky Way; it was delicious (looks like cheesecake but it isn't; very rich and chocolaty). They packed it up nicely and were as attentive as if I has sat down for a meal.

While waiting I enjoyed the decor and the atmosphere, and took some pictures of the pretty gift items in the curio at the end of the entrance way.

Never have made it in for a sit-down meal, but I sure enjoyed my second quick stop.

Visited March 2014

Munford, Alabama
“Great Halibut!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I ate here for dinner one night when I was in Fairbanks. It was a good little drive from Fairbanks but the food made up for it. I had the Halibut and it was delicious. The service was great and my friends said the beer was good and cold too! I highly recommend this place if you’re ever in Fairbanks. Take the time to drive there and enjoy the food!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fairbanks, Alaska
“Everything old is...well...old”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Back in the 70's, this place was a dive restaurant and bar with kitschy turtle decor and reasonably priced slabs of mid-quality, quick-cooked prime rib. We tolerated much in those days, because Fairbanks was mostly a blue-collar town with truck stop tastes and little else from which to choose. At -40, even this hovel looked inviting. Forty years later, and at least 15-20 years since my last meal there, I'm sorry to say that little has changed. The Turtle Club is still churning out the same tired fare. No, wait, it's gotten worse.
The current owners have packed tables together so tightly (especially for large parties) that a conversation held at a moderate level will surely be drowned out. The walls and floor are even dingier than before. The tableware, place mats, and chairs are also in a time warp -- straight from the local restaurant supply house but looking more like they were bought at the hardware store or school cafeteria after the ’67 flood. The bread was pre-fab styrofoam, the salad bar pedestrian and limited, and the baked potatoes pre-wrapped in foil to ensure they steamed to soggy perfection. My rare rib was tough, closer to medium, and soaked in heavily salted, packaged au jus. The horseradish was straight from a jar (probably from Sam's Club). It was served on a plate with a tired leaf of lettuce and a scary carrot chip that served no purpose but to amplify my sub-prime dining experience.
I’ll pass….again, and suggest you do the same.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Met Our Expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Four of us dined at Turtle Club specifically for the prime rib. None of us were disappointed. The meal included a salad bar, which was well-stocked, and a side. The wait for the food was typical for this area but the service was good. The prices were also typical for the area.

Visited March 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Tough and Rare”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I'm not a Prime Rib expert but you should not have to be to enjoy a good cut of meet. I ordered the "Turtle Cut" (14-16 oz") Prime Rib and requested it be cooked Medium. The meal came with the salad bar, which was the best part of the meal. Items on the salad bar were fresh. When the meal came the cut was huge! So for size they get 5 stars. But size was all that was great. My serving was tough and rare. I ate the outsides of the slab but that was all I could handle. The meet seamed to have a powerful worcestershire flavor that did not complement the rib at all. I'm not one to send things back to the kitchen...a cook should know how to prepare an order before they are allowed to send it out of the kitchen. The potato was was a bit over cooked and had been sitting for a while. The loaf of bread was cold and a bit stale. The place was packed, so it seamed like a lot of good meals were being served, but mine was a flop. No plans to return on this trip.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere