“Words can hardly describe” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. Elias Alpine Guides Day Adventures

St. Elias Alpine Guides Day Adventures
Motherlode Powerhouse, McCarthy, Wrangell-St Elias National Park and Preserve, AK 99588
+1 888-933-5427
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in McCarthy
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore Alaska's largest national park with the local experts, based in Wrangell-St. Elias since 1978. We offer half and full-day glacier hikes, ice-climbing, alpine hikes, fly-in hikes and rafting. We also feature wilderness adventures such as trekking, backpacking, rafting, skiing and mountaineering courses & expeditions. Our professional, personable guides love to share their in-depth knowledge of this magnificent wilderness!
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Words can hardly describe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We took a full day glacier hike with Ben out on the Root glacier. We were actually there the first day they offered tours and my wife and I ended up being the first ones out with Ben this year. Our own little private glacier tour! It was an amazing 8 hours. Everyone on staff was helpful and made sure we had fun and were safe. Ben took us exploring around to see blue pools and rivers and crevasses. He made sure we knew the best way to hike up and downhill in crampons and we never had a problem. It was especially fun to go at the beginning of the season because Ben our guide was also discovering what was out there for the season. He was also very knowledgeable about history, geology, and glaciology. Explaining all of the features and mechanics behind the glacier. We thoroughly enjoyed our experience and would recommend taking the full day tour so you really have time to get out there and explore.

Visited May 2013
GaiaM, Owner at St. Elias Alpine Guides Day Adventures, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
So glad you could join us on the first day of the 2013 season! Please come back again soon :)

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“EXTREME ICE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Our small group of three, traveled to McCarthy,AK in August 2012 where we retained the St. Elias Alpine guiding service to lead us into the backcountry of Wrangell/St.Elias NP. This tour was by far the most unique and varied trip we have had in recent memory. Under the capable direction of our guide, Lucas, we were fortunate to view incredible mountain scenery , experience.. wildlife, ice caves, kayaking among icebergs on Nizina Lake and multiple bush plane flights with aerial views of the Wrangell and St.Elias ranges. Following that, we traveled to Valdez where we sea kayaked with SEAG sister company Pangea and experienced the vast ice field of the Columbia Glacier in Prince William Sound.
I would recommend Lucas and SEAG for any activities in the park. Their knowledge and experience in such a remote and wild place is worth every penny you may pay for the service.
We visited two backcountry base camps.. Fan Glacier and Skolai Pass, each (4) days in length. These base camps allowed us to do day hiking as opposed to point to point backpacking.
In between those trips we did the day trek to Root Glacier and ice caves, and the kayaking on Nizina Lake .. again kayaking into ice caves within the actual Iceberg (a surreal experience).
The terrain is for the most part without trails and so is more difficult than the type you might encounter near home. Lucas made sure we managed to achieve our objective, always with a smile and encouragement for (3) middle aged baby boomers with compromised knees!!
I cannot say enough about his leadership and SEAG as a whole.
If you love mountain views, glaciers, and ICE, ICE, ICE go to Wrangell/St.Elias and experience the vast wilderness of Alaska!!

San Francisco, California, United States
“Awesome (actualy definition of the word) St. Elias Lakina to Kennecott Lodge trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

You know those pictures you think have to be photo-shopped of backcountry wilderness? Well we have them on our camera phones, with no photo-shopping! For this trip we had wonderous and different views every day. Our guide was very professional and although I did more difficult terrain than I ever had previously, I trusted myself and the group to accomplish it based upon his experience and after proving ourselves on the first day. I also recommend the glacier hike and ice climbing with SEAG.

Seattle, Washington
“Glacier and Tundra Backcounty Trek”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We went backpacking for 5 days with St. Elias Alpine Guides. The trip was absolutely stellar and I couldn't recommend them strongly enough. This park is stunning! Our guides (Lucas and Michael) did a great job helping us push our limits on the trek and providing good backcountry knowledge. We did not see anyone for the first 3 days of the trek and only one group in the distance on our 4th day. With the hiking on and near the glaciers, we only had one day with bugs.

Visited July 2012
Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
29 attraction reviews
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I'm very comfortable in the outdoors doing many sports, but I am not confident around glaciers, so the day hike to the Root Glacier ice caves sounded fantastic. SEAG was very helpful in several ways. I was the only person signed up, but they still took me. And when my morning flightseeing was delayed, they were happy to wait for me.

My guide, Matt, was very friendly, and I enjoyed hanging out with him for a few hours. The caves were spectacular. I felt he took appropriate safety cautions without being over the top.

My only complaint (beyond wanting to be there longer) was the film crew that was in one of the caves. They acted as if they owned it - telling us "you must be silent" and generally being annoying. That has nothing to do with SEAG however.

In all, an enjoyable experience. I'd happily hire them for another trip at some point.