“Perfect location for rest and relaxation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort

You added Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort to your Saves list
Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Interamericana, Km 108, Guias de Anton, Santa Clara 0229-00140, Panama   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Santa Clara
Toronto
“Perfect location for rest and relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

I travelled to Panama with my husband and another couple in mid February. We found Breezes an oasis, with a quiet deserted beach and lots of pool space to relax and forget about your worries. The hotel staff was courteous, truly trying their best to please and make your stay memorable. The alcohol selection was fabulous and the a la carte restaurants provided ambiance, great service and terrific meals. The rooms were clean and nicely decorated. We felt extremely safe on the resort and while walking the beach. The resort was not overcrowded so there was never a wait at the buffet or at the bars. I recommend trying Bailey’s, milk, ice and a banana blended into a smoothie….. Yum! The local beer was a great hit for my husband.
We went on the Eco tour, an absolute must when visiting Panama. We were able to take a boat road through the Panama Canal, feed the white faced monkeys, see two sloths, take a walk through the rainforest, and have lunch on an Island in the rainforest. Our guide spoke exceptional English and our boat driver was quick to find wildlife along the Canal. We had a fabulous day!!
We also paid for a driver (Felix) to take us into Panama City for the day. We paid $150 US and had the service for 10 hours. Felix was an excellent driver and kindly watched over us when visiting Old Panama City. Although he didn’t speak English we had our representative from Sun Quest write a list of locations we wanted to visit. While in Panama City we shopped at the Allbrook Mall, which was quite expensive for the small shops, but we made out quite well at the department stores. The department stores are where all the locals shop and you have to check your bags before entering the store. There is a grocery store in the mall so be sure to stop there to purchase your coffee and alcohol.
Just a few cautions: One couple from our resort visited the small shops in Penonome and the lady had her wallet stolen. Also, when we were departing from Panama we were almost charged for being over our 20 kilos per person at the airport. The scales seemed to favour the airline so be very careful on how much you purchase when you are visiting. A lot of people were frantically removing items from their luggage and stuffing it into their carry-on to avoid the extra fees ( at the Panama airport the carry-on luggage is not weighed).

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

The worst hotel/ vacation ever. Read what I experienced.

1. Upon arrival at 2 am, we were given a room that was either someone else’s room or it was unmade from the day before. It was a mess. I complained and was offered another room that faced a massive construction site. This was completely unacceptable as well. I do not want to face a construction site on my hard earned vacation. The third try we did get an ocean room.
2. Upon arrival we were hit with the smell of raw sewage. The septic tank was installed in the front of the hotel by the pool. The smell permeated the entire hotel (except by the ocean) and at times was unbearable. I did not smell one flower while I was there. Whenever there was a strong breeze the smell went along with it.
3.The pool had standing water. It did not appear chlorinated; it was rather dirty. Not sure what I was swimming in.
4.Alongside the pool ran a ravine of standing stagnant water that smelled like raw sewage. This looked like a serious health hazard. It was disgusting to smell and to look at.
5.100 feet to the left of my room was a huge construction site and I mean huge. Bull dozers were going constantly to the point where the noise prevented me from sitting outside at my ocean front room. By the way, not an ocean worth viewing. No Caribbean view here. Stick to the Jersey Shore.
6. In my opinion, the food was terrible. They served the same thing every day and there was not all that much to eat considering it was buffet style. Lunch by the pool was chicken fingers, hamburgers, and hot dogs everyday and that was it. No food served in between meals and no room service. I was starving the entire vacation. And the liquor was completely watered down.
7.The service was good but no one spoke English.
8.The hotel did not allow you to get any money off of your credit card. (which I found pretty outrageous). They told me the nearest ATM was 15 miles away.
9. Activities - 2 sail boats. Entertainment at night none!

Most boring miserable trip ever. Felt trapped. Couldn't wait to go home!! Threw away $5000.00. You will thank me for warning you.

• Stayed February 2010
befuddled_8, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 21, 2010
I t is very interesting to note that this same review appeared on Trip Advisor dated February 25, 2010 under the heading "Believe the bad things. Otherwise I wouldn't write this. Beware this Hotel" but is no longer accessible on the website. Now the same review can be seen under it's present heading but dated March 3. 2010.
Newton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

After staying at Breezes Bahamas twice, we decided to try Breezes Panama. GREAT TRIP! Sure it's a long ride to the resort from the airport but it gave us an opportunity to see some of the country. We were never bored or unhappy. The resort is absolutely gorgeous! Pleanty of pools and plenty of beach! If you are looking for a great resort to just relax then this is the place!! The drinks were great and the staff were super friendly-some couldn't speak English but they tried their hardest!
My husband and I did 2 of the tours while we were there. We did the Canal Tour where we traveled through the Panama Canal and went through a few locks.....it was very imformative and now I can say I went through the canal! Met some amazing people on that trip and had a great time! They even served breakfast and lunch on this tour.
The other tour we did was the four wheeler tour! BEST TIME EVER!!! We were driven to a quaint hotel up in the mountains where they gave us a tour and then fed us a really nice lunch-stunning place! Then we each hopped on our own quad and headed to the mountains where we saw the crater of the volcano. Talk about views!! Completely breath-taking! When all was said and done we traveled about 40 miles total and at the end had a quick ride back to the resort by bus. Probably one of the most memorable experiences of my life!!!
As for the food...I have no complaints at all. We ate at the buffet and the restaurants requiring reservations. We actually ate at the hibachi twice we liked it so much. One night we even took a taxi ($24 roundtrip) to a local place and it was great!!!!!!
Last but not least, the management! Nothing to say but fantastic!!! Without mentioning names we can say this.......they are an additional reason we WILL be going back!!! Made us feel like royalty!!!!
Don't listen to all of the negative feedback.....go to Panama and find out for yourself!!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

Our stay at the Breezes Panama resort was very enjoyable. We felt safe and were happy with our stay. The service was excellent all staff members were very pleasant and eager to help. No problem comunicating with anyone. The bar served brand name alcohol.The buffet was adequate. The Japanese restaurant was very enjoyable they cook in front of you which adds a little something different. The salad bar at the Italian restaurant was great with good choices had the filet of beef as main course and it was delicious. The steak at the Grill was a bit tough the ribs were ok. We had to wake up early to reserve a hut at the beach they have more on order which should improve the situation. There is no bar at the beach but waiters regularly come by to take drink orders which was a great service ! The beach was clean and the sand was salt a pepper and soft and swimming in the ocean was no problem took nice long walks along the beach. We spent most of our days at the beach and loved every minute.
Our room was facing the new condo construction and we did hear some construction noises in the morning but it was not enough to be disturbing. The entertainment needs some work it was very amaturish. The hotel is going through growing stage and I am sure that it will iron out some of the little details. Would definitely recommend the Eco Canal tour in which you take a bus to the Panama canal and then take a boat ride in the canal where we saw iguanas, turtles monkeys and even a cocodile in their natural environment. You then take short hike into the rianforest where we saw more monkeys jumping in the trees and other wild life. The only drawback to this trip was the distance of the resort 2 hrs from the airport and main attractions. We had a quiet and relaxing vacation with great weather which was exactly what we were looking for.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

Overall, it was a good trip if you want sun and relaxation. This is definitely not a lavish resort but definitely a great value for what they provide to the guests.

Here are some tips and comments:

1) You are guaranteed hot, dry weather. It is hot so I would suggest bringing a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher. We wanted to get tan but we put on 30 and 45 the whole time and still got burnt!

2) You probably want to try the restaurants but we found the buffet to be the best bet. If you are used to dining out and going to nice restaurants, most likely you won't be impressed with the food. From our experiences, the Italian restaurant was pretty but the food was bland, the Japanese was almost amusing if you've ever been to hibachi restaurants before and the Steak House was just ok, but service was great and it's by the beach so we had a great view.

3) We don't smoke but there are designated areas for smoking.

4) The staff couldn't be nicer and it is true that they speak little English but they try so hard! Eventually, they understand....be patient, you're on vacation! ; )

5) Try to look at the two hour bus ride as a tour of a country that is very different than where you're from. We just sat and looked at the houses and all of the scenery. I was just happy to be out of the cold weather!

6) The drinks were great. There is only one beer available and it is on tap, Balboa. Not a problem for us, but if you like a variety of beers, be prepared to just have Balboa. We tried it and actually liked it....but we're not big beer drinkers!

7) We were there when the hotel was at full capacity so we did have to get on line by 7 a.m. to make dinner reservations and to get chairs with SHADE! They did have a lot of umbrellas but like I said, there were a lot of people. We were there during Carnival so it was very busy!

8) The walls of the hotel are very thin but we made the best of it. Also, the entertainment is loud and goes on pretty late, but we also went to bed early a lot of nights....like 10 pm....how lame! We were just tired, that's all, sun and drinks all day! : )

9) We did the Panama Canal tour. We did the tour where the boat actually went through the Panama Canal. We figured since we were there, we had to do it. Was it a little boring? Yes, but it was worth it because of the history and we can say we went through the Panama Canal....that really was the only reason....!! : )

AND the BEST tour was the 4-wheeling through the mountains and sand....it was amazing! On the beach, they rent 4-wheelers for $50 for 30 minutes just on the beach. This tour, which lasts for hours and includes a great lunch at a cute little hotel in the mountains, was $99 and worth every penny. It was a little scary, but so worth it! There were older couples on our tour and they were fine. We had two tour guides with us and they reminded us (really, my boyfriend) that it's a tour, not a race!) ; ) ....So much fun!
Everyone that went loved it!

10) The spa was great...we went for massages twice and they were great! I also need a polish change for my pedicure....$7 and it took 15 minutes...I was fine with that!
The gym was really nice and spacious....and not crowded at all.

11) There weren't a lot of people in the water at the beach but my boyfriend went in, didn't get stung by any jelly fish but he was the only one in there!

12) They have complimentary catamarans and kayaks. Take advantage of that, it's defintiely worth it!

13) If I had to do it again, I would have stayed in Panama City for 2 nights and Breezes for 4-5 nights. 7 nights was a little long.... There was a hotel we stopped by on our tour called the Gamboa, in the rainforest, that was near everything and so pretty. Wish I was there a couple of nights to get a better experience.

You'll have a good time if you have the right attitude! The people are so nice....Oh one more thing....we went to a restaurant outside of the resort, Los Camisones, and it was great! It was pretty and it was a mix of locals and tourists. The cab ride was $20, round trip. I was a little hesitant to leave the resort but everything was fine and everyone else that left the resort had a positive experience.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Brighton, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

Enjoyed Panama - Came in around 10-11 PM due to weather delays in States had travel agent call ahead to notify hotel. Transfer arrangements were made thru Continental Airlines and our driver was waiting with a sign with our names to take us to the hotel upon arrival. Our travel agent had also notified the transfer company of our delay. We were are the hotel during Carnival week. Check in was quick and smooth, would have been nice to have a cold drink offered our party after the long bus ride- however that did not happen. Room was as booked and the construction next door was not loud, almost finshed with the one section. Great beach, goes for miles - small shells plentiful - brought swim shoes as suggested and no problems in the ocean. Never seen Managers name posted nor was their a managers party as has been our experience at other all inclusives. These offer a nice chance to meet who is in charge and get an introduction to the staff. Spa and gym are excellent value. Couples massage was first class. Nail spa is very reasonable and they did an excellent job.. Drinks excellent- most are premium and very plentiful. Bar staff friendly and eager to please. Food was good in buffet, especially at lunch. Speciality food service and offering has a way to go. Italian has most atmosphere with good salad bar but food service so, so. No problem getting reservations, yes you have to book day of meal which has been our experience at other locations, steak house needs redoing. Atmosphere at 7:30 PM still had people in the swim up bar splashing etc even though they were closed. Japanese was fun, ate there twice once with good service and food, once without good service or food - some at our table left after some items were prepared poorly. They also seem to have an issue keeping the grills hot and operating. Both nights staff from the back had to come out to get the grill going for the chef which backed up the reservations. No desert offered or available.
An activites board posting would be appreciated by most guest. No idea of when something is scheduled. We were at the hotel during Carnival and they were full, however some nights no indication of what was scheduled so we had went back to room, returned when we heard activity and enjoyed the entertainment. One suggestion would be to start the childrens entertainment earlier - many times children still being entertained past 9PM before adult entertainment.
We have stayed at other Breezes resorts and realize this is a family location - however it would appear that they need some help from the Corporate folks regarding the children so that both adults and children can have an enjoyable experience. Children were jumping off chairs at swim up bar and splashing water into drinks etc. Staff did request parents to supervise after we complained. There are enough pools at this location that with some guidelines kids and adults could both be happy. Great pool slide.
Spanish is spoken most however staff is trying very hard with their English and French and with a little conversation we were able to understand each other.
Additional shade was provided after our first day around the pool with about 25 or so new umbrellas and sturdy stands. Weather hot and sunny this time of year, bring sunscreen and limit your exposure. Several lobby areas provide great shade and breeze. Lots of tables and comfortable seating etc.
Welcome message on phone in Spanish, would have been nice for an English version for English speaking guest, also they did not tell us the message light would be blinking in your room with this message so you thought someone was trying to reach you. Used internet - $4.00 for 15 minutes and once I got to an English version all worked well - email, facebook etc.
Visit to Panama Canal a must for first time visitors. Arrangements handled by the hotel went smooth except for a long wait for one inconsiderate couple who arrived more than 20 minutes late.
Golf course looks beautiful, hope arrangements can be made for Breezes guest to use this facility. We understand they are working on something for this course.
No Casino at property.
All in all they appear to need some experienced help from other Breezes resorts management or team leaders to bring them up to speed on the how the other facilities run so that return Breezes guest get what they have come to expect.
Beautiful area, nice building an facilities, feel will come up to expectations in time with Corporate assistance.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

I hope this review helps those who may not be sure if this is the place to go or not. Lets face it we all have different wants, needs and expectations. I was unsure at first and almost switched my vacation but thank god I did not. Breezes was beautiful. Yes it is a long drive from the airport but we did have a guide who gave us some information about Panama during our bus ride and it was interesting just to look out the window and see how these people live. If you want to be close to the city I guess you should book a vacation at the Holiday INN!
At the airport we were greeted by people from sunwing who gave us an envelope with our room info., key card and other info. We only had to stop briefly at the front desk to give them a photocopy of our passports and if you want to make this even quicker just take a photocopy with you to give them.
The rooms were beautiful, clean, modern furniture and well stocked with fresh towels, beach towels, shampoo, lotion and even bottled water and soda.
The food was great. If you are picky then what can you expect but it never became repetitive. At each meal there were probably 20-30 different selections at Taboga the buffet restaurant, but there was also the buffet down by the pools for lunch which had burgers, nachos, chicken fingers, salad, hotdogs, popcorn, etc. There was also 3 ala carte restaurants for the evening and the japanese one munasan was great, the grill coco solo was also great and we didn't go to the Italian. Drinks were whatever you wanted. And they said their water was safe to drink and it was as we drank water they poured for us at every meal.
As far as tipping we didn't....it is supposed to be no tipping and there are so many workers that you would go broke tipping. We however did leave housekeeping a tip at the end of our stay and we did tip the tour guide one day. We did suggest some sort of tip box on the premises that you could put money in and tip there if you wanted and its shared by all once a month or something. Wages are low there and these people are working morning til night and they are all pleasant and smiling.
They don't all speak much English but they are learning and willing to learn so give them a break....together you can figure it out.
The pools were great and clean and there were lifeguards on keeping an eye out.
The beach was beautiful. You could walk for miles both ways and yes the stairs to the beach are complete. Yes there are jellyfish, and lots of other creatures in the water and some days we were advised not to go in in case of getting stung by a jellyfish but its the Pacific Ocean for heavens sakes......do you think that the creatures of the ocean know to stay away from where you are...lol....go to the pool then!! They do monitor this and put up red flags on days that they advise you not to go.
They have Hobie cats, kayaks, windsurfers at your disposal and although we didn't use these they let us borrow a life jacket for our four year old which was great. They also have a banana boat, seadoo's to rent.
There are activities each day and if they don't give one to you just ask for an activity brochure at the front lobby. There is also an activity brochure for the Kids club that you should ask for if taking kids. Its a great resort for kids and although we didn't use the kids club except for the last day it is clean with toys and activities and they plan lots of things for the kids to do. There is also a teen room with arcade games but our son whom is 4 went in also with his dad so he was well occupied at all times. There is also a small water slide into one pool which was great fun.
There was entertainment at night and it was great. No they may not be professionals but it was great fun and god they are really trying. Again most of this info as to what was going on is in the activity brochure.
There are some great tours and we really enjoyed the ones we went on. The Eco Canal tour was fantastic and also the Anton Valley tour was great. Its a bit of a drive to these but again how can you mind because on the way you are getting info from the tour guides about the area and Panama and they will answer any questions you have and you get to see the area and how these people live. The Breezes resort is in an area that is just being developed and eventually they may have things closer but I would still go to these ones that are farther away they were great.
Yes there is construction going on around but I wasn't bothered by it at all and our room overlooked the front of the building where you could see some of it. I never was woke up by noise or anything.....trust me I thought I was going to be bothered by this and was not so don't not go because of this. I can't wait to go back in a couple of years to see all the changes around.
Overall a beautiful resort. Open air lobby and buffet restaurant. Weather perfect at an average of 30 degrees every day with sun and a lovely breeze off the ocean. It was there dry season so ask about that when going and there were no bugs. I am not sure what else to tell you but go. We met some lovely people there and will definitely go to Breezes Panama again.
By the way we didn't use the gym or spa but was told by several people we met that it was great and prices are reasonable and comparable....you can even get your hair blow dried for 5-15 dollars depending on length.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort? Share your experiences!