“Inconsistent service, slow wi-fi” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center

You added Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Waterfront St, Prince George’s County, National Harbor, MD 20745   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 20% thru 5/3!
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in National Harbor
Washington, DC
“Inconsistent service, slow wi-fi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I visited the Gaylord National for a business trip in April.

The rooms were nice enough. My atrium-view room was large and so was the bathroom. It was nice to have a balcony that overlooked the atrium area. The bed was mediocre at best. Also, there was only a shower; no bath tub.

While I would give a 4 rating for the physical amenities, the inconsistent service and super slow wi-fi bring it down to a rating of 3. Although I had a good experience with the front desk checking out and one good server in the hotel's sports bar, the other staff were slow or rude, particularly in the lobby bar. In addition, one morning I thought that there were loud kids running outside in the hallway, but they turned out to be housekeeping staff goofing off with each other. Separately, I was disappointed with the very slow wi-fi that reminded me of the days of dial-up.

As a Marriott Rewards Gold member, I did not receive any room upgrade or wi-fi upgrade.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (893)
Linthicum Heights, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Very nice hotel, quite large. Staff friendly and room clean and comfortable. There are places to eat and drink inside the hotel , but the area is also full of places to have lunch or dinner. I was there for a convention, but this would be a great place to just visit. Very near Washington DC and Alexandria if you wanted to visit those areas also

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Great hotel, especially when decorated for Christmas. Kind of far from attractions in Washington if that is what you are looking for but location on the river is fantastic and beautiful. We found eating in the hotel prohibitively expensive do do often but there is a store with groceries across the street.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Akron, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

If you want the best of both worlds of staying at a luxury resort that is a city within a city, while being a short distance from a large metropolis, this is the place for you! Exquisite, lush, all-encompassing are some of the best words to describe the Gaylord in National Harbor, MD. This is probably one of the nicest hotels I’ve had the pleasure of staying: you can venture out and explore DC, Virginia or Maryland, then return to dining, shopping or a relaxing room. The hotel is centrally located and is right off of a major expressway.

The rooms are large and comfortable. I had a view of the ferris wheel on the harbor which lit up in technicolor lights at night time to create the impression of a light show. My room was on the 11th floor which allowed for stunning views.

Although the bathroom did not have a tub, the marble shower had built-in seating and a large shower head. The shower and toilet shared a room where double sinks and mirrors occupied the outer room.

I visited the resort for a birthday get away and even though there were business related events ongoing, it did not alter the ambiance of the hotel; elevators or restaurants were never overcrowded.
My boyfriend and I dined at the Pienza Restaurant which we highly recommend. We only dined there during breakfast hours but they offered a phenomenal buffet. On the morning of my birthday, our waitress was Alicia. She provided exceptional service, even surprising me with a special tray of treats. She took her time with us, chatting and providing whatever we needed. She is tops in our book and we hope that you will be fortunate to be seated at one of her tables.

I recommend the hotel for a romantic getaway; it is perfect for an elegant dinner, intimate walks and a plush room.

Room Tip: High floor with views of ferris wheel
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I was pleasantly surprised by the level of the accommodations here. Since we were staying for a volleyball tournament, I really was not expecting such a nice facility. Excellent customer service at every turn. The rooms felt new, clean and roomy. The common grounds were also quite spacious and well maintained. My only complaint would be that they were not equipped to handle the crowds at the basement Starbucks, ditto for some of the other food venues. Hope they can beef up the staff at the next tournament but I would definitely come back!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Knoxville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I stayed here for a conference for a total of four nights. The room was comfortable enough but relatively standard for a "nice" hotel room. Nothing to write home about. I had one lumpy pillow amongst my pile of four and my roommate had a slightly mildewly smelling pillow amongst her pile. Did we complain? Nah -- there were plenty of other pillows to choose from but it did make an impression. We had a window overlooking a "landing pad" type area where they are planting grasses/flowers in the form of the Gaylord "G" - again, nothing to get worked up about but what was a major positive was the quiet. I slept great every night even though our floor was apparently full of other conference go-ers getting up early every morning -- I never heard a door slam or loud talking. Very nicely insulated. The conference area is beautiful and the folks in charge of the "security" at our conference were very nice. The desk people and the people that cleaned our room were super nice. The food service people were a bit surly and cleaned up way too early -- if you were a late straggler to the food line, beware. The conference area could certainly have used some general seating in the hallways and gathering areas - most of us ended up sitting on the floor if we needed to do anything outside the classroom. I didn't eat at any of the restaurants here mainly because my stop at the coffee shop involved standing in line for far too long and the conference provided most of our meals. I was happy with the food selection there though none of it was just crazy awesome stuff. I did not visit the pool as it was always full of kids. The fitness room was rather nice though - with some weights and plenty of dreadmills and elliptical machines. The atrium was beautiful and I loved riding in the glass elevators. The valet men were friendly and helpful as was the tour lady.

Our last day there, we decided to go into downtown DC -- apparently the shuttle driver decided to lose his job that day so he didn't show up for work. The tour lady scrambled to cover our ticket costs so we could get a ride into town with one of the cars that waits outside. This worked out even better for us - just a few dollars more and he dropped us off exactly where we wanted to go and even picked us up when we called. In my opinion, absolutely worth the few extra bucks.

There are plenty of restaurants and shops around the Gaylord within walking distance and after a visit downtown, I was happy to be back in the relatively adult setting of National Harbor without the hubbub of DC.

If you want to get out for a run, there is a bike/run path that starts down at the Harbor and runs over to Alexandria that is really nice and safe.

Would I stay here again? Well, I liked the conference so I suppose I would. Am I dying to stay in another Gaylord? Nope. Given that I spent nearly ALL day for three days inside the hotel, I was grateful that it was pretty, that my room was just a long walk and an elevator ride away, that the television has Netflix built in, that there was a fridge in the room. However, for me, mainly, a hotel is a place to lay my head at night and hopefully not get bed bugs... not a place for me to live and breathe.

Bar Harbor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

My wife had a conference here for three days, and we brought the kids with us. We had a wonderful time. This place is amazing...beautiful atrium with an awesome water fountain and the people are so nice and helpful. Luxury would be the correct word for any all aspect of this convention center.
National Harbor is just as beautiful as the Hotel. The kids loved the Ferris wheel.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Been to Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!