“Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center

You added Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Waterfront St, Prince George’s County, National Harbor, MD 20745   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights & Save 15%
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in National Harbor
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed at the Gaylord as part of a military conference in May and was very pleased with the hotel: service, cleanliness, amenities.
Since the room cost was part of a contract I never saw a bill so I cannot comment on the fees that other reviewers have commented on. I have seen those at other hotels and find them annoying, so I know that I would have found them annoying here as well.
Parking in the garage was very easy, as was check-in and locating my room. I did not have an atrium view but still had a nice view of the wooded area behind the hotel. The whole atrium was stunning, with a great view of the river and the Woodrow Wilson bridge.
The room was large, with a king bed, a comfy chair, and a desk and chair. The bathroom had a large walk-in shower that was nice. Overall, the room was clean and adequate and the maid service was excellent. I had spilled tea on my bed and asked to have the sheets changed and it was done, no problem.
Everything I needed was within walking distance, including a CVS pharmacy for forgotten toothpaste. (I don't know if the hotel carries such items, I didn't ask.) Plenty of restaurants in the area as well as both chic (expensive) and cheap shopping.
The one bad mark was some of the food in the restaurant: our group had a buffet lunch and the meat and vegetables were very good. We tried the many types of desserts (cake, cookies, brownies) and everything was tasteless and dry. Seriously, we went back and got more broccoli...you know your desserts are bad when people dump them for vegetables!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (948)
Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I give this hotel a very good rating since due to the location (near DC about 15-20 minutes) and its architecture and design; it's a beautiful hotel. BUT you do pay for that (abt 250/night). We stayed for a conference/short weekday getaway from Wed-Fri. We liked the National Harbor area and really wanted to walk around more but it rained terribly on our last day. My one BIG complaint during this visit (we had been there once before abt 2 yrs ago) is the pool had a bad odor, I think you know what I mean. It is what it is, the kids still wanted to play and it was raining hard outside our last day so we just dealt with it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed at the Gaylord for a business trip and truly enjoyed my experience. The hotel offered an upgrade for $30.00 a night which I declined. I didn't expect the great view of the interior hotel and balcolny or the Potomac, however I was not expecting my view to be of rocks on the roof...with that said...that was the only disappointment. I had a minor issue in my room and Ms. Caroline sent someone to immediately rectify the situation and gave me a small credit for my inconvenience - which I did not expect but it was appreciated. Everyone I came in contact with from the front desk to Bell Service to the restaurant staff, everyone was friendly and nice. I would especially like to thank Ms. Caroline and Martel who was especially nice and provided excellent service during my stay. The fitness room and pool was clean and spacious. We ate at all of the restaurants within the hotel Pienza, National Pastime, and Old Hickory Steakhouse and was not disappointed. Old Hickory Steakhouse...a little pricey but the food and service was great. Point of information...bring your own snacks and/or beverages because these are very costly inside the hotel or you can walk up the street to CSV. Don't forget to take advantage of the coupons that the front desk provides upon check-in. The area in National Harbor is quant with different shops and numerous restaurants to choose from. Don't forget to take a trip to Old Town Alexandria by way of the water taxi across the Potomac.

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

A colleague awoke to find he'd been sleeping in a puddle of urine from the previous occupant! I had no hair dryer and the iron had scorching that left black marks on my clothes. The hallway smelled of something burned (all week!) I arrived at 6:30pm to find the only 2 dinner choices are the steakhouse or the sports bar. The simple cobb salad at the sports bar was awful and the iced tea tasted like sludge. They added a seperate charge to my Amex for my meal 2 days after my departure date, duplicating the charge from the overall bill. When I called their office to resolve, they don't open until 11am!

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Gaylord as it was hosting our daughter's college graduation. Had it not been for that we most likely would have opted for one of the other hotels in National Harbor, and there are quite a few to choose from.

We are so glad that we stayed at the Gaylord, and if you try it you will be too.

This is one fantastic hotel from its size, to the dining options, but most importantly, the friendly staff.

A couple of tips: If you do go, try to be there for the Saturday night to see the fire works! And, take the water taxi across the Potomac River to Old Town Alexandria.

• Stayed June 2013
Boise, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My company recently held our National Convention at the Gaylord National Resort. To be fair, the facility is beautiful and our room was very nice.

The hotel catered our event and the food was awful! Frankly, the only thing decent that they served over the course of our four day stay were Hot Dogs. For a hotel of this caliber, that is sad. There were hundreds of people at my Convention and the poor food quality was a constant topic of discussion. According to our Organizers, we were being charged $41 per person for Breakfast. I was outraged to learn this.

On a parting note, the coffee they served was great! At $175 per gallon, it should be.

Convention Organizers beware.

Room Tip: The Atrium view rooms are beautiful.
Philly
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Huge rip-off. I stayed here for business and I was charged a $15 "resort" fee every night for what amounts to 2 bottles of Wal-Mart style bottled water and internet fees. This was on top of $247 nightly fee, $22 for parking, and about $38 in taxes.

The room wasn't nearly as nice as what you get in a Hampton Inn for 1/3 the price. You don't get breakfast here, and the restaurant food available in the "resort" was so overpriced that I actually laughed out loud.

Oh yeah, the beds were quite uncomfortable, and it was impossible to work in the so-called "desk chair".

The whole National Harbor area just seemed fake and sterile to me. I'll definitely avoid in the future.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere.
Also consider these accommodations in or near National Harbor
AC Hotel Washington, DC at Natio...
#5 of 5 in National Harbor
3.5 of 5 stars 44 reviews
Comfort Inn
#1 of 3 in Oxon Hill
3.0 of 5 stars 80 reviews
Old Town
Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel

Been to Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!