A friend was attending a business meeting at the Gaylord, and she invited me to spend the weekend in DC with her. I had previously been to National Harbor to walk around and I had dined at the sports bar at the Gaylord. I have also previously stayed at the Gaylord Texan (DFW/Grapevine) and Opryland (Nashville) resorts, which were very good experiences, These left me anticipating a really lavish, luxurious experience at National Harbor. To be certain, the only thing that was luxurious were the prices, and this turned out to be a very disappointing experience that did not live up to the otherwise solid Gaylord brand.
The room was nothing special - a typically 3-star type room, with a shockingly small supply of hangers in the closet, a TV that required two visits by maintenance to get to work consistently, a very strange, cumbersome system for ordering room service, and hallways that reminded me of the hotel in "The Shining". And these were the good attributes! Couple this with a very inconvenient and isolated location, and you have the perfect formula for a captive audience and limited incentive to wow the customer. This translated into the quality of the restaurants (meh!), the cattle-drive type feeling whenever we were in the lobby or ballroom areas, and of course, the underwhelming presentation and utility of the rooms.
Experiencing this disappointment at a Marriott Group-owned hotel, in DC, the hub of Marriott's business was a shock, and I cannot in good conscience recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Newly opened along the banks of the Potomac, the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center is the newest monumental addition to the national capital region. With 2,000 luxurious guest rooms, including 110 lavish suites, and 470,000 square feet of meeting, convention and exhibition space, it’s the largest combined hotel and convention center on the Eastern Seaboard. Here, guests will also enjoy four signature restaurants, a 20,000-square-foot spa, the area’s hottest ultra lounge, elegant retail shops and a magnificent waterfront promenade boasting a full-service marina and views of nearby Washington D.C. and Old Town Alexandria, Virginia. Gaylord National will be the cornerstone of the highly anticipated National Harbor project, a 300-acre waterfront destination offering world-class dining, retail and entertainment venues in Prince Georges County, MD. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Low Cost Holidays, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gaylord National Hotel Oxon Hill
- Gaylord National Resort And Convention Center
- Gaylord National Oxon Hill