“Girls Vacation” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Galloway
“Girls Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

National Harbor was a great place to visit. There were four of us and we stayed for five days. We had a lot of fun just walking around the shops and the pier. You can walk out on the pier and just sit and watch the boats go by. Sometimes there's people playing music or doing aerobics on the pier its fun to join in or just watch. There are restaurants on the pier if you go to The restaurant Fiorella Pizzeri don't get the pizza it was horrible, it was burnt and the meatballs on it were horrible we took it back to our room and threw it away. McCormics and Schmitt's was excellent a little pricey but you get what you pay for. I wouldn't advise getting carb cakes at the Cadillac Ranch Restaurant they had a lot of filler and very spicy it took away from the taste of the crab cake. But Cadillac Ranch does have bull riding and a fun atmosphere! Also if your going to buy food for your hotel room do not go to the Gourmet grocery prices are high and a lot of food was expired. CVS has a nice selection of food. There is a water taxi that takes you over to Alexandria that is a great little town to visit. Just watch a lot of pan handlers thou. Alexandria has coble stone streets they're pretty neat, and a lot of old cool homes. Back at National Harbor Wyndham has a courtesy pickup bus to take you into Washington DC. You do have to pay a fare for the bus but if you get the 48hr pass they give you a couple of free places to see like The wax museum, crimes and punishment museum, and a cruise on the Potomac River. A lot of DC Museums are free. The bus company that picks you up takes you right into DC they have 4 different color routes you can take, we took one long route and one short route each day. You can get on or hop off any big bus stop just watch that you take the right color bus, since there are 4 colors. The only draw back of taking the bus from Wyndham is that you have to catch the bus back at 5pm it's the only one that goes back to National Harbor. If your running late to catch the bus back it might be worth catching a cab back to the station, we did it only cost 10.00 and we just made the bus. If you miss it you have to take a cab or the metro back to National Harbor. Now we did see a bus that said National Harbor Courtesy dropping people off in front of the hotel, but we seen it on our last night I don't really know how you go about catching that bus. All an all this was a very relaxing vacation. I think we all lost weight from all the walking we did. lol

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was one of several trips we've taken to Wyndham National Harbor. It is always a pleasure to visit the area. It's amazing how much National Harbor has grown, with stores, dining, and entertainment options. It is also several miles from the Branch Avenue Metro Station (Green Line) which makes it super easy to get into DC to visit the museums, monuments, and other sites of the Nation's Capital. With so much to see and do in the region, a week is never enough!

Long Island, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My family and I recently stayed at this resort. I must say all in all it is a very lovely resort as many Wyndhams are BUT we were VERY disappointed in the service we received. We arrived hours before 4PM check in and were told by the front desk staff that they would have our suite ready for us early. we took this time to explore National Harbor and grab a bite to eat. We returned to the resort at 3 PM, our room was still not ready. At 4 we returned to the desk our room was still not ready. We were told that maintenance was fixing an electrical issue. FINALLY at 4:45 our room was ready. ( side note: the ladies at the front desk could be a bit more friendly and helpful especially since they are the first people guests see as they enter the resort)

Our family has a habit of checking the beds as soon as we arrive. We were so displeased to find DIRTY STAINED sheets beneath the comforter of one of the beds. Disgusting! We called housekeeping unsuccessfully as they are not available after 4 pm?!?! So we called the front desk and the front desk manager came to check the bed before sending someone up to change the sheets. The front desk manager consoled us with a bottle of wine and a late check out time.

Fast forward to checking out we were harassed by the front desk and housekeeping to leave the room!!

I think Wyndham National Harbor could use work in the staffing department (front desk and housekeeping) They are clearly understaffed. The only nice and helpful people were the bell hops and activities crew.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed 5 nights at Wyndam Resort at National Harbor in Oxen Hill, MD. It was awesome. We stayed in a 2 bedroom Presidential Suite...we had our washer and dryer, two bedrooms, two full baths...there were 5 of us, and this unit did not have a pull out bed, which I was a little concerned about...but the couch is close to the size of a twin bed...and extra wide. So, it was definitely feasible for one of the kids to sleep on the couch. Not a problem at all!! Rooms were clean and getting extra towels was not an issue at all. No housekeeping, but we were fine with that. The hotel itself is very family friendly...movie theater, dvd rentals, ping pong, pool table, indoor and outdoor pool, Wii room, arcade...there are two BIG grills that you can reserve throughout the day. Reserving them is NOT a problem...you get an hour to complete your grilling. They had an hour salsa and belly dancing class that you could join if you wanted...there were crafts for the kids to do during the day. We worked w/ the concierge and booked a NIGHT tour of the monuments/memorial, did a 48 hour pass on the Big B bus company...kids thought it was cool that we could sit on the top of the bus and that it was all open. Bus picked us up at the hotel at 9 and we had to be at Union Station by 5 to get home. The concierge had tickets to the Holocaust exhibit, which was awesome. We didn't have to get one of their tickets and come back at a specified time...we just got there and went through the exhibit. There were awesome fireworks by the Gaylord Conservation Center...and on Sundays they have movies down by the harbor. We didn't get a chance to go to the movies, but apparently they have a popcorn truck that comes...it sounded like a lot of fun. The downtown is really awesome. Lots of specialty shops, a great frozen yogurt store. We would stay at this location again in a heartbeat. It was 15 min. from DC.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I had a 2 bedroom and the resort was fantastic! the units were very clean and well equipped. The amenities were great! the indoor pool was awesome and the game rooms were fantastic. The grounds are very well maintained and D.C is only 15 minutes away. Great location as it is close to many other attractions. The only one thing that was left to be desired is the staff. Usually Wyndham's staff is extremely friendly but not this time around.The front desk agent was not as warm and welcoming at the time of check in and the activity person seemed to be bothered at times. Other than that the stay was fantastic! I would definitely recommend it to my friends and family!

Room Tip: 508 overlooks the roof top
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We really enjoyed staying here. We were guests of owners-- my father had a one bedroom and my family (w/two little boys) had a two bedroom. Our suite was very spacious and very clean. They did schedule us for a sales pitch on check in, but they didn't want just my husband there, so they asked him to leave. My dad was there for two hours, and I don't think my boys would have made it through that!

We drove into DC several times, and we did take the metro once - for 5 of us, it was cheaper to drive in and park at a garage. We mostly visited the Mall and monuments, and we did go to the zoo as well.

The Children's museum was amusing for an afternoon. I probably wouldn't go back, but it isn't a huge place, so my boys did everything there was to do.

We ate at many of the National Harbor restaurants and, if you have any somewhat picky eaters with you, that may be a challenge. My younger son didn't fare too well. :) It is all very close and is easy walking. We also brought breakfast and lunch items with us, which was great! We drove to Target in Alexandria to get supplies.

They have a little room with a few toys for small kids, and my boys loved it in there. We visited the pool once and enjoyed it, but it was pretty crowded subsequent days.

I would stay there again! It was nice to have such a large room compared to a regular hotel room. I really appreciated reading all of the previous reviews so I would know what to expect.

Room Tip: Be careful of the rooms near 316 - they are right above the movie viewing room and can be a bit loud...
Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

My mil is an owner and we stayed there with her. We had a 2 bedroom which was nice. The staff is very helpful/friendly. The location is great with wonderful restaurants within walking distance. 1 complaint I have is with the cleanliness. 1 of our folded towels had BROWN stuff all over it. Not what you want to see when they are white. We also had some mold in the shower. I think if they took care of these minor things it would have been amazing. I would stay here again though. I do want to warn people about ordering food! We tried it twice and had nothing but problems. The second time was horrible! I fought with the company for 2 1/2 hours trying to get our food! The restaurants are amazing so take the time to go to them DON'T ORDER IN! I know this has nothing to do with the resort but I wanted to let everyone know.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Wyndham Vacation Resorts At National Harbor? Share your experiences!