“Wonderful Facility, Timeshare Sales Tactics TERRIBLE” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
15% Off
GreenLeadersBronze level
Adana, Turkey
“Wonderful Facility, Timeshare Sales Tactics TERRIBLE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We checked in for three day vacation to take our children to the capital for their first time. The facility is new, beautiful and in a wonderful area of town. Check-in wasn't until 4 pm, the room wasn't ready and they wanted us to wait in their second story recreation facility until the room was ready. This was incomprehensible and I wasn't going to stand for it. They were able to make a comparable room available, but the problems didn't stop. The sales staff is positioned near the front door. They will hassle you and hassle you and hassle you to meet with them. Their slimy tactics even resulted in them conducting an "inventory" to try to sell us more property in which we might have been interested if their sales staff wasn't so appalling. Even upon check-out, they asked if we were checking-in. I replied, I've been here three days, I'm checking out, if you noticed my face instead of seeing dollar signs, I would have been more inclined to enjoy my stay more.

Room Tip: They're all great, just ensure you get your groceries from outside of the city because the optio...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Ithaca, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

As a Discovery Member of Wyndham I had a set number of points to use in trying out a membership without a permanent deed. I opted for the location at National Harbor in Maryland since it was one of the newer properties and was in an elegant area, close to many attractions.
I reserved a two bedroom with a balcony. My children and grandchildren joined me. The check-in process was not smooth. As my car sat idled in the circle, I was badgered with offers of surveys which required a set time committment. I did sign a committment, partly to get the process moving. Then I was given a parking ticket and instructions on getting to my room. I felt from the onset that the staff was insincere and the goal was to "get" you to sign up for something more than what you already had. Our room was wonderfully comfortable, spacious and quiet. The beds and bedding afforded a peaceful sleep. The kitchen had nearly everything required for preparing meals. We did have problems with the ceiling fan which needed a remote. A call was made for service. Someone arrived many hours later with a remote which had the batteries taped with scotch tape. He handed it to my son without determining if it worked! We also needed a toothbrush and towels. Two calls were made to get the towels. The response from the second call was that there was no guarantee that anyone would be bringing the towels. My son had to go to the front desk to get a toothbrush. No ice machines were located on the vending machine floors so my daughter-in-law asked an employee where to get ice. He took her outside to an ice house where she had to fill her bucket!
Although I did sign up for a "survey", I did not really want to interrupt my sleep and vacation to attend. We received five or six phone calls from someone reminding us, asking if we knew the directions, telling us that we made a committment, telling us that we couldn't get off the do not call list etc. We had to unplug the phone!
My Discovery Club membership was expensive, but I had high hopes of having wonderful experiences which would prompt me to purchase a permanent ownership. If this is the way Discovery Members are treated I would not consider purchasing a vacation ownership.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is fairly close to the elevator since there is only one! The second level has th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Baldwin, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The property is very modern looking and the units are impeccably clean and beautiful. However, our balcony was barely large enough for 2 chairs and a table, luckily it was December, so no big deal. We enjoyed a few of the activities on property which were mostly well attended and fun. However, the activity room was terribly understaffed. Staff was hit or miss (some helpful, some gave wrong information and/or seemed disinterested - no personal cell phones at work, please). We were disappointed that the pool was mysteriously closed for the length of our short stay - 3 days. The area is still being built and promises to be a great destination. However, in the future we will stay at the Wyndham in Old Town Alexandria.

Room Tip: ALL of the activities take place on the second floor.
State College, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Our 2-bedroom unit was spacious even for 6 of us during Christmas week. Our only (small) complaint was that the wireless Internet was not strong enough for mobile devices. Our computers were fine in picking up the signal, but we found that we had to use them (and the mobile devices) in the dining room for the best signal.

We tried to use the resort free shuttle to DC, but we found that the return times were not compatible with a tourist's schedule. We used the nearby NH1 public bus from/to the resort to the Branch Ave. Metro (green line). Service was good and on time. Parking @ $11 per day (billed to our room) was right across the street with in/out privileges.

We spent most of our time in DC and didn't do much in National Harbor although it is an upscale town with lots of dining opportunities. We found it easier to eat in the condo where cooking was easy in the full kitchen. The fitness room, pool, and hot tub were excellent for a hotel. Our grandson enjoyed the game room, especially the foosball. The staff was friendly and helpful. We used points to stay at the Wyndom and would happily return if we could get in again. It seems to be a popular destination for families.

Room Tip: We liked being on floor #10 near the top of the resort.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed during Christmas break from December 23, 2012- January 1, 2013. We stayed in room 816. The room was spacious and very clean!
Pros:
24 hour gym
Pool opened until midnight, great for late night swim
Activities every day
Very close to cvs
Fireworks on the roof
Cons: the pool was closed on dec 28 & 29, so we couldn't swim those 2 days. When it reopened the pool was cold and on New Year's Day , the hot tub was Luke warm and a bunch of kids were splashing around in it. I got in for 2 minutes and when I walked back to my room, I was freezing cold

No wifi. I have an iPhone and every time I went online, the page wouldn't upload

But otherwise, the hotel was great and I miss staying there

• Stayed December 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights over New Year's! Bell staff were amazing, Terry was very friendly and efficient! We had a 2 bedroom Presidential, and the room was clean and superb! The parking charge was $11 per night, which is fine. I did not seem to get the appropriate parking ticket when I checked in, and when I went to the front desk to ask for one, they told me they already gave me one and had already explained the parking procedure. What? The finally gave me one, and when I went to check out they had charged me for an additional ticket. I had to go back and forth with them to get the $11 taken off the bill. The room and experience was still good overall, and I would stay there again,but get the parking pass up front.

Room Tip: Ask for a view when you checkin.
Aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We went for a weekend during Christmas season. The primary reason for our visit was to see the ICE exhibit at the Gaylord. Once we arrived we found that there was so much more to see and do without leaving National Harbor. The complex was decorated beautifully for Christmas. There was a huge tree down by the water that lit up with many different light patterns and colors. On Friday nights they have a small firework display and the Gaylord has a huge atrium full of decorations. The Wyndham is in great proximity to everything in the complex. There is a well-equipped CVS on the first floor, a gourmet market across the street, numerous other specialty shops close by and of course the ICE exhibit was just a block away.
We found everything that we needed on-site. We did bring food with us, but my son was on a special diet and couldn’t eat what we had. He was able to find what he needed at the market across the street. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had our grandchildren with us and wanted to fill in some down time with activities at the Wyndham. We didn’t know that you’re supposed to sign up ahead of time for the activities, but the staff managed to organize some activities for us anyway.
We found that the resort was clean and well equipped. The outdoor pool was closed for the winter but the indoor pool was open and had a life guard. There were many game rooms and children play areas. We stayed in a standard two bedroom with a balcony. The master bedroom suite was very large and luxurious; the rest of the unit was comfortable for the five of us that stayed the weekend. We had two adults and children visit and it seemed a little crowded then, but all in all we were comfortable. The view from our unit was great. The balcony was angled so that there was a good view of the harbor area and the Potomac.
We look forward to using this Wyndham again for future vacations and get-a-ways. There seem to be a lot of scheduled activities for National Harbor as well as everything that happens in DC.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony or a Presidential Unit, they have a lot more room.
Also consider these accommodations in or near National Harbor
AC Hotel National Harbor Washing...
#5 of 5 in National Harbor
3.5 of 5 stars 52 reviews
Old Town
Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel

Been to Wyndham Vacation Resorts At National Harbor? Share your experiences!