“Odd European Style Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of AC Hotel Washington, DC at National Harbor

You added AC Hotel Washington, DC at National Harbor to your Saves list
AC Hotel Washington, DC at National Harbor
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   156 Waterfront Street, National Harbor, MD 20745 (Formerly aloft Washington National Harbor)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in National Harbor
San Diego
“Odd European Style Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stayed at the AC Hotel National Harbor for 2 nights and did a video review of the hotel grounds and a king bed room.

If you'd like to see what the what the hotel and room looks like then check out the video here:

The AC Hotel National Harbor is located in the National Harbor complex, in Maryland, right across the Potomac River from Alexandria, VA. The hotel is approximately 10 miles to Washington DC.
Valet parking directly in front of the hotel is $35/day, or self-parking is available in any of the National Harbor parking garages for $18/day. I did the self parking, because I don’t mind walking a block… but the annoying thing about the self parking is that since the parking is not paid for through the hotel, you have to pay every time you go in or out of the parking garage.

The hotel definitely has a European feel to it – not the feel of a typical Marriott. When you walk in the front door of the hotel, there’s a small bell-boy podium, two elevators, and a staircase. That’s it on the first floor. Guests need to take the elevator or the stairs up to the second floor to the “lounge bar” where the check-in desk is.

Upon check-in I was recognized as a Platinum member, and offered 400 points, plus any single food or drink item from the marketplace (except alcohol). I asked about breakfast, the price is $15 for a continental breakfast, no free breakfast for golds or platinum members here. I couldn’t tell you how the breakfast is, I had McDonald’s just down the street for breakfast instead.

In addition to the lounge bar, and breakfast, the second floor also has some meeting rooms, and a small but nicely put together gym.
Now on to the room -- When you walk in, the first thing you see is a rather odd exposed closest. It looks like something maybe purchased from IKEA. To the left of the closest is the bathroom sink, and beyond a sliding glass mirrored door, the toilet and a shower. So you basically walk in to the room and you are “in” the closest and bathroom. Just a bit weird.

Beyond the closest/bathroom is the “bed” part of the room. The bed part of the room was nicely put together. The bed was comfortable. The desk had a neat view out the window. There was a small refrigerator under the desk. The front-desk staff told me there would be two complimentary bottles of water in the room… well not in mine. The floors were hard-wood… not really my favorite. I like carpet – easier on the feet.

Some oddities in the room: No clocks, no tissue/Kleenex box.
The walls seem really thin… I could hear almost every door close from the hallway. Light sleepers beware!

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Boiling Springs, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Tried for first time. I like other Marriotts better. No frills in room. Had to walk up a block to self park for $16 but better than $35 valet. Loud pillows but great linens. No bath mat and no carpet. We had a suite and it opened up to a great view. I prefer a more homey comfort of a hotel and this was modern but not for us. Had cool USB ports next to bed for phones. Can't plug coffee pot in where it's located so had to move entire tray.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here for a night after visiting downtown D.C to get away from the city. The location was very nice by the Potomac River. Front desk staff did a great job and made me feel very welcome. Although my stay was short i did have a few requests and the front desk staff was more than help me with my issues. The hotel looks very new and trendy. The white walls and decor made it look very clean and open. The lobby is very big and includes a bar, computer station with iMacs and a river view patio where you can sit and order food with a remote. The hallways to the rooms were very dimly lit however I did notice how quiet it was. The room itself was nice as we got a double queen facing the river so you get a view of the huge Ferris wheel and the river. The room was similar to a studio with the bedroom and bathroom separated by a wall and sliding mirror door that separated the shower and toilet. The decor was very nice and modern. If your just in for a good night sleep you'll be fine, however if your looking for something with tons of amenities and extras i don't think you'll find it here. The hotel doesn't have a pool either. You can either choose to park valet which is little bit pricy or park yourself in the Mariner garage on the street next to it for 15$ a night. Overall i had a good nights sleep was very satisfied.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Highly recommend this property! The location is great. The rooms are small, but wonderful and very very clean. Faux hardwood floors, which is wonderful for hotels. Great harbor views. I loved the hotel!!! The staff was here was always helpful and accommodating. The valet parking is $35 a day, which is pricey. You will also wait since early morning they only had one attendant working.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
bay area, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I really wanted to like this property. The location is really good, I like the concept.

However, it is new, and that shows in many mistakes, errors and oversights. Hopefully it gets better.

To start, showed up and tried to valet my rental car. After waiting with 2 other vehicles for more than 8 minutes, I drove and found a lot near by where I could leave my car over night. Of course, it was raining as I walked back to the property with my luggage.

Upon checking in, I learned that there are no benefits of being a Gold level Marriott member here. If you are looking for any benefits, room upgrade, free breakfast, etc that you usually get they don't honor any of those here according to the nice guy who checked me in.

The rooms are small, european style, with hard wood floors. Great for keeping clean and better for anyone with allergies. However, closets are exposed, and there is no kleenex in the room. I had never been in a room with no kleenex, seems like a short sighted cost savings to me.

While getting changed the tv went out, "no signal" was the message I was receiving. I called down and the operator said no one else had reported anything and she would send someone up immediately. I waited 30 minutes, no one came up, and suddenly the picture was fixed. No call, no visit, just had me wait - like a cable company.

Finally, the work out facility is sparse. There are 6 total machines, and considering it was new I was surprised that one of them was broken and in fact dangerous. The space is minimalist and could be used so much better. Not even an average hotel gym.

The staff is young and pleasant. The lobby lounge is large and comfortable. But the mistakes and misses are such that I do not think it is worth taking a risk and trying again for quite some time.

Room Tip: ASk for a room away from the elevators. The sound proofing is not good and I heard people yelling...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel is located in the National Harbor area in Maryland, right at a busy intersection above the "board walk" area where there are a few restaurants in a very close proximity. The Hotel itself is new, and has what I call a utilitarian design. It has a simplistic yet stylish design. The rooms are a bit small but the bed is comfy, the pillows are very soft, neck support issues? The shower is alright but the shower door doesn't seem to close properly so I ended up with a wet floor after every shower regardless of how I closed the door. These are small gripes I know but felt like they need to be told. The biggest issue for me was the noise, I was on the 4th floor facing the opposite of mariner (*spelling) street. The room wasn't "loud", but it seemed that a quite a bit of noise was able to make it's way through. I understand street noise can make it's way through but at the Gaylord (5 minute walk) I never heard any street noise at all, let alone the typical late night hallway noise like I did at the AC. In addition to the street noise I heard various other building noises, at first I thought it was my AC until but after shutting it off in the middle of the night I still heard the noise. It was enough to wake me up a few times. I know this hotel is new so perhaps the issues are still be worked out.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Newark, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

First off, let me say that this is a hotel is a great hotel to stay at, especially if you are a casual or infrequent traveler. However, if you're a road warrior, familiar with Marriott's other brands, the design elements/decor of the hotel may be a bit foreign to you (after all, it's Marriott's European-style hotel) - I'll explain more in this review.

Location: great location in a very vibrant development - lots of dining and shopping within walking distance. I appreciate the "closeness" to Washington DC without actually being in the city.

ROOM
My thoughts on the room were mixed. The king room was adequate, if a bit on the smaller side. The bed was comfortable for the type of property that this was. There were a handful of drawbacks:
* Walls are thin - you can hear conversations in the hallway. I'm a heavy sleeper, so for me to say that about the room says a lot.
* No locks on the bathroom doors. (Don't know if that's the same case for double rooms.)
* Love the USB outlets! Just bring your charging cables and you are good to go.
* There isn't a ton of storage - one closet rod and two small drawers in my space - but I'm guessing that they intend for guests to live out of their luggage.
* In-room safe, coffeemaker, chiller in the room.
* Faux hardwood floors throughout the room.
Overall, the room is a vast departure from Marriott's typical offerings in its other, more established brands, so you may be surprised - especially if you're a road warrior and a creature of habit. I stay at Marriott-branded properties frequently, so the departure from normal was a surprise for me.

HOTEL:
* There is a fitness center, and it's actually very well appointed.
* No in-hotel restaurant, but there is a bar and a very vibrant lobby space. It's great to spend some time in the lobby to get a few drinks and meet with friends. The lobby/bar area is on the second floor of the hotel, and there is a outdoor patio that overlooks the street and harbor below. I didn’t buy any drinks, but they were priced around $12 per cocktail. I didn't see room service as an offering.
* Valet parking is $35 with in and out privileges, or $16 for self park. There is a self-park garage managed by the city less than a block away, but it does require crossing a side street to access.
* $15/day for a “european-style” breakfast. Mostly cold items, including sliced meats/cheeses (freshly sliced prosciutto, turkey, cheddar); coffees (hot and iced), espresso, and cappuccino; assorted pastries including imported croissants; selection of parfaits and yogurts; cereal; 2 types of warmed quiche (spinach and bacon). Kitchen staff is on-point and friendly! I did pay for breakfast to see what it was like - while the breakfast options seemed of a higher quality, I don’t believe it’s worth $15.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay - the vibe and atmosphere for the hotel was very comfortable and welcoming. Definitely a recommended property if you're looking for a place right in the middle of all the nightlife at National Harbor and are willing to forego the slight drawbacks to the hotel room. However, if you're just looking for the basics - a clean room and a breakfast - and don't necessarily need the vibe of AC Hotel, I'd recommend the Residence Inn or Hampton Inn, located in the same area.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the harbor for the best views.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to AC Hotel Washington, DC at National Harbor? Share your experiences!