“Nice Place to Stay at National Harbor” 4 of 5 stars

Free Internet + Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in National Harbor
Certificate of Excellence 2014
virginia
“Nice Place to Stay at National Harbor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Was able to obtain a discount and decided to stay on a Friday night before Christmas 2013.

THE GOOD
1. Other than check in, staff was polite and nice
2. Liked the location. Wasn't right in the heart of the harbor where all the traffic is (where tourist congregate).
3. The complimentary breakfast was pretty good. Eggs, pancakes, pastries, bagels, toast, sausage and potatoes, cereal, Orange juice, Cranberry juice, coffee and tea (would have loved apple juice and bacon, but they did not have that).
4. Room was nice, but also had cons (see below). Bed was very comfortable. TV was on a swivel stand so you could watch tv from the living area or the bed.
5.Room had stovetop, microwave and refrigerator, with plates, glasses etc. Really liked that.
6. Liked that the 'bathroom' sink was not in the actual bathroom. Was in its own area with a closet where the doors were made of full length mirrors. Great for ladies :-)
7. Enjoyed this hotel more than A-Loft, which is another hotel also at National Harbor.

THE NOT SO GOOD
1. Check-in was longer than necessary. There were 3 agents behind the desk, but only one was helping guests. One of the agents after at least 5-10 minutes asked me if I was there to check in, and apologized for not asking me sooner.
2. Parking is not the best. You have to park in a parking garage across the street from the hotel. Trying to walk through a parking garage with cars driving through can be a little dangerous...so you have to keep your eyes open at all times.
3. The sleeper sofa was not very comfortable.
4. The actual bathroom which consisted of toilet and shower was very small. You could not sit on toilet and open the door without hitting your legs (sorry for the visual)
5. Food/snacks in gift shop were a little pricy, but I guess that's the norm in any hotel.

Room Tip: I stayed in a Studio room with 1 King Bed and sleeper sofa, on the third floor. Don't really ha...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
RINationalHarbor, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn National Harbor Washington, DC, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate your thorough break down of your stay with us. Thank you for sharing your experience. We look forward to greeting you back as our guest.

National Harbor Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Baltimore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

Check-in took a long time, but we were impressed when we saw the rooms... The one-bedroom was huge and all the way in a corner, and the rooms seemed fairly soundproof. Everything was fine until my daughter was in the bathroom and the other one closed the door. A big 2x4 fell on her head and brushed my other daughter's nose.... someone had left two 2x4s between the shower and the doorjamb of the bathroom. Of course, my daughter was screaming and crying because her head hurt so much.

I called downstairs immediately, and it felt like FOREVER before they sent someone up... and then FOREVER until they came up to tell me which room I could switch to. Of course there were no other 1-bedroom suites available on the floor and instead of traipsing my three little ones around the hotel late at night, I switched out of my roomy 1-bedroom suite to a studio. Then it took FOREVER for them to get me a pack and play which no one offered to even set up in the room (I've been to other Marriott properties when the pack and play was in the room before we even got there!). I was expecting some kind of compensation for the inconvenience... or at the least an apology... but we really got neither. In fact, one of the staff said to me 'don't worry... it wasn't your fault (that the 2x4 fell).' Ummmm... no kidding.

Breakfast the next day was fine, but I was shocked when my dad had to pay for the room at check-out... I think they gave him 5,000 miles, which was really nothing. I went back to the desk and heard another woman complaining about something that had happened to her, which just seems par for the course at this hotel. Again, it felt like I had to wait FOREVER for a manager (I think she even talked to the other guest before me although I was waiting much longer!). The manager, who admitted she was new, agreed to credit the account for the room... and then thankfully, we were on our way.

We had another bad experience with this hotel so I should have expected this. The customer service is terrible. Even my 9-year old daughter was writing negative comments on the comment card!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

We recognize that every guest experience begins with customer service and we sincerely regret the experience you had with us. We hope you visit the National Harbor area again. We value your feedback, thank you.

Carmel, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Stayed here for business one night and it was really disappointing. Staff seems like they could careless you are there. When you call the front desk, it seems like you are bothering them. Check-in was very unwelcoming. The main thing missing at this hotel is customer service. Nice looking property but that's about it. WiFi is terrible also! Its free but incredibly slow! No way to browse the internet or get any work done! My room had missing essentials that are basic in other hotels. I frequent Marriott properties all over the country and this was very disappointing. If you are visiting National Harbor, look at other options in the area (Gaylord National is right across the street).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your stay with us. Your feedback helps us identify areas of opportunity as customer satisfaction is a top priority. We do apologize your stay was not one in which we strive for. We appreciate your business and thank you for your loyalty to the Marriott Family.

Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to the Redskins and 49ers game for Monday night football . We wanted to stay someone close to stadium so we decided to stay at the national harbor. PERFECT !!!! The hotel rooms are very cozy. The breakfast was delicious . My new hotel for our quick getaway.

Room Tip: Choose high floor
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing us for your getaway! We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest. We appreciate your business.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

First time @ National Harbor and Residence Inn made it a great get away. I wanted a view, so I chose one of the harbor view rooms and was on the 5th floor with a great view of the harbor and the Gaylord Resort across the street and sunsets. Being here during Thanksgiving, we got the added view of the trees lit up outside at the Gaylord for Christmas. Once parked, you can walk anywhere in National Harbor. Out of 3 days, we only used our vehicle once to get groceries for the kitchen in our room. The room is organized very well with bed/bath, living room and kitchen. The maid left fresh towels on our door when we slept in and that was much appreciated. My only complaint was the awful interent...it moved VERY slow, if at all and was frustrating the whole time we were there. There was no charge for internet, like other hotels in National Harbor, and was one of the reasons I chose this hotel, but it was horrible. Otherwise, this hotel has a lot of amenities and I was happy with my choice.

Room Tip: Choose harbor view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
OperationsTeam, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn National Harbor Washington, DC, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your stay with us. We are glad that overall, you have enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your next visit. Our hotel has undertaken several initiatives and enhancements designed to help serve our guest’s needs better. It is a work in progress as we continue to learn more about how we can improve as an organization to enhance our relationship with you.I can assure you that I have and will be sharing your comments with our associates as an important training topic of improvement. Thank you again for your business and loyalty to our hotel and our associates. We appreciate you and look forward to our continuing business relationship.
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

As always, Residence Inn was fine. This is a great hotelif you just want to get away and stay inn National Harbor and not pay an arm and a leg. It's located across the street from the Gaylord, so if you have or are going to an event at the convention center, this hotel is a great option. The staff was fine and the noise level was fine as well. There is a fee for parking, but hey, it's National Habor. The parking fee was reasonable and you can come a go as much as you want.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
OperationsTeam, Manager at Residence Inn National Harbor Washington, DC, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
We appreciate your kind message regarding the exemplary service you received while staying at the Residence Inn National Harbor and the time you set aside to share your experience.

We are forwarding your comments to the Executive Office at the property to ensure that your positive feedback is shared with the staff. We appreciate your continued patronage and value your opinion.

Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn National Harbor for your hotel accomodations and we look forward to your next visit.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Average hotel. Below Average service. Very limited pool hours not specified on web site.

1) Front desk authorized way over what I was told would be authorized at the front desk at check-in creating an inconvenience to me.

2) I purposely stayed here because they had an indoor pool and it's only open at night. When I asked if I could use the sister marriott hotel they said there was no absolute way even if I paid to use the spa, etc. They blamed the state ordinances on the fact that they needed a life guard at the pool and the life guard was only available at night. Then maybe they need to hire a life guard to be there at normal business hours. They expected me to cancel my plans for the evening so I could use the pool during their ridiculous pool hours.

3) Also, the housekeeper unwrapped my toothbrush that i had in a blue wash cloth and took it. I'm not really sure how you can confuse the thin white wash cloths with my nice plush blue one.

Manager thinks 5,000 points will suffice for waisting my time and not publishing their limited pool hours. Very disappointing.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
We would like to take the opportunity to thank you for choosing the Residence Inn National Harbor for your hotel accommodations. Your review indicated that you had a less than perfect stay with us and we realized we came short in meeting your expectations. I can understand how those issues have impacted your overall experience. Please accept our deepest apologies for the inconvenience you encountered. I can assure you that those issues will be shared with Management as an important training topic for improvement.

If we could further assist, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel and any of our team members will be more than happy to take care of you.

Been to Residence Inn National Harbor Washington, DC? Share your experiences!