“Great Alternative to the Gaylord next door” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in National Harbor
Goffstown, New Hampshire
“Great Alternative to the Gaylord next door”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We were attending a event at the Gaylord, but read mixed reviews. We were very happy with the Residence Inn and it is steps from the Gaylord's event area. Service, food, and room were all great. Nothing bad to report... and I would not hesitate if there was!

Room Tip: The King studio suite was comfortable for a family of 3. Our room did not face the water, but I don...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Royal Oak, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was my first time in National Harbor (and sadly, it was work-related), and this is one of several hotels in the area. Overall, it's quite nice, only charges $13/day for parking, and the staff is great. The pool was closed for maintenance during my entire week's stay, but the manager sent me an email before I even arrived to inform and apologize for the inconvenience, which I actually thought was quite professional.

The only real downside is that the Gaylord was right across the street, and looks AMAZING. If I ever come back on my own dime, I'll probably have to check it out.

Room Tip: Try for a room with a view of the Potomac. I definitely missed out (I got to see the parking struct...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Easton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed at the Residence Inn at National Harbor for the MUSE Conference. As a late attendee, I was unable to get a room at The Gaylord Resort. Initially, I was a bit saddened at not securing a room; however, I was not disappointed by my second choice.

First, the Residence Inn is directly across the street from The Gaylord, which facilitated the attendance at the conference. While it may not have the grandeur of The Gaylord, the Residence Inn is not exactly second rate.

The staff is friendly and attentive. The check-in process was quick and efficient. I was in my room within a few minutes of my arrival.

My room was just a few steps from the elevator, and if any of you have read my previous reviews, you know I like to request rooms far from elevators. However, in this case, the elevator was so quiet, I didn't mind it at all. Additionally, the elevator is secure. It requires a room key to operate, which adds to the safety of the facility (not that the area is unsafe, but it adds to one's piece of mind).

My room was a studio, but it felt more like a one-bedroom. It was spacious, inviting, and extremely well-kept. The kitchen area included granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. The TV was a high-definition flat-screen with premium channels and could be viewed from either the couch or bed. There was a small sofa and chair and both were comfortable. The work area was sufficient with a good-sized desk. The free Wi-Fi had a strong signal, and I did not experience any drops with my Internet service.

Speaking of the bed, it was beyond comfortable. I felt like I was sleeping on clouds! I need to discover Marriott's bedding secrets, so I can duplicate it at home! I'm always pleased by their beds, pillows (and there are a lot of pillows!), and sheets. I always feel like I'm at someone's home rather than a hotel. Keep up the good work there!

The closet space was adequate, and it housed a standard-sized ironing board and iron. There was sufficient space for hanging clothes as well as shelving for other items.

Although there was only one sink, the vanity was long enough to accommodate two sinks and still have enough counter space. The shower was clean, and the tile work expertly done. The toiletries were top-notch. I also had plenty of towels at my disposal. And, yes, I do hang them and reuse, so I am water conscious.

The free breakfast had a variety of hot entrees, cereals, yogurts, and fresh fruits. The Belgian waffle maker was the biggest hits for both adults and children. The dining area was inviting, comfortable, and naturally lit thanks to its large windows. The outdoor patio was also accessible and provided an alternative dining experience.

There was also a free happy hour in the afternoon; however, I did not participate, thus I cannot provide a proper review. However, if I had to guess on its quality based upon my positive experiences, I would venture to say it is worth the stop.

The Residence Inn is just around the corner from great restaurants/pubs. I recommend the Cadillac Ranch's steak salad as well as their flatbread pizzas. I also recommend Harrington's Pub. Great bar food and burgers. And I highly recommend the Irish Car Bomb (Guinness beer with Jamison Whiskey, and Bailey's Irish Cream chasers) for dessert! Probably less calories than a standard dessert, and it comes it a liquid form, thus it's easier to finish!

If you're looking to stay in Washington DC for business, I wouldn't recommend this or any other hotel in the National Harbor area as it is a bit of a drive to DC. However, for vacationing/visiting purposes, there are tours available at reasonable prices from the hotel.

This said, I would rather stay in the Harbor area than in DC--one needs to relax after a full day of visiting the Mall!

One con of the area, not the hotel: the area has heavy air flight activity, especially during the early morning rush. So, if you're a light sleeper, this might be an issue if you choose The Residence Inn. If sleep is a major concern, I would recommend The Gaylord as the rooms are a bit more isolated against outside noise. Just remember, your sleep will come at a premium price as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the back of the hotel. This may help reduce some of the air traffic noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Norman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Stayed at Residence Inn National Harbor during a convention. Convention was at the Gaylord which is directly across the street. Residence Inn was much less expensive. Don't really need a car, unless you want one. The National Harbor area has several restaurants, a CVS grocery and you can take the water taxi to Alexandria to catch the Metro or go to Mount Vernon or Georgetown. Residence Inn suite was clean, had kitchen with full size refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave and two burner cooktop. Includes dishes, flatware, pans, etc. Housekeeping is available daily, if you want it. Would definitely stay there again! Note......the frozen French bread pizza needs to be cooked in a toaster/conventional oven which is NOT available here!

Room Tip: corner rooms are largest, rooms facing the Gaylord also have water views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Pierre, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I was at the Residence Inn in National Harbor for a week on business. Very clean. Nicely decorated. Staff was helpful. Good breakfast. Didn't have time to use pool or exercise facilities, but they looked good.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the Harbor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Burtonsville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I typically stay at the Gaylord across the street. This time we thought we would try something new and save over $100 for the night. We were very pleased with the size of the room. As others have said, the bathroom are small. The small kitchenette was nice, especially if you brought snacks. The breakfast the following morning was a nice bonus! Parking was very convenient and easier than our last valet experience at the Gaylord. It's a quick walk across the street to the Gaylord if you want to hang out in the atrium. There are lots if nice bars and restaurants which are a short walk. I would stay here again, especially since I was able to save over $100 for the night.

• Stayed March 2013
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Residence Inn is a very nice alternative to the Gaylord which is right across the street. The hot breakfast, evening reception, free internet and kitchen in the rooms are very nice. The fitness center was also nice. The entire staff was friendly. As has been mentioned in other reviews, National Harbor is expensive and if you are coming to the area to go to DC, this would probably not be your best option. The hotel rate was high (due to the number of conventions) and there is a charge for parking (cheaper than the Gaylord). The pool and hot tub were closed for renovations during the stay.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view of the river
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn National Harbor Washington, DC? Share your experiences!