“A beautiful hotel, but staff still learning” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in National Harbor
Woodbridge, VA
“A beautiful hotel, but staff still learning”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Westin National Harbor as a late anniversary gift to ourselves. The room (613) was very clean and had a beautiful view of the Potomac River. The woman at the front desk and the bellman were both very friendly. On the other hand, the housekeeping manager who knocked on our door @ 1pm asking when we were leaving probably should've known that we were allowed a 4pm checkout w/ our package.

We only really had 2 significant issues with the hotel:
1) room service: as part of our romance package, we were entitled to a free in-room breakfast for 2. We wanted something different (but similarly priced) than what the coupon offered, and the person who took our order really didn't seem to grasp what was on the menu and nearly charged us $39 to add a steak that should've only been $6 additional dollars. The food arrived 30 minutes later than promised and was 'barely' warm when it arrived.
2) loiterers: There were a couple of older people sitting outside the front of the hotel, and they just seemed out of place. I consider the Westin a fairly 'upscale' hotel, and I just didn't think it was very upscale of them to allow people to loiter in front of the hotel. I felt the same way several times when younger men were in the lobby "hanging out" and it drinking. It just seemed awkward and low-class.

FYI: The fitness center was nice with multiple treadmills and a few bikes and Nautilus-type equipment. The pool was super-small.

The National Harbor is truly a work in progress and it will likely be a while before it lives up to what the developer's envisioned.

Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Bowie, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

July 4th was my husband's 40th birthday. I planned an overnight stay at the Westin for our extended family. BAD DECISION. The front desk clerk couldn't find one of my reservations even with the confirmation number. She then ruined the surprise (out of town family) by saying my brother-in-law's name on one of the reservations. No huge deal. The room we were put in, Room 233 is a set up. There is a dark film of white dots all over the window, ruining the harbor view. My children mentioned their room, 207 had a normal view. I changed my room but found Rm 411 was filthy. When I went down to the desk to complain, I learned my daughters' room, 207 had been double booked. A family of 5 walked in while my daughter was undressing and we discovered my daughters' room keys no longer worked. When we complained this time, there were two other couples complaining as well. One had been double booked. The other had been put in a filthy room for the 2nd time. It took the manager an hour to sort out our situation and we were not offered any restitution whatsoever for the inconvenience. Everyone (my husband and I, and also the two couples were moved to the 5th floor). Later, when my children attempted to have dinner at the hotel restaurant, Sauciety, they were told the restaurant had run out of food! That night, my husband realized he left something in Room 233 and when we were given a key by the front desk to retrieve his shoes from Room 233, we discovered why the film was on the window. The room sits directly above floodlights. The room was as bright as day. I couldn't believe the hotel would EVER put anyone in Room 233. If we hadn't moved, we would have been miserable. The drapes couldn't even shut out the floodlights! I would not let my worst enemy stay in this hotel.

• Liked — Checkout
  • Disliked — My entire stay
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hutto, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2008

I booked two separate reservations for this hotel online for a conference I was attending at the Gaylord National whose 2000 rooms were booked for the week I was to stay in the DC area. The first reservation I made with the Westin 1-800 number in April before the hotel even opened. I was concerned about the newness of the hotel but the reservation agent assured me it would be open and operational by the time I got there, I got a reservation number and e-mail confirmation so I had no worries. At the last minute I learned I would have to go out to the conference a day early and I added on an extra day to my reservation with the super-low web rate and made the comment on this reservation that I'd like to stay in the same room for the duration of my seven day stay.

Well I arrived at the hotel which was lovely but had a very small lobby/check in area (what I would expect in Chicago or New York but not in this sprawling National Harbor area -- check out the Gaylord up the street the lobby is three times bigger than the entire first floor). The front desk clerks were polite but promptly reported they could only find the reservation for one day, my webrate purchase and not the second 6 day reservation despite my e-mail confirmation number in hand. They told me they would investigate it and call me.

I went to the workout room which was actually quite lovely with a pretty view of the water (although I felt like a zoo exhibit with the sidewalk right out front) spacious, clean, and empty. When I returned to my room I stopped again at the front desk to clarify the situation about my reservation. There was the possibility after all that I would be kicked out of my room the next morning. Entirely different people at the front desk who stated they would look into it. Long story short, I had to badger them twice more about the reservation which they never found, but they assured me I would be able to stay at the hotel for the week at the rate promised. The hotel was so new the workers seemed overwhelmed by the convention traffic (even lunch in the restaurant took well over an hour). Only room service was timely at about 30-40 minutes for delivery. The running maps promised in the guidebook was not available and the front desk really had no suggestions on a safe place to jog. (The riverfront area is more like 1/2 mile and not the 2 miles they thought it was). The key cards do de-magnetize when placed against Ipods. And finally, on checkout, I was indeed charged for seven nights and not six even thought I had already prepaid for the first night under the separate reservation. It required two e-mails and two phone calls to clarify this situation.

All in all, I love the Westin Hotel. I am a Starwood Preferred Guest and in general, the hotels are clean, safe and have a high degree of service. This hotel needs to do a little more training on customer service and then it will live up to the reputation of the Westin Brand. Not to mention my overall complaints about the National Harbor Area (see my Gaylord National Review).

• Liked — Comfy beds, nice view
  • Disliked — Customer service, one restaurant and remarkably slow service there
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Asheville, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2008

The service was slow 45 min wait for Coffee at the Saucity, Cleaning horrible, Service. awful the only positive thing about this hote was that the Bellman was nice. I will NEVER go back. According to some of the other guest neither will they. My advise DONT DO IT> You will regret it.

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Westin Washington National Harbor? Share your experiences!