“Lovely hotel for our Honeymoon” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Neptune Pwani Beach Resort & Spa

You added Neptune Pwani Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Neptune Pwani Beach Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   P.O. Box 3400, Pwani Mchangani 3400, Tanzania   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Pwani Mchangani
Studley, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel for our Honeymoon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

This was our honeymoon beach hotel - so after 5 days of Safari in Kenya we flew to Zanzibar for a chill out and relax!

Our journey was a long one from Kenya, we picked up at 7:30am to drive back to Nairobi from Masa Mara, which took about 6 hours - and then we stayed in the Somak Lounge (our tour operators were Somak Travel) for a lunch and waited for the transfer - our transfer was abour 4pm for a 6:30 flight. The Flight was Precision Air and they are apparently known to be delayed!!! We headed to Zanzibar about 7ish, got there at 9pm and then our driver met us at the Airport. Be wary - people are waiting to 'help' with your bags and it can get a bit hectic!!! (also - i was amused that there wasnt a carosel to get your bags from, just a hatch and a man putting the bags on a table.....basic is the best description for the airport!!!)

It was still super hot in the evening so our lovely air con minibus to take us to resort was nice - we arrived about 45 mins later as the hotel is on the east side of the island. Its dark early so we could only make out the townships as we drove through and our driver advised us to not go out after sunset as it wasnt very safe. We had no intention of leaving our complex anyway!

We checked in - very smooth, and our bags were taken to our room which was a seaside room (number 456) close to the pools, and the snack bar! yumyum!

The hotel had kept a meal for us and we popped tot he restaurant - this was a nice touch as it was 10pm now and everything was closed and as you can imagine we were TIRED! (7:30am to 10pm is a long trip!)

Next day we looked around the grounds and it was lovely! a beautiful place, two large pool areas, snack bars, swim up bars, beach area (will come back to that!)

Room was nice - we had a large balcony, a bed with mozzie nets, large bathroom - with shower gels, hairdryer and lots of towels! and enough storage/cupboard space. Plugs are UK plugs although be warned - this hotel seemed to have a lot of powercuts!!!! most evenings there were 4 or 5 powercuts! Rooms have a TV with many english speaking channels. Mini fridge as well with pop and water - replenished each day.

Food - nice variety - we visited the Seafood restaurant as well as the hotel gave us a Honeymooners voucher, as honeymooners we also had a fruit platter, a certificate!!!?? and a bottle of bubbly which was a nice touch - but didnt turn up for 4 days! Better late than never!

We also went to the Pizza restaurant - which was a nice change from buffet, although the choice wasnt limited in the buffet! Frsh cooked items each meal, as well as soups, breads, cakes (yum!) and main meal choices. The waitresses/waiters work very hard here and seem to be working all day long!

We didnt visit the spa - it seemed quite reasonable in price though.

We didnt do any trips - too tired from Safari. The beach sellers on the beach want you to buy trips from them and are quite pushy. If you dont like them you can still relax on the beach, as there is a 'barrier' that they dont cross - which is due to the hotel guards. We went into the sea on our last day and got a bit annoyed by them - one asked my Husband that if he wasnt buying a trip (cos we were going home that day) if he could have his football shirt!? Er no. I will keep that for myself thanks! The beach also has low and high tides, and these are detailed at the towel hut!

Overall, i did love our honeymoon - it was lovely - the weather was amazing and the people are very friendly (JAMBO!) I think its a lovely 4 star accomodation but would not return again as i have so much more of the world to explore!

Room Tip: Seaside rooms - not as many steps as Seaview rooms. Suites are expensive, but not as nice views!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Washington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

Having just spent 6 days on a very busy but fab safari this hotel was the perfect end to an amazing holiday. Our room was right on the beach front next to the restaurant. I'd advise an upper room so you can sit on the balcony and enjoy the spectacular view out onto the palm trees and ocean (dream on). We were right next to the entertainment - the coconut band were good. Entertainment always finished before we went to bed so noise others complained about never bothered us and wasn't noisy anyway ! Rooms very clean, bed comfy but bit too hard for me, bathroom very spacious with double shower. Room sprayed and mosquito net put down every night by staff. Pools very clean and saw staff check chemicals regularly. Pool towels provided and changed when required. Swim up pool bar hubbies favourite lunch time place - didn't need to build up an appetite tho cos always enjoyed the meals- even my VERY fussy hubbie. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Managed to avoid the beach boys and had a walk out onto the sandbank - gave a beautiful view of the hotel from crystal clear water of the ocean. Very good selection of cocktails - different at each bar. Serengeti beer - cold, refreshing and tasty +++. Peace, relaxation, good entertainment and food - would definitely recommend this hotel

Room Tip: beach front location - upper level blocks had lots of steps.
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

Hotel: Sandies Neptune Pwani Beach, Zanzibar
Date of stay: 07.10.11
Duration: 6 days
2 adults
Cost: approx. £3,000

ROOMS:
Light, airy, clean. Not much cupboard or drawer space. Good deco, shower and bathroom. Sparse mini-bar – 5 soft drinks). Bit of a trek up lots of stairs to our room, so if you have any disability, you must be sure to mention it.

BEACH:
Lovely white soft sand but sea was quite ‘reedy’ around the ankles increasing /decreasing according to the tides. Beach boys (local hawkers dresses as Maasai Warriors) are a constant nuisance some not even selling anything! Although they are not permitted to come right up to the hotel sun loungers, they are irritating and distracting if you want to chill out and relax. They try to get your attention by calling out to you and are mostly multi-lingual. The best way to handle them is to totally ignore them and eventually they will leave you alone. However, it does spoil the ambience a little. If you are a beach person and can put up with this, you will be fine!!

SEA:
Lovely sea, didn’t see any real nasties except in low tide you can actually walk to a sand dune where you may come across black sea urchins or anenomies. A little bit reedy but otherwise okay.

POOL:
There are two great pools!! One near the Madafu bar and another (much nicer) quieter one near the Restaurant. There were no kids during our stay so it really was peaceful.

The hotel grounds are stunning and beautifully maintained.

STAFF/SERVICE:
Excellent friendly staff in the Restaurant and Madafu Bar – they couldn’t do enough for you! However beach staff who were meant to help get your sun lounger and mattress, etc. were extremely lazy (choosing instead to spend their time sitting amongst the shade of the trees and service was non-existent).

FOOD:
Fab!! Gorgeous daily selection particularly the soups and fish dishes which were divine! Something for everyone. Only local beer, red and white wine, no rosè served in the restaurants.

LOCATION:
Good. Only 45 mins away from the airport. Smooth pick-up.

SPA:
6/10. Not bad, the treatments themselves were good but the whole experience lacked ambience and those nice little touches that make you feel like you’ve been really spoilt!! I had a full body scrub, full body massage, body wrap, facial and a hair treatment. A body scrub and body massage for 90 min costs USD $146. The therapist really annoyed me by presenting me with the bill before even starting the treatment(s).

I do not go to Spa’s in the UK and tend to indulge in massages and body scrubs when I am on holiday. I have had them in the Maldives, Dubai, Penang, Phuket, Hua Hin, Sri Lanka so I have lots to compare Sandies Spa with … surprisingly, they never asked me:
 What sort of massage I wanted (invigorating/soothing).
 A choice as to what oils I wanted.
 No medical questionnaire – this is standard practice – quite handy especially if you have any allergies or health issues!
I asked what ingredients were being used, but the description was always vague and nondescript.

My therapist (from Bali) lacked finesse and certain etiquette (if you are a regular spa user, you will know exactly what I mean) – she made me undress (and put on the disposable knickers!) all in the treatment room which had no blinds or curtains and was just too bright to fully relax and enjoy the treatments. No locker, bathrobe or slippers were offered despite the brochure telling you they were provided!

OTHER:
Big negative was the issue I experienced with The Beach Towels. Each guest is given a card for one beach towel, so my husband and I had two cards. You hand in the card(s) and also sign the log for ‘two towels out’ and then at the end of the day ‘two towels returned’ and you get your cards back, repeating the process the next day.

I asked if I could have an extra two towels as I have very long thick hair which takes ages to dry. The Pool Supervisor refused, despite my offer to pay a refundable deposit which is standard practice all over the world in all of the 5-star hotels I have ever stayed in!! The very next day, the Pool Supervisor introduced a New Procedure for an extra towel: a form for guests to complete and a charge of USD$5 non-refundable deposit!! This seemed rather petty-minded to me and were solely the actions of the Pool Supervisor. In fact, the local pool staff seemed highly embarrassed by the whole thing, and I certainly didn’t go on holiday to have a row about 2 poxy towels! It appear Hotel Procedure comes before Guest Satisfaction.

One nice touch: upon our arrival, we missed dinner as the restaurant had closed and they sent a tray of food to our room.

SUMMARY:
Average hotel, but I think you could probably find better elsewhere!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade! Try to get a room situated on the grounds (not up the hill and up countless sta...
Cordoba, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We went to this hotel on our honeymoon and we loved it!
It has perfect gardens, huge swimming pools and nice bars.
The food changes all the time and you never get tired of it.
But the best part of it is the people that works there, that makes a big difference. All the staff is very kind and they always welcome you with a big (honest) smile. Asante sana!

england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

We stayed here for 9 nights after Safari, I have to say Initally i was very impressed as the grounds and rooms are beautiful. After a safari which was quite basic it was a welcome relief to see the stunning location and grounds.
I was shocked to find that there was no A la Carte options included in our stay and that we had to pay extra to visit. I feel at the price we paid a least 1 free of charge visit should have been included. We did pay the extra to go several times and the food in here was amazing and was as expected. The Jumbo prawns were awesome and the biggest and best i have ever tasted and well worth the £30.00 I paid for them. My husband had chicken and Garlic mash again amazing. The service in here was a cut above and I wanted to dine here every night. Great service and food in here it was like dining in a differant hotel.
The buffet was quite varied but as real foodies we struggled, after being on Safari for 5 days we just wanted our choice so most of the time we paid extra for it, which we felt was worth it.
The beach is only part private and the beach boys do get on your nerves they dont leave you alone, I decided to ignore them once I had said I wasn t interested. They will try anything to get your attention, shouting, singing & waving their products. I did find that once they had been told they did back off for that day.
The hotel has some silly rules, you can only have 1 towel each for the beds and if you want another theres a non refundable deposit ! Honeymooners get into the A la Carte for a meal but it s a set meal which cost more than several of the preferred options on the list. If you tried to ask to swap the meal you were told it was the law.
The hotel providded entertainment although it wasn t up to much, also they held markets selling crafts etc. nice to walk around.
The rooms are nice although there were some area that could have been completed with more time, ie some of the grouting wasnt up to much and some of the fixtures and fitting s were not in keeping with the contemporary look of the hotel.
We did have a sea view it was a nice blocked as there were rooms in front of us but it was nice all the same. The balcony was really large and sea facing.
We did the trip to Zanzibar Stone Town and it rained all day which was ashame, there wasn t much to see and parts were quite dirty. We did see where Freddie Mercury was born though.
All in all we enjoyed our stay but felt that the hotel had settled with being good instead of being really good. Some of the silly rules did annoy us! At times the place exceeded our expectations and at times it didnt.

Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

We enjoyed this resort. We travelled as a family with our 16 yr old son. Everything I had read was pretty much true and the pictures are exactly what you see when you arrive. We had 2 upper Seaside rooms which is great considering its hard to see the "ocean" from the lower levels. I wouldn't recommend the villa as we were right next to one and for the price its not worth it. The "Seaview" rooms are up the hill with many stairs. The rooms were very nice except we had an ant infestation on the last day. The ground were well kept. The staff was wonderful!! The food selection was also great! The beach boys try to sell you items but they were very friendly and amazed at the fact we were black Americans living in South Africa and taking a holiday in Zanzibar.

We did 3 excrsions. Safari Blue was wonderful. The owner/operator Eleanor and her staff was wonderful. We booked the trip directly with her prior to our departure. It is cheeper than booking through the hotel. We also did the Prison Island and Stone Town. Prison Island is a waste of time unless you want to see giant turtles....Nothing else is there. The stone town tour was very informative and educational. Be prepared to do a lot of walking during this tour. We had lunch at a local hotel. The beach area was very clean. The pools were also very clean. We are looking forward to returning one day.

This is a great AI deal!! Only complaint if any is the airport but then again This Is Africa (TIA). Very small and the waiting area to depart was VERY HOT!!

Room Tip: Rooms to the left of the reception are away from the entertainment/pool area. Upper Seaside rooms h...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We came here on our honeymoon after a safari and climbing Mt Kilimanjiro. It was a perfect getaway, the hotel was lovely, grounds beautiful and staff very helpful and friendly. If you want relaxtion, some nice food in a great setting would not hesitate to recommend this place.
We took advantage of the al la carte and pizzeria restaurants and would certainly recommend to add a bit of variety. The buffet was always very good with plenty of variety, a good selection of cocktails and some great local beer, what more do you need.
The only downside as mentioned in other reviews are the beach sellers, but after we ignored them for the first day they generally left us alone. There isnt much going on in an evening but we didnt come here expecting or looking for much, that said some of the shows were entertaining. Great honeymoon destination...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Neptune Pwani Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!