“Worst hotel stay ever. Avoid at all costs.” 1 of 5 stars

Budgetel Inn & Suites Atlantic City
234 East White Horse Pike, Galloway, NJ 08205   |
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Galloway
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Worst hotel stay ever. Avoid at all costs.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Let me begin by saying that if I could rate this worse than terrible, such as deplorable, I would. From the moment my boyfriend and I stepped on the premise and until the moment we left, we had a horrible experience.

First, the hotel entrance door is constantly locked, and you have to wait until the desk staff opens it for you. There was only one person working as a desk staff the entire time, and he was extremely inhospitable, rude, and at times, verbally hostile to us.

When we asked about the free continental breakfast (which is advertised on Budgetel website & on Hotwire.com), he told us there is no continental breakfast. When we complained, he told us to call Hotwire.com to complain because he is tired of the website having the wrong information. He refused to apologize for the inaccurate information, and he kept interrupting us. In fact, he said that since we booked through Hotwire.com, it should be taken up with that company and not with Budgetel.

He also printed out our stay receipt wrong. When queried about the mistake, he told us it didn't matter that the receipt said we were only staying for one day (when in fact, we paid for two days).

Afterwards, we entered our room to find it in grimy condition. The AC unit seemed like the filter had never been changed, and the room smelled like smoke (even though it was a "no smoking" room). I felt itchy during my entire stay there; it did not seem too clean. Also, on the bottom side of one of the walls, there were stains that were never even cleaned up.

The second day of our stay, our beds were made; however, we never received extra toiletries (basic things like soap and toilet paper), and we only received a face cloth to use for a hand towel. The toilet was also in barely working condition, where it took five minutes before you could flush the toilet again.

At the time for us to check-out, we never received a receipt for our final charges, and we were refused to be provided with one when we asked.

I have stayed in other economy hotels and inns, and never once have I had such a negative experience as I did at Budgetel. I wouldn't even want my enemies to stay at this place. There are many other hotels and inns within a mile of this hotel. I strongly recommend you choosing one of those, or even going camping for these other options will be a much better experience.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

North Tonawanda, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed at the Budgetel on the same trip that started my "writing career" for tripadvisor. Since my first review for for the last hotel on the trip, I decided to go back to my travel journal and do a few more reviews. My entry for this motel was "Awful hotel in Absecon." I had to go back to my credit card bill to get the name. I do remember that it was not particularly clean and that it was damp. If it hadn't been so late we might have demanded our money back and left. I hope the new management has improved things.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Staten Island, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

I found this place online for $28 dollars a night
(First red flag) I chose to stay. I go to my room 206 and got smacked in the face with a moldy stench. I lay down on the bed and instand itchines I go to the shower and it seems they do not receive many people because the water was full dark brown rust. The toilet could only be flush once every five minutes. The towels were dingy and almost see through. Now the tv; an old tube box with only 6 working channels. Never again will I stay here. STAY AWAY!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

since this hotel is so filthy it serves no other purpose than to be a parking lot. i am concluding my weekend at this "establishment" and i couldn't be more regretful. first, my family and i reserved three rooms for three nights for $95. the manager told us it was for only two nights and kept trying to sell us the jacuzzi room for an extra $20. we declined but he still was persistent. the staff have proven to be incompetent, lazy and very apathetic about their place of employment. my uncle was about to take a shower and the door was so outdated that it locked him in. my aunt attempted to help him by ramming her shoulder into the door. didnt work. i called the front desk so the manager can bring a key or some other tool to open the door. he walked in and made a sad attempt at opening the door. he ran back out the room to try something else. it took my aunt pulling a "mcgyver" and jimmying the door with a plastic knife. im concerned because what if no one was here when my uncle was locked in? what if there was a fire?? you would have to either bang on the floor or wall and hope there is some one there to help, hurt yourself by breaking down the door or hope the maid comes. (to be honest, i havent seen one yet)
Speaking of the bathroom. the shower is very unpredictable. every single one of us got burned because the water changed temperature suddenly. two of us almost fell in the tub because of the hot water.
my cousin took the jacuzzi room after the manager offered it for free. then promptly kicked her out the very next morning for a paying customer. he banged on her door when he knew she was in there with her husband and 11 month old baby. the baby even had a hard time sleeping because of the overload of mold and mildew. my cousin couldnt even stay the second night. she left in the middle of the day, child and hubby in tow.
i believe this place is where drug dealers hang out and hookers get laid. i was unfortunate enough to have hornballs next door because they kept me up half the night with the headboard banging. my phone doesnt work so i couldn't call and complain.
my uncle's fridge door fell on his feet. Poor guy fell down the stairs. im glad this hazard site hasn't caused more serious damage.
The tvs are old. the lamp had a ripped plug. i told the manager about it and he said he took it out. its still in the room. the plug is a safety issue. you could be electrocuted or your child. wallpaper is falling off the walls. so is the paint.

please avoid if humanly possible. this place should be used as a set on the show "the walking dead" but im not sure if i would come back, even during a zombie apocalypse.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Atlantic City, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Extremely ghetto and nasty. Housekeeping failed to properly clean up. Bed smelled or feces. I left an hour after being there. I also contemplated if the place even had housekeeping or just made the bed (same sheets) after guests left.

• Stayed October 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Its was very nice, clean and it comfort... The staff was very nice and professional, polite and knowledgable and took their time to address any questions or needs that arose.

!!!Overall, our stay was very positive and we would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Clearwater, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

A very good experience. i stayed with my family in February 2013 and i really enjoyed the stay. good hospitality ,amenities, closed to all attraction . will come back again...desk staff was very friendley and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Budgetel Inn & Suites Atlantic City? Share your experiences!