“OK...It's not the Ritz Carlton...” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 18 hotels in Galloway
Boston, MA
“OK...It's not the Ritz Carlton...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

But, if you're looking for someplace decent and well-priced for a short stay, you should be very pleased with what you find here.

I find myself in this part of New Jersey to take care of some family business. I needed an inexpensive, utilitarian place to stay with a refrigerator, a microwave and a bed that wouldn't cause me to need a chiropractor in the morning. Given that those were my criteria, I got much more than I hoped for.

After driving interminably from Florida, to literally pull off the Garden State Parkway, and be at your hotel is a great pleasure. Despite my arriving at an insane hour, the lovely and sleep-deprived staff person, Amelia, was more accommodating than anyone has the right to expect at that hour.

The room and bed were perfectly adequate and comfortably clean. The refrigerator actually cools and the air conditioner keeps my room at my usual 'meat cooler' temperature. I've dealt with much worse at hotels where I paid five times the rate I am paying here.

I have, by necessity, had to make some rather odd requests to management and they have been more than happy to help, where I have received stares of disbelief that I would interrupt their day at so-called 'boutique' hotels.

It is close to everything I require, and it has a perfectly fine Internet connection.

You can certainly stay at prettier places, and you could certainly stay at more expensive places, but if you are simply looking for somewhere to park yourself while you get a good night's sleep, or a few things done, I can't imagine why you would drive a mile further down the road and pay twice the price.

There was even an error with my rate---That is, they UNDERCHARGED me. Not only did they not reverse that decision, but they were almost ridiculously apologetic when they asked me to pay a bit more for my second week, rather than the full price they should have charged me in the first place.

Again, if you want a decent place to stay, this is it. Want lots of frills and a mini bar you'll be charged $7 for some chips you could buy for $1 in supermarket, there are dozens of others.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

22 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Red Bank, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

first let me say I travel a lot and got to say that the person who wrote that has to be nuts I have stayed there many times and the staff is top notch , rooms are clean check in is fast,the manager even went out of his was to call bobby flays for me to go to dinner with my wife what more can I ask for and he gave his cell I need any thing to and I just booked again. called him personally , he took care of right from his cell phone he said your my customer for life so we will take care of you ,lets talk also about hose keeping the room was very clean sheets were nice and the bathroom looked and smelled very clean and hosekeeping indrduced her self to me her name was amilla ad asked me if I needed anything also call me if you need anything so what I m saying call them there are on the money here ...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Haydenville, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed here in late July 2013

We picked this hotel after searching and sifting through many. I was hopeful because of the previous 3 reviews (before Veronica L's review had popped up)... we were trying to go away for a weekend without spending $150 a night, and this was it. The low price and good reviews were too good to be true!!

Our room was right off the balcony.

It took us at least 10 card swipes before the door would unlock and open for us (I counted and am not exaggerating).

Upon walking in it's DARK. No switches to put any lights on. The blinds, despite pictures indicated for this hotel, were one single piece, which did not open. It took us a few hours to realize that the reason our lamps didn't turn on is because someone had unplugged them..one of the many things you'd think room service (if there was any) would check. The only switches are by the bathroom sink and toilet in the back so we used those until we figured out the others were unplugged.

Everything has the appearance that it was last updated in 1990........and hasn't changed since. The moldings are falling apart, all cement caulking is eroded. The light switches are disgusting looking. The chair had stains on it. The curtain was a black out curtain with holes in it, and the shower was ancient looking/full of hard water stains.

My fiance, who is not a germaphobe like me, wouldn't touch anything. We placed clean (hopefully) towels on the counters and bedside tables for our personal items, and turned down the spare bed to put our suitcase items on the (again hopefully) clean sheet. We didn't even want to touch the TV remote; but upon turning the TV on we found that all channels were black and white lines anyways.

Speaking of the beds, they rest on flat smooth platforms not attached to the headboards. Essentially, the box spring just slides across it as one goes to sit on the (lumpy) mattress, so it's very easy for any part of the mattress and box spring to be off the platform at any given moment- getting on/off the bed.. sleeping.. you know, those type of normal things. This may explain why we found a soda can full of cigarette butts on the floor against the platform, what with the box spring in the way and the lights not working, how can anybody see to clean up cigarette butts from a non-smoking room? Which smelled like cigarettes of course. Additionally, there are no fitted sheets, just regular ones tucked in, which of course become untucked in the night, so you enjoy the feel of used mattress... ick.

The toilet looked old but ours was clean. Aside from being an old shower, the water pressure was not very good and the water alternated between burning and freezing.. maybe someone else was taking a shower while I did.

The rest of the room was not very clean. There were used napkins under the bed, a dresser drawer full of plastic forks and take out menus- and surprise, a cigarette!, m&ms wrappers and other garbage behind/under things.. evidently not cleaned. And on the morning we were to leave, there was one baby tiny itsy bitsy... cockroach next to our TV. Awesome.

On the positive note- The AC, while semi-loud, kept the room cool, and it was pretty quiet at night. The relative distance to Atlantic City was only 10-15 mins away, which was perfect for driving. Check in and out was easy. The location and ease of access to the hotel was easy and good. If old outdatedness, lack of cleaning, and the potential for small bugs does not bother you, this is the place for you. We did this to try to save money on the hotel and have more to spend on our vacation but learned our lesson- next time we'll pay the $150.

I'm not making any of this up, neither of us would ever stay here again or recommend this to anybody. I am convinced someone was paid to write positive reviews on this place, because there really isn't much positive aside from the price, which isn't worth it. Look elsewhere, there are hundreds of hotels between Galloway and Atlantic City.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
methuen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Spent Saturday evening there with my kids; I am not pretentious by any means, need to travel on a budget but expect the place the be at least clean. The sheets on one of the beds still had hairs on them, EWE! The toilet was not cleaned, there was left over food in the freezer, there was sticky stuff all over the front of the TV, the TV was not working-they did come immediately to fix that. There were no fitted sheets on the bed, there was splattered blood on the wall next to the second bed, the chairs were filthy...The location is ideal, on a main strip with lots of restaurants, the motel is well lit. There was trash on the ground near the dumpster, was still there the next day-no one bothered to pick it up, motel is 10 minutes from Atlantic City. I ended up taking my kids out to dinner and stayed out as long as possible and left the motel early in the AM to limit our time spent there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Elverson, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

First time staying here and I was very impressed. The first thing when I walked in I was greeted by the owner Neil (who is very friendly) and was informed that he had upgraded our room for free. Nice clean hotel with very comfortable beds. Definitely a good experience and good price. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Red Bank, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

i was greeted very nice my room was on the first floor bed was nice room was very clean and i had a nice stay the staff was very helpful was close to were i needed to be i the manager neil was very funny ..

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Its a good motel. the price is negotiable. the desk's friendly. its quite. the internet's good. stayed there for 3 days.no major problem.. however the breakfast was not satisfactory. It dint fill my tummy (giggles) .

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Rodeway Inn Galloway? Share your experiences!