“golf & hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Galloway
Galloway
“golf & hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

great location and golf courses. very good value. rooms could use an update. No dining option on premises, other than small, uninviting grille room. Main Dining room was not open for dinner. What a shame.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Danielle S, Front Desk Supervisor at Stockton Seaview Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
We appreciate your feedback. As you’ve noticed, our lobby was renovated recently. This was the first phase of our renovation schedule. Our plan is to complete additional phases of renovation each year in the winter months. The renovations should address all of the issues you’ve pointed out. We’d love to see you in the spring.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Arrived here on a Friday afternoon with my husband as we were attending a wedding down the road. To sum up...first impression of the grounds and exterior was lovely. Unfortunately, the interior was dimly lit, decor was overly formal for a seaside resort (in my opinion), outdated, and run down. The service was almost non existent, just a few smiles would have gone a long way. And the food sub par.

Now for the longhand version...
We walk inside leaving the beautiful sunny summer day behind to find a dark lobby, which in my opinion is overly formal given the "seaside" location. The front desk is at the very back of this large lobby behind a dividing wall with a chaotic group of representatives working behind it. Check in was quick. We then proceed to the "grille" for lunch and ask if there is a place to eat outside, she says no, so we sit down in the dark (again) restaurant which again has a decor more fitting for a wine cellar than a seaside resort, the floor and walls are exposed brick making the small restaurant very loud. After sitting for a few minutes we have to get out of there so we ask for our food to go, so we might take it out to the terrace to eat in the sun. A full 25 minutes later we have our food and head outside. After lunch I head to the pool only to discover that we could have ordered lunch outside at the pool, not sure why the hostess at the grille didn't mention this as I was clearly dressed for the pool. At the pool I spend time with fellow wedding guests and discover I should have received a welcome bag with shuttle instructions upon check in. When I get back to the room I call the front desk to ask about that and am told to come down and get it anytime. I'm sorry but in any level of hotel if you forgot to give me something I needed at check in I would expect it hand delivered to my room upon realizing the mistake, so I request it be brought to me as I am busy getting dressed for the wedding that night, Jamie agrees but tells me it will probably be awhile because the bellhop stand is very busy right now (way to make me feel special Jamie). As I am preparing for the wedding the hair dryer continually cuts out on me, after much back and forth with Jamie and maintenance (totaling about 45 minutes) I receive a new hair dryer. Important to point out that I have not seen an 'old school', weak, attached-to-the-wall hair dryer in a "nice" hotel in many years, this one was borderline vintage. As most women know you allot a specific amount of time for getting ready for an event and 45 minutes waiting for a blow dryer (while your hair is awkwardly air drying) doesn't usually get factored in. Much like the welcome bag incident I am not met with any apologies for my trouble, nor am I met with much urgency to fix the problems. While waiting for my blow dryer I have a lot of time to inspect the room, noticing the multiple cracks on the ceiling, poor paint and plaster jobs, and a terribly outdated bathroom complete with moldy shower curtain liner. The next morning we arrive for the breakfast buffet in the main dining room and are told they won't be able to seat us for 20 minutes even though approximately 40% of the tables are free. Once seated we discover dirty dishes and a stained/tattered table cloth. The waiter came to fill our water glasses and didn't even ask if we wanted coffee, we had to prompt him for it. The food at the buffet was awful, undercooked scrambled eggs, burnt bacon, and the worst assortment of cereal I have ever seen. Not a single "real" cereal was offered, just sugar coated crap, I mean just a box of plain cheerios or raisin bran would have sufficed. We spent a couple minutes downing the few edible bits of breakfast and then got the heck out of there. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, nor would I come back myself.

One last complaint...important to note, the Red Door Salon and Spa that they tout on their website is not actually in the resort it's a part of the resort next door, so you have to actually leave the grounds either on foot or in a car to get there. A bit misleading as this is not mentioned anywhere on the website.

Room Tip: Don't go!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your feedback. Our plan is to complete additional phases of renovation each year in the off season months. With the owner, we are investigating installing proper ventilation in the hotel wings, as well as modulating the existing ventilation systems.
virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

My husband, two children and I just returned from a lovely five-night stay at the Stockton Seaview Resort. Before our vacation, I read the other reviews posted on this site and was unsure of whether we would have an enjoyable time. We were pleased from beginning to end and will definitely consider returning. We are a family that loves older, historic properties so this resort was perfect for us. The grounds are beautifully maintained and the pool area and common areas were very well kept. Our room and bathroom were very clean and well furnished. Every member of the staff we encountered during our stay was very pleasant. A few times we had issues of insufficient towels in the bathroom, but a quick call was all that was needed and housekeeping arrived at our door within a few minutes to deliver what we requested. The front desk also followed up with a phone call to make sure our request was fulfilled. We were mainly here for the golf, which was wonderful, but there were many other activities as well, all of which were included at no additional charge (including equipment): mini-golf, tennis, pool, ping pong, volleyball, basketball. The golf rates were very family-friendly, especially when we booked our tee times in the late afternoon. The pool and hot tub areas were very well maintained and there were always plenty of towels and chairs available. There were several umbrellas too and getting one of them was not a problem if you were at the pool by 11:00 a.m. Some other reviewers complained about a damp musty smell at the hotel. I can say that the game room on the lower level definitely smelled very musty, but I did not notice it anywhere else. Our room was on the 2nd floor of the bay wing and there was no unpleasant odor in the hallways or in our room. I'm glad we took a chance on this hotel and hope to be able to return next summer.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff. I am happy to learn that you had a memorable visit at your home away from home. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We had been here a number of years ago with another couple and found it lovely but a little worn. It may have been that the weather wasn't beautiful as it was this weekend and we missed out on playing the Pines course. This time we played both--but that's for another review. From the moment we entered the lobby, with the door held by a gentleman in plus fours, we felt very welcomed. Our registration was quick and the staff member who signed us in (afraid I do not recall his name) was very friendly, informative and a great representative for the property. Our room was lovely and roomy and although there was a desk for work (which was great if I had been working but was not) it did not have a great seating area to sip a glass of wine before dinner. Still, the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom spacious and well appointed and the large windows let in ample light and a great view over the front lawn and Bay course. The breakfasts (first morning we had a la carte, second the half buffet) were good, impeccably served and offered good variety. Lunch in the little area to the left of the lobby was good, though the brick flooring made it a challenge to scoot your chair in and out from the table. The golf staff was great, the resort store had a greeting card to fit the bill for something I had forgotten and the pro shop had great selection for men AND women. Golf itself was terrific and varied between the two courses. Loved all the little historic plackards showing information about golf greats. Spent one afternoon at a slightly crowded but clean pool. The ATM was regrettably down for the two days we were there but a nearby shop had one available. We plan to return again next year.

Room Tip: we selected a room in the older portion of this 100 year old hotel and found it charming and spaciou...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
We are pleased to hear about your experience. Thank you for noticing our efforts in striving for greater quality. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future and very much appreciate your patronage.
Doylestown,PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Like taking a step back in time. This facility has improved over the past few years. It is owned by Stockton State College and you can tell the college is investing money. The main lobby area is nice, great outdoor seating area where you can see some of the Atlantic City hotels in the far distance. The food is above average (but not great). Staff is friendly. I don't play golf, but hear the course is very good. LPGA is held here in June.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Danielle S, Front Desk Superviosr at Stockton Seaview Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We will continue to enhance our products and services to ensure a memorable experience for our guests. The Stockton Seaview Hotel & Golf Club is the area’s only full-service golf resort set upon 670 acres of Woodland Park just across Reed’s Bay from Atlantic City. It’s a historic place with an atmosphere of history and tradition more usually found in the Old World such as St. Andrews, Gleneagles and Carnoustie. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

After many years of coming here this year was a big disappointment with the service and the level of care. We arrived and the sheets were dirty on the bed, the next set was also dirty with holes in them. Finally the third try was clean but no top sheet was given and a shorter duvet. Gardening began at 7a.m. on a Monday morning. This is a resort and we took a vacation here to relax. The front desk was not helpful on any of these incidents.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for not living up to your expectation. We will continue to improve upon our product and service to provide a better experience in the future
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

We've been here before the first time timeshare promo we were so impressed we book a second trip. Third time we booked we had a horrible experience; we felt very uncomfortable and even a little discriminated. Honestly our trip this time was after a 2 year hiatus and with much trepidation it is only because we have family in Mayslanding & Atlantic City that we gave Stockton Seaview another try and SO GLAD WE DID!! Walk into this beautiful Resort AND IF YOU ARE LUCKY, You'll meet CHAZ, unbelievable energy, great personality, NEW MANAGER, and after we got to our room he called to verify if everything was in order...Can I tell you this a lost art??!! And in addition, the staff is better with Cystoner Sevice tney actually greet you even in the hallways offering eye contact & smiles. Rooms are clean (thank you housekeeping) and their dining area offers Breakfast Buffet or eat off Menu both scrumptious (thank you Chef) and finally to our Waitress didn't get her name (shame on us) but we know she is a NY Giant Fan (grrrr, I'm Dallas!!) Seaview is close to all attractions (AC & Smithville)..Don't miss out book your next Getaway here!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff, especially Chas. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Been to Stockton Seaview Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!