“Anticipating our return.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Galloway
Montauk, New York
“Anticipating our return.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

As with a few other reviews, my family stayed here during a seminar held at the property.
I don't have any personal experience with the contracting or business dealings regarding our "conference" for lack of a better term, so I will not speak to that. ( Though, one could surmise that since our group and it's few hundred attendee's go back each year, the business end of it must be top notch. )
From the standpoint of a participant I will say they treated our group exceedingly well. The staff is always around and everyone I came in contact was professional, courteous and set this hotel apart from others I have stayed in recently.
The only negatives that I can come up with for our 4 night stay were quite minor.
1. One of our room keys wasn't programmed correctly ( though once remedied, we had no problem with them again unlike some other key card hotels )
2. The lunch buffet was a bit light on choice and the burgers that I had were dry. The others in my party for that lunch all felt the same way and we all chose to go off property for lunch the following days.
3. The lunch buffet had a 20% "gratuity" automatically tacked on. I am not adverse to tipping @ 20%. But I am against a tip being automatically added to a bill. But a 20% tip should be reserved for a pretty high level of service. Being seated, having a plate cleaned off the table and having to go get our coffee while other tables were having it brought ( as well as juice ), 20% ( or $7.20 ) is not an appropriate tip for a buffet.

Now, the good points.
The rooms were a comfortable size and clean.
The breakfast buffet was very good each morning.
The dinner buffet a highlight of each day with good choices and solid service. I believe this was considered a catered event so judge this how you may... it was excellent.

The entire grounds were very clean and well maintained. Both pool areas were well kept and being this was summer the indoor pool was rarely used, it is directly connected to s shower area, which was nice to have.
The outdoor pool and hot tub were utilized quite a lot and while they ran out of towels at times later into the evening, they did bring more out fairly quickly when informed of this.
The hot-tub has a lot of jets... having been there for an martial arts seminar, this was quite welcome. I was recently at another hotel that had a gigantic hot tub, but the jets were sparse and weak... not so at Seaview.
There is a fairly large "family center" with 2 pool tables, ping pong, air hockey and a tv. It really has the feel of a converted basement, in many ways it is.... Some might see this room as having a bunch of problems. One pool table was missing a ball, the air hockey is not level, the ping pong paddles are a bit chewed up etc.... but I personally enjoyed it, because it felt comfortable and inviting, the chairs and sofa were quite comfortable as well and it certainly became a place where some of the younger vacationers would camp out and use their computers... it actually felt like basement game rooms that I grew up with in friends houses. These things were all easily overlooked. I saw a bunch of families down there having a good time as did ours... a lot of laughing and smiles... and that is what really matters. These aren't pool tables and air hockey that you have to continuously feed quarters into which is another huge plus.
Parking is ample, you can have it valet parked... but the lot isn't far at all.
The shop has plenty of snacks and other items you might need during your stay.
The outdoor pool and hot tub has an official closing time but no one said anything about it as far as I know, but I would assume that would change if the people using them became loud and they are within the courtyard surrounded by wings of guest rooms, mine being among them and we had our windows open all night... we didn't notice any noise coming from the pool area.

There is a gym which was well equipped and clean... all the machines appeared to be working well. I'm not a gym rat, but used it a few times and found it to be everything that I could expect. Locker rooms and showers are just down the hall and are large and well stocked.

Check out was a bit of a mess, but I cannot really blame the hotel staff for that, because we had quite a lot of people all trying to leave the same day and more or less within an hour or so of each other. It was jammed up for a little while, but you might want to just keep that in your own mind if you are staying with or at the same time as a conference or other large group... If you can check out earlier in the morning before the rush, it would benefit you.

The area surrounding the hotel seems a little run down. There are a few places to eat within a 5 minute drive... but nothing I found at least was worth recommending, outside of a single cafe about a mile or so north on the same side of the road. I apologize that I cannot remember the name of it, but there isn't much up there so it's hard to miss... it is right next door to a gas station.

Atlantic City as well as beaches are around 15 minutes by car. I don't believe anything is within walking distance outside of a pub almost directly across the street ( though I don't know anyone that went to it ) and a chiropractor.

Edwin Forsythe nature preserve is a short ride (5 minutes ) up the road and was well worth the trip... I suggest that anyone that likes nature take a little time out of their stay and get up there... during a migratory season I imagine it to be exceptional... as it was, it was a terrific visit.

I look forward to our seminar next year not only because of our event but in part because we enjoyed our stay at the Seaview. If I had reason to be in the area in the future, I would likely choose to stay here over anywhere else in the area including the hotels in Atlantic City.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Guest_Services_7688, Guest Relations Manager at Stockton Seaview Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to learn that you had yet another memorable visit at your home away from home during your conference. We sincerely appreciate your patronage and look forward to seeing you in the very near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

For the fifth year in a row , our group picked the Seaview for our seminar. The hotel is charming and comfortable. The housekeepers keep everything spic and span clean. The staff goes far above and beyond to make our large [ 300+] group feel at home. Many staffers welcome us back each year like VIP guests.The buffet breakfast is amazing in both quality and quantity. Can't wait to return next year in 2014.

Quebec City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We loved this place! We stayed here because of its location, 15mins to Atlantic City and 25mins to Ocean City. We wanted somewhere outside of the resorts but close enough to get to the beaches and back without long treks in the car. This has everything you could need for a family (although we didn't use them as the weather was fantastic). 2 pools, tennis courts, table tennis, pool tables etc. The "all you can eat" breakfast is really good value (they'll even give you containers for the kids to fill up and take with them). We didn't get to try the evening restaurant as there is a great seafood restaurant 10mins away. I've seen a few reviews criticizing the décor, yes it could do with a coat of paint in some areas, and yes maybe the carpet does need changing but hey get a life, it's clean the staff are friendly and you'll have trouble getting better value for money in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We enjoyed the peace and quiet at this charming hotel! We were minutes away from Ocean City so we were able to go to the beach, come back for a jazz concert on the grounds of the hotel and then hit the boardwalk in AC. In less than 24 hours we were able to cram in all the things we had been trying to do all summer! The meal from room service was outstanding!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

What a charmingly old-fashioned hotel. My family had a lovely time, even though we don't golf. We enjoyed the outdoor pool, the pretty grounds, the big wonderful breakfast buffet (worth the money), the nice and accommodating staff. Some little things that could be upgraded...decor in rooms, gym was hot and not as clean as i would have liked, took a while to get served a drink at the bar although the bartender was lovely. But for a Tripadvisor deal that totaled 109/night with a $25/day food credit, you can't beit it. Complaints are nitpicks though, overall, it is a great place to spend a couple of nights. We had dinner and walked the Boardwalk in AC, and we went to the beach in Absecon, which was so pretty. We'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: Our room was VERY far from the elevator, ask for one close to the center of the hotel
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I have been at this hotel before but this time was even better than previous visits. The facility itself is so beautiful and so lovingly cared for. There are so many spaces to explore in and around the hotel. Every area is lovely: the lobby, the restaurants, the outdoor seating areas, the pool area, the room. The staff, each and every one, made us feel so welcome all the time. The Grille Room has a small but good menu; the watermelon salad is amazing! The pool was so clean and it seems to be never crowded because it is such a large area. The area offers many options also: Smithville is 5 minutes away; Atlantic City is 15 minutes. And there is a great Wawa down the road! I cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: We asked for an upper room and got a room on the top floor overlooking the pool with a small balcony...
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

My stay at the Stockton Seaview was perfect for a relaxing, quick getaway from NYC. It is just 15 minutes from Atlantic City so it was easy to enjoy the nightlife, shopping and restaurants in AC as well as the quiet of the resort. We came without kids and husbands. We enjoyed LONG morning fitness walks around the golf course. Breakfast was very good, but it could get pricey if you do a $18 buffet everyday. Romanelli's and Shea's nearby are also great options. Dinner was also good. The hotel and restaurant staff were very helpful. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Check out their special offers, we got the special One Week August rate, so it made the trip really worth the price.

Room Tip: Check out special and offers on their website.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Stockton Seaview Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!