“large space, nice breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Relax Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   739 S 2nd Ave, Galloway, NJ 08205-9542   |
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Galloway
clinton, ny
“large space, nice breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

we booked our room through motels.com and needed 3 beds due to traveling with teenagers of opposite sex. the room was spacious and more than adequate to spread out. the owner was very personable. the continental style breakfast buffet fit our needs very well as we left quickly the next morning. we plan to book the same room next month. looking forward to our stay. there was one doorknob that was loose in the bathroom but this would be my only criticism

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

booked this inn (translation: motel) because I was travelling with my infant child and I wanted a room that had a separate sleeping area for a baby, so I wouldn't have to go lights-out at 7pm. I booked over the phone about a month in advance, and was quoted a rate of $99 per night for a two bedroom suite, which sounded pretty good. I asked for an email confirmation and was told that "we don't do that, we are a small business." Okay, whatever. That should have been my first sign. When I showed up to check in, the desk clerk found my reservation and said "$120 per night" and when I protested, he shrugged and said he was the one who made the reservation, and it was never $99. Pardon me sir, but I can aurally detect the difference between $99 and $120. I should have turned around and drove to any of the other dozens of hotels within a mile or two of this place, but tired and traveling with a baby in serious need of a nap, I sucked it up but I felt like they were dishonest from the get-go.

Our room was right over the check-in area. We walked up an exterior staircase, having to step over piles of dirty towels on the landing that pretty much stayed there all day. Our room? On the plus side: it was big, with a more than adequate additional bedroom for the baby. The a/c worked well. It was quiet. On the downside: it wasn't really clean. There were urine sprinkles and pubic hair along the toilet rim. There was no soap in the bathoom. The beds were super-soft. There was no functioning remote control for the television. We made do, planning to stay there only one night.

The next morning, we were told that breakfast (continental) was served in a different building adjacent to the motel, starting at 8am. Even though 8am is really late for a baby, we waited. We walked over at 8:05 and as we entered the building, one of the workers told us to leave, and come back in 20 minutes. I said "but you said 8am yesterday" and he said "no, it's not ready." I don't think he understood English very well (which is meant as no offense to hardworking immigrants trying to assimilate, but seems essential in a customer service position). We walked around the parking lot for 20 minutes, steaming mad. When we went back, we encountered an awkward scenario. The continental breakfast was served at the owner's dining room table, which had about 6 chairs in a tiny room for the dozen or so people clamoring for breakfast. We grabbed a few donuts out of the box and went back to the parking lot. The donuts (of the store-brand boxed variety) were stale. We had enough: we packed and hit the road. I always leave a housekeeping tip but I was so disgusted by this whole experience, I didn't this time.

I'm not sure why these owners, who clearly have no idea how to make people feel comfortable, go into the "hospitality" business. They have a long way to go.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
phila
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

My husband and i stayed at my uncles house Excuse me I mean the relax inn in July. Our stay was harendous!!! There is no sound proofing, someone tried to enter our room, and breakfast consisted of small boxed cereal and small donuts w/ instant coffee. Plus you must remove your shoes at the door. What non-sense. I do not reccommend staying here.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — management
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
justjoshfunk1
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

I am not one to write reviews about hotels, but after my extremely unpleasant stay here I felt I had to do this.

My experience here was not good. The walls are paper thin, the bed is uncomfortable, the water pressure amounts to a few drops of water coming out of the shower head, and the "continental breakfast" consisted of four pieces of white bread accompanied by a half gallon of a knock off Sunny-D.

However, if these were my only complaints I wouldn't bother writing. My worse experience was with the staff.

Everyone I came into contact with was extremely bizarre and I was made to feel very uncomfortable. The family who owns this place lives within the home and they positively made us feel as if we were trespassing. They made us take our shoes off at the door, they creepily followed us around from the entry to our room, they were passively rude and just plain odd.

I would not stay here. There are a TON of similarly priced hotels along this very street to choose from. This place has the potential to be cute and quaint - but it pales in comparison to any other bed and breakfast I have stayed in. Stay away!

• Liked — Location. But there are tons of other options
  • Disliked — The bizarre staff.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Relax Inn? Share your experiences!